Question about Pressure points

nhE

White Belt
Reaction score
i have some question for you guys ..
1. did pressure points work on yourself? because i tried a lot of kyusho pressure points on myself , and nothing happened ... , why?
2. when you hit the pressure point on someone , you must lift the heel ? , if your foot is flat , the pressure points does't work?

thx

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Pressure points don't work on other people all the time either. Perhaps there are some energetic transfer reasons for them not working on oneself, just as people can't effectively perform any type of energy healing on themselves. Also you've been watching far too many Dillman videos if you buy into the whole lifting the heel thing. I've seen the hit and miss nature of pressure points first hand but when they didn't work it had nothing to do with the uke's heel being off the ground. There is a particular video with Leon Jay and George Dillman on youtube where Leon can't knock a guy out and George comes out at the end spouting crap about lifting the heel and touching the tongue on certain areas inside the mouth. Maybe these alter your energy(I don't care either way) but they don't suddenly make you invincible against pressure points.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes if DONE correctly they work. Why it does not work for you can be as TheTruth said or not enough pressure on the cavity to cause a reaction.

I do not think lifting the heel matters.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They work very well as nerve blocks so you can subdue pain till you get to a doctor ( if you know which ones to use)

Reactions: a.v

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
not every vulnerable point is vulnerable all the time. The posture and intent of the striker and the one struck make all the difference. I know some people who try to work this stuff like they are electricians wiring a lamp but I don't think it is such a good approach.

JustAVisitor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A easy pressure point... let your arms drop along your body and touch your thighs with the tip of your F... fingers. There. A side kick to this point really disables one leg of your opponent who loses his leg sensitivity. It feels like the leg has just disappeared.... It does not need much precision and is pretty easy to practice... beware of deep bruises though... ;)

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
A easy pressure point... let your arms drop along your body and touch your thighs with the tip of your F... fingers. There. A side kick to this point really disables one leg of your opponent who loses his leg sensitivity. It feels like the leg has just disappeared.... It does not need much precision and is pretty easy to practice... beware of deep bruises though... ;)

I've been hit here and it certainly hurts but doesn't disable the leg in such a dramatic fashion. At school we used to knee the area to give 'dead legs'. More a pain related area.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, in my art, the point of using that specific pressure point is to make it easier to execute sweeps and throws... The opponent is briefly distracted / put out of balance and then you can do your technique with more ease than without having struck that pressure point... You're not intending to disable the leg - you're trying to get it out of balance for a brief moment.

nHe said:
1. did pressure points work on yourself? because i tried a lot of kyusho pressure points on myself , and nothing happened ... , why?
Well, it depends on the 'type' of pressure points... I've never tried accupuncture points on myself, so I don't know whether they work. However, 'nerve knots' (ganglia?) like the plexus solaris tend to work very well... Actually you don't have to use much force with me - a light tap can be enough to make me fall to the ground (which is really annoying and embarrassing).
The 'pressure point' that Justavisitor described is also a ganglion - a place where lots of nerves come together and usually cause a tingling (or slightly painful) sensation when struck. However, the most important use of striking ganglia is that they make the muscle relax for a brief moment so you can, for instance, wrench yourself out of your opponent's grip or sweep him to the ground without much effort. The only problem is that some people are 'resistant' to the pain/strange sensation that striking such a point causes... So I wouldn't depend too much on them - they can come in useful but you should also focus on other aspects of your art.

Nishibi Ryu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Pressure points work well on me and 2 of my sons the 3rd feels almost nothing. I had a friend who might as well have been dead he feels nothing even if I grab his hair and pull full on, he just stands there and looks at me as if to say WHAT!!!!
If you do them to yourself you may be off in your acuracy and angle, and many other reasons. There is nothing mythical about these points they were listed in Jujutsu books in 1904 but not with much explanation.
You need to study them quite a lot and they will vary from person to person and age.
Try them on body builders first they will make anyone look good, the bigger the arm the bigger the target, I really like doing arm locks on them they go on so fast

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2. when you hit the pressure point on someone , you must lift the heel ? , if your foot is flat , the pressure points does't work?

thx
Pressure points which I can reach and apply to myself properly do work. The issue is that my ability or desire to give myself serious pain is limited. It is like intentionally putting your hand on a hot skillet. I could force someone else's hand into a skillet. Myself, not so much.

I do not know anything about lifting the heel when striking or attacking a pressure point.

In my very limited experience, pressure point attacks can work and be effective, if a variety of things happen to be true. First, the person doing it has to do it properly. Second, they have to practice it diligently, not just a few hours in a class for a couple days. Third, they have to commit to the technique. Again, in my limited experience, there are often a myriad of techniques available that would be more effective (for me) in many such circumstances.

In other words, I'm unlikely to do a nerve bundle attack on an elbow when I can punch the dude in the face.

When I was younger and working as a Marine MP, non-joint destructive and non-lethal techniques to include pressure points, locks, and nerve cluster attacks, were considered preferable and we worked a lot on them. They do work, when done right. But easy they are not, at least not for me.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience with pressure points (I use them a LOT in the ER, where you can't hit a violent person or choke them out) is that they work on everyone. The caveat to that statement is that while every person is vulnerable to correctly applied pressure, not every pressure point will work on every person. So if you go for point A, you better have a point B in mind, to shift to if A doesn't work.

If you're performing them on yourself and none of them work, it's one of two things.
1 - You're not doing them right. Get someone who knows what they're doing to apply them to you instead.
B - You're not human. In which case, check with a practitioner from your home world.
This makes no sense. Pressure points work by pinching a nerve between your hand (or whatever) and something rigid. Most commonly, this means your thumb or fingers pushing the nerve against a bone. Lifting your heel will have no impact on the effectiveness of that pinch.

It also helps to have realistic expectations. There's nothing magical about pressure points. With very few exceptions, they cause a shocking amount of pain, but only briefly. You cannot expect to grab a nerve and use it to control someone for 10 minutes. You CAN use it to give you an opportunity to move to a more long-term control.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score

thx
Right off the bat, its important to understand that Kyoshu jitsu is pseudo-science bollocks. None of it is real. you cannot touch a point on a person's arm and "shut down the energy" to their kidneys or whatever, it's just plain nonsense. keeping your foot flat has nothing to do with if a pressure point works or not, thats just some apologetics that Kyoshu jitsu practitioners use to explain away why their nonsense isn't working on people other than their own students. That being said, there are a few plexus throughout the human body where nerves and/or blood vessels cluster together. Most of these plexus are protected with bone and muscle and are not accessible without surgery but a few can be touched from the surface of the body if enough force is applies, such as the celiac (solar) plexus and brachial plexus. if you hit these points just right it causes a lot of pain for just a second and may even cause minor disorientation or temporary loss of respiratory function. There are also a few spots where individual nerves aren't as protected that cause pain but they are small and harder to find.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone pitching pressure points as a legitimate and reliable method of self defense or fighting is full it it.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone pitching pressure points as a legitimate and reliable method of self defense or fighting is full it it.
OR...someone completely opposed to it has a very specific definition of what they view as "pressure points" and are painting the topic with too broad a brush stroke.

But, I do agree that there is a lot of BS out there as well. I just define specifically what is the BS about it and don't poo-poo the whole thing.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think often people make the mistake of equating kyusho to pressure points. Pressure points are a subset of kyusho and whilst they can be useful they really only play a fairly minor "force multiplier" role to good structural technique
Kyusho is essentially the study of the human anatomy to understand where to target your strikes with what type of fist (or weapon) and at what moment
It's a physical thing and if anyone starts talking about ki, energy, tongue positions, having your heel up or similar then it's pretty clear that they have no idea about kyusho

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think often people make the mistake of equating kyusho to pressure points. Pressure points are a subset of kyusho and whilst they can be useful they really only play a fairly minor "force multiplier" role to good structural technique
Kyusho is essentially the study of the human anatomy to understand where to target your strikes with what type of fist (or weapon) and at what moment
It's a physical thing and if anyone starts talking about ki, energy, tongue positions, having your heel up or similar then it's pretty clear that they have no idea about kyusho
Yes, I misread the question :oops:

Pressure points are much better used for their health benefits - but maybe that statement is a little too out there for this forum - hopefully this comment will not draw more attacks and ridicule from forum members🤞

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Have a word with Mark Kline and see what he has on offer - you might find something of interest:
oh man you got me...someone found a link on the internet to support their position. game over i guess.
no pressure points a not a serious self defense tactic. i don't really care what some blogger online says.
have you looked up any of his videos? he's pure mcdojo scam ********.
absolutely none of the stuff he shows here would work against a resisting opponent or dedicated attacker.
none of what he's showing is against the rules in MMA and many of these areas have pressure applied to them through out many MMA fights with no such results. i'm not sure how old you are, but you're living in a fantasy world if you think this scam artist is legit.

Last edited:

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
OR...someone completely opposed to it has a very specific definition of what they view as "pressure points" and are painting the topic with too broad a brush stroke.

But, I do agree that there is a lot of BS out there as well. I just define specifically what is the BS about it and don't poo-poo the whole thing.
the entire concept of pressure points is based in pseudo-science.

are there parts of the body that are more tender or sensitive than others for various reasons? sure. are you going to aggressively poke or jab a finger or two into them and cause enough damage or pain to reliably get away from an attacker or end a fight? hell no.
anyone claiming to teach self defense that teaches pressure points has never been in a real fight before.

Latest Discussions