Question about Pai Lum Tao

P

pknox

I was flipping through an older issue of Inside Kung Fu, and saw an interesting article on Pai Lum Tao. One thing I noticed was that all of the practitioners pictured in the article were wearing what looked like leather wrist braces and a belt, studded with spikes, which appeared to be metal. I was just curious - does anyone out there study Pai Lum Tao, and if so, can they tell me why these are worn? Are they only worn by advanced practitioners, and so also serve as a sort of badge of rank, or does everybody who trains in the system wear them?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll leave this to the Pai Lum people here in the forum If no one answeres in a day or so Ill try to find the answere for you. I do know that not all Pai Lum practictioners wear them

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not an expert in Pai Lum Tao, but what you are refering to is used by some of my kung fu brothers (from other KFE schools) many of whom practice southern styles, mainly Hung Gar. From what I understand, they are to inflict more damage to the opponant, protect the wearer from injury in those areas, the waist acts as a sash to aid in correct breathing, and also they use them to add weight resistance to their training.

Aside from those explinations, I do not know much more about them.

7sm

Latest Discussions