Question about a pulled muscle

Tiger-eye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I pulled a muscle a few months ago (bottom half of my inner thigh) and it didn't heal properly. It is super tight and despite stretching it gently a few times a day, it stays super stiff. Any tips? My third degree test is coming up this upcoming summer and I'd hate for it to get in the way.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I hate when that happens! The last time I had a good, very sore muscle pull like that it took me weeks to heal because I kept re-injuring it by continued training. I tried various remedies, but the only thing that really helped me recover was resting the leg muscle. Luckily for you, your 3rd dan test isn't until next summer as you mentioned. Good luck with your recovery and test.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bottom half of your inner thigh is probably one of your adductors. That's a pain I had a lot after I had hip surgery, so I'll tell you a couple things I did as part of my PT that helped me.

One is to do side leg-lifts to strengthen the adductors. The way they had me do them is a little different than how people usually do them - instead of laying the top leg straight on top of the bottom leg, let it fall back slightly, so your top ankle is maybe 6 inches behind your bottom ankle. They also had me use a foam roller, just to lay on it with it under the tops of my thighs and roll back and forth, which loosened up everything. You can kind of use it on the inside of your thigh, but it's more awkward. You can also get a massage stick that you hold and roll over the tight area, kind of like a plastic rolling pin, and it can help loosen things up too. Lastly, get a reusable hot pad to use on the area after exercising or just whenever if it's bugging you. Heat is very relaxing.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some light training and rehab work as Watergal says should be fine as long as you are not overdoing it on the strength work - but it is important to keep the muscles in use. On top of your self-help, it may pay dividends if you can afford to get a decent experienced (these are hard to find and worth their weight in gold!!) masseuse to really work the area a few times. I have had some adductor work and I can tell you, it hurts like hell (and is genuinely an unpleasant experience for all) in that area, but at least yours is lower down the thigh, but it was well worth it for me.

Latest Discussions