Queen and Prince ?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do maintain that the fanny pack is the rest of the world trying to steal our sporran. And I look great in a kilt.

You should know better than to call it a fanny pack, that's considered rude. šŸ˜Æ

Sir Terry is totally Ankh Morpork aristocracy šŸ˜šŸ˜ he was far above those who got titles for landing grabbing, slept with the monarch, fought and schemes for the monarch etc. We do tend here to call everyone with a title an aristocrat, it's more of a class thing than a technicality. It's not usually done with respect apart from a few special people.

Charles is actually a warm man who feels more than most but has never been allowed to show emotions. His uncle Lord Mountbatten was a tyrant, look up what he did in India, Phillip was no better. If you meet Charles in a small group he doesn't appear the same as he does on big occasions. I was at RAF Cranwell the same time as him for a few months. He's done a tremendous amount of charity work, the Prince's Trust is fantastic, I say work because has really thrown himself into many causes. I like him, it seems that his approval ratings have gone up here as people realise he's more than they thought.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You should know better than to call it a fanny pack, that's considered rude. šŸ˜Æ

Sir Terry is totally Ankh Morpork aristocracy šŸ˜šŸ˜ he was far above those who got titles for landing grabbing, slept with the monarch, fought and schemes for the monarch etc. We do tend here to call everyone with a title an aristocrat, it's more of a class thing than a technicality. It's not usually done with respect apart from a few special people.

Charles is actually a warm man who feels more than most but has never been allowed to show emotions. His uncle Lord Mountbatten was a tyrant, look up what he did in India, Phillip was no better. If you meet Charles in a small group he doesn't appear the same as he does on big occasions. I was at RAF Cranwell the same time as him for a few months. He's done a tremendous amount of charity work, the Prince's Trust is fantastic, I say work because has really thrown himself into many causes. I like him, it seems that his approval ratings have gone up here as people realise he's more than they thought.
I see Charles a little like Jimmy Carter.
except of course Carter wasn't forced to marry a woman he had nothing in common with.
Now the world has to rethink state presents.
It used to be Horses would do.
Now you better brush up on your heritage breeds and rare plants.

(and yes, the royals are an industrial branch without which the UK would really be up the creek right now.)
It is a little difficult to understand that some countries do have an unpolitical head of state and an active head of government.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the audience here is American. It's a term they know. An awful lot have just been googling "sporran"...
I was referring mostly to his public image. His parenting skills seem pretty inadequate, but I put that down to the way he was raised. The stiff upper lip may be a tradition, but there really are better ways.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thereā€™s a relevant passage from Sir Terry Pratchett:

Royalty was like dandelions. No matter how many heads you chopped off, the roots were still there underground, waiting to spring up again.

It seemed to be a chronic disease. It was as if even the most intelligent person had this little blank spot in their heads where someone had written: "Kings. What a good idea." Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees.

Sort of. Royalty do a very important job of protecting the constitution from our elected officials.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the audience here is American. It's a term they know. An awful lot have just been googling "sporran"...

I was referring mostly to his public image. His parenting skills seem pretty inadequate, but I put that down to the way he was raised. The stiff upper lip may be a tradition, but there really are better ways.
I think they should also Google what fanny means off here and they'd realise why we crack up laughing at them šŸ˜

Charles by all accounts (his sons) is a very good father, determined I think to give them what he didn't have. His public outings with them always seemed warm. He's actually an emotional man, we watched him last night at the Festival of Remembrance, his face gives him away. You could also see the closeness between him and William by the way they look at each other. We'll see him again this morning at the Cenotaph.
Diana chose boarding school for them, he didnt. Charles was the first Royal to go to school, they'd all had governess and tutors before that. She'd promised them she's spend the last two weeks of school holidays with them but instead went to Paris. Diana damaged them by treating them as confidantes telling them all her problems, they were too young.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they should also Google what fanny means off here and they'd realise why we crack up laughing at them šŸ˜
0049A803-7CC8-4358-8C16-2D6A35C2FD05.jpeg

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fanny was a national treasure, too. Mind you, so was Jimmy Savile! šŸ¤”

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fanny was a national treasure, too. Mind you, so was Jimmy Savile! šŸ¤”

So many people fawned over Savile, it was sickening. We still don't know how many people knew what he was up to, ugh. šŸ˜±šŸ˜ 

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the misfortune to ā€˜workā€™ with ā€˜Jimmy Sir-vileā€™ twice: once at Stoke Mandeville Hospital where he had offices and then, years later at the LGI where he also had offices for some reason. He asked if he could bring several 14-15yr olds down to the clinical skills centre where I and a few others would show them how to take blood, do CPR, defibrillate etc. They turned up as did he looking weird as he always did and the kids look a bit puzzled as theyā€™d never heard of this bizarre bloke in a tracksuit (it was the early naughties). Sir-Vile went around each young person, shook the hands of the boys with a, ā€œNow then, now then young manā€ but the girlsā€¦.he lifted their hands to his face and kissed their hands very slowly and salaciously while trying to maintain eye contact. šŸ¤¢šŸ¤® It was awful and I wanted to charge up the defib and zap him across his temples! <shudder>

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not all that different to what it means here. And most people here laugh at fanny packs, if not necessarily for the name. I have one with (among other things) a concealed holster that I sometimes wear. I just prefer to call it a sporran.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So when Charles first became king I saw him shaking hands with all these people, many no doubt were commoners, and he wasn't wearing gloves. I had heard somewhere that one of the rules of the royal family is to not make direct contact with anybody who is not royalty so therefore if somebody was of the royal family and they were to shake hands with you, if you were not royalty yourself they would wear gloves. That could be wrong but I did hear that somewhere.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So when Charles first became king I saw him shaking hands with all these people, many no doubt were commoners, and he wasn't wearing gloves. I had heard somewhere that one of the rules of the royal family is to not make direct contact with anybody who is not royalty so therefore if somebody was of the royal family and they were to shake hands with you, if you were not royalty yourself they would wear gloves. That could be wrong but I did hear that somewhere.
I am sure you heard it somewhere.
However, being king he can change the rules for one.
He is also of a different generation than his mother who was slightly younger than my Grandmother. She would never leave the house without gloves. Ever. And she was by no means a queen.

I think Diana was often enough pictured shaking hands with the masses bare handed.

One other reason why the Royals are such an industrial asset not only for the UK but also for the world: So many people who 'know' just what the royals can and cannot do, say, wear....

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I heard that Elvis is alive and well, and helping aliens abduct people somewhere in the western US.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is also of a different generation than his mother who was slightly younger than my Grandmother. She would never leave the house without gloves. Ever. And she was by no means a queen.

I think Diana was often enough pictured shaking hands with the masses bare handed.

One other reason why the Royals are such an industrial asset not only for the UK but also for the world: So many people who 'know' just what the royals can and cannot do, say, wear....
The touch from royalty was once believed to cure many ills- tuberculous, cervical lymphadenitis (scrofula or the King's Evil), rheumatism, convulsions, fevers, blindness, goitre and other ailments. From Elizabeth I, the touch was only applied to people suffering from scrofula and people would pay for the privilege! Queen Elizabeth II seemed to wear her dress gloves when she was out and about meeting the ā€˜great unwashedā€™ but I think this was just for convenience. King Charles III appears to have some medical condition that makes his fingers swell up. Heā€˜s referred to his ā€˜sausage fingersā€˜ a few times a few times.

Having worked with the public (in a medical capacity), I would personally wear a full biohazard suit when dealing with them again. They are filthy and the thought of touching them <shudders>šŸ¤¢ā€¦there isnā€™t enough hand sanitiser in the the whole world.

I once had a ā€˜meet and greetā€™ with Edward Van Halen. He wore gloves to shake our hands and there was a hand written sign next to him which said, ā€˜Please Do Not Squeeze Eddieā€™s Handā€™ šŸ˜„šŸ˜‚

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wearing gloves when out was a real thing, all ladies did it as well as wearing a hat. Men always wore hats too. It all stopped in the sixties really when Swinging Britain started, Barnaby Street, The Beatles, Twiggy etc.

I do wish people would stop saying the Royal Family can't do this or that, etc. It's a modern organisation, pays taxes and has enough young people in it and working for it to keep it relevant.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wearing gloves when out was a real thing, all ladies did it as well as wearing a hat. Men always wore hats too. It all stopped in the sixties really when Swinging Britain started, Barnaby Street, The Beatles, Twiggy etc.
I look a berk when I wear a hat. But now Iā€™m very ā€˜thin on topā€™ and advancing age has dulled my self-consciousness, I wear one when itā€™s cold or rainingā€¦.a cool Skandi take on the flat cap to hint at my northern origins! Gloves? only when itā€™s icy which is rare in Devon.

I do wish people would stop saying the Royal Family can't do this or that, etc. It's a modern organisation, pays taxes and has enough young people in it and working for it to keep it relevant.
ā€˜Modernā€™? ā€™Relevantā€™? Not sure I agree with those ideas. The Royal family will likely disappear in a few generations thanks to the pervasive influence of the media and the behaviour of Charles, Andrew and Edward were the start of itā€™s inexorable decline.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I look a berk when I wear a hat. But now Iā€™m very ā€˜thin on topā€™ and advancing age has dulled my self-consciousness, I wear one when itā€™s cold or rainingā€¦.a cool Skandi take on the flat cap to hint at my northern origins! Gloves? only when itā€™s icy which is rare in Devon.

ā€˜Modernā€™? ā€™Relevantā€™? Not sure I agree with those ideas. The Royal family will likely disappear in a few generations thanks to the pervasive influence of the media and the behaviour of Charles, Andrew and Edward were the start of itā€™s inexorable decline.
Talking to young people, I'm a Guide leader, I've found they do like the Royal Family and see it continuing. They see William as the future king and love Catherine, they're the ones that make it modern and relevant. We also see the Countess of Wessex a lot, she's our President, her daughter is a Guide too, she's much loved, a very caring lady. Charles and his brothers are largely ignored as they are 'old'. The girls do seem to discount the media far more than adults do which is reassuring.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I look a berk when I wear a hat.
You know who rocks a fedora? Our own @Bill Mattocks.
But now Iā€™m very ā€˜thin on topā€™
If you look really close at my avatar, you can see that I have gotten just the tiniest bit thin on top too. You'd barely notice if I didn't point it out.
and advancing age has dulled my self-consciousness, I wear one when itā€™s cold or rainingā€¦.a cool Skandi take on the flat cap to hint at my northern origins!
I go full on ski cap. But it's a different environment here.
Gloves? only when itā€™s icy which is rare in Devon.
I'm in Colorado. That's pretty much from now until March or April.
Going down this path will end with the thread locked as political... Zero stars, do not recommend.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talking to young people, I'm a Guide leader, I've found they do like the Royal Family and see it continuing. They see William as the future king and love Catherine, they're the ones that make it modern and relevant. We also see the Countess of Wessex a lot, she's our President, her daughter is a Guide too, she's much loved, a very caring lady. Charles and his brothers are largely ignored as they are 'old'. The girls do seem to discount the media far more than adults do which is reassuring.
Girl guides arenā€™t normal kids, Tez3. Theyā€™re predominantly middle class kids with middle-classed parentā€™s attitudes. Kidā€™s from the ghettos of Manchester etc donā€˜t care about the Royalsā€¦why would they beā€¦.they are so far removed from them and their impoverished lives.

William and Kate are cool, but the others can take a running jump!

Latest Discussions