Queen and Prince ?

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This question of mostly for our MT family in the UK, but anyone with the answer can chime in.

No disrespect intended for the Crown, but why isn't the Queen's husband the King? Will Charles ever ascend to the throne? I ask purely out of curiosity and not out of sarcasm (which is the more common motivator for questions from me).

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
the queen's husband is not the king because his family was not high enough in the royal bloodline. So he is the Crown Prince. When the queen dies, Charles the Prince of Wales will become King. Or one of his sons if that is how they want to do it, he may pass it over.

I believe that Diana would have been queen, her family was high enough - her father was an Earl I think.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Queen's husband is the royal consort (spouse of the reigning member of the royal family) but is not the king because he is not royal.

Prince Charles, if I understand it correctly, took himself out of the succession when he divorced Diana; his elder son is next in the succession.

A royal spouse can be crowned along with the reigning monarch, but doesn't have to be.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually I believe Charles is next in line, at least that's what we are led to believe here in Jolly ole England. Although Edward had to abdicate to marry HIS divorcee I believe that attitudes have changed and the fact that Charles has married a divorcee is seen as normal these days and other things are changing with the royals as well.

I personally think Charles SHOULD abdicate in favour of his 1st born son, but it's not up to me I guess, it's up to the Queen who she passes her crown on to.

http://www.yougov.com/interactive/humphrysMain.asp?jID=3&aId=1752&sID=5&pID=&wId=0&UID=

As for the Prince Phillip question, only the heir to the throne can be crowned, if Phillip became King he would rule alongside the queen and he isnt' the actually heir, only the Spouse, he was a Captain not a Prince.

The Royal Website will give you more info on how the monarchy works.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page1.asp

CityChicken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Actually I believe Charles is next in line, at least that's what we are led to believe here in Jolly ole England. Although Edward had to abdicate to marry HIS divorcee I believe that attitudes have changed and the fact that Charles has married a divorcee is seen as normal these days and other things are changing with the royals as well.

I personally think Charles SHOULD abdicate in favour of his 1st born son, but it's not up to me I guess, it's up to the Queen who she passes her crown on to.

http://www.yougov.com/interactive/humphrysMain.asp?jID=3&aId=1752&sID=5&pID=&wId=0&UID=

As for the Prince Phillip question, only the heir to the throne can be crowned, if Phillip became King he would rule alongside the queen and he isnt' the actually heir, only the Spouse, he was a Captain not a Prince.

The Royal Website will give you more info on how the monarchy works.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page1.asp

That is fascinating stuff. I'm just an plain old American. ;-) I did not know that a Roman Catholic cannot be the monarch nor can anyone in the line marry a Roman Catholic and they must uphold the Protestant traditions. thanks for the info.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shaderon beat me to it :D.

I used to be quite anti-monarchist in my youth but I've totally changed my tune since my late 'teens when I studied Politics as part of my Economics degree.

Realising the role that the Royal Family plays in the political and diplomatic sphere (as well as handily moderating religious extremism) means that I am quite happy to raise my glass (of 15 year Laphroaig, tonight ... yum) with a toast of "The Queen!".

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
*Raises a glass of Powers to your Laphroiaig*

I'm not sure what the reaction will be to Charles changing the title "Defender of the faith" to "Defender of the faiths" will be when he is crowned, but lets just hope that is helps his do his job in this aspect. I didn't like it when it was first announced, but on reflection I think it's a wise move.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
And on an interesting note, one of Charles' middle names is "Arthur." His full name is Charles Philip Arthur George. So, he could choose to become King Arthur the First when he is crowned (the King Arthur we read about is of legend with ties to truth, but never has been verified).
Several other kings chose their middle names upon coronation. I doubt it would happen, but it is interesting trivia.

AoG

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
And, on another note, his current wife, Carmilla Parker Bowles, will NOT take the title of queen one day. She will take the title of Her "Royal Highness The Princess Consort," which is similar to the queen's husband's title.

AoG

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
This question of mostly for our MT family in the UK, but anyone with the answer can chime in.

No disrespect intended for the Crown, but why isn't the Queen's husband the King? Will Charles ever ascend to the throne? I ask purely out of curiosity and not out of sarcasm (which is the more common motivator for questions from me).

Why isn't Prince Phillip called king? Because in royal circles there is a clear hierarchy and it is patriarchal. Therefore a King ranks higher than a Queen. So even though Phillip is from the Greek royal family he is The Royal consort because to call him King would rank him above Queen Elizabeth.

Charles is most definitely the heir to the throne, hence the Prince of Wales title. He will ascend to the throne if he is alive. However, the history of sons of ruling queens is preety dismal. Their mothers seem to go on for ever and ever. Victoria's son Edward only ruled for a dozen years or so before dying. I expect Charles' situation to be very similar. Ascends to the throne when he is 70 rules for 5 years, dies, William becomes king.

A couple of interesting points.

Camilla has chosen not to take the title queen someday, though technically she could (the monarch will be a king). The other is the relationships between these people.

Because of Victoria's numerous children and her skill at marrying them off, almost all of the royal houses of Europe are now related. And its not a distant relation either, Victoria reigned in the latter half of the nineteenth century. The royal family of Greece (Phillip's family) is quite new and mostly springs from one of Victoria's daughters (I think) so Elizabeth and Phillip are cousins.

I do find royal relations in Europe very interesting.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Heir to the throne". Geez sounds soooo cliche-ish doesn't it? You hear that in over 1000 movies revolving around a monarchy and now England is one of the few remaining countries with a powerful royal line. Yet the power isn't there as it was before, it's almost honorary as parlament makes the laws and all that... (correct or no?).

Royalty... it was all a matter of who had the most money way back when, who had the most land and who declared himself KING and all others bowed to his will. And that line has been sustained since... (though it may have been tainted by Scots... :D )
Either way if they still went by who had the most money then JK Rowling would/could call herself Queen as she is reportedly richer than the present Royals now. Hmm, what a thought. You'd think she be a dutchess or something like that now considering the wealth she represents... or doesn't it work that way??

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Heir to the throne". Geez sounds soooo cliche-ish doesn't it? You hear that in over 1000 movies revolving around a monarchy and now England is one of the few remaining countries with a powerful royal line. Yet the power isn't there as it was before, it's almost honorary as parlament makes the laws and all that... (correct or no?).

Royalty... it was all a matter of who had the most money way back when, who had the most land and who declared himself KING and all others bowed to his will. And that line has been sustained since... (though it may have been tainted by Scots... :D )
Either way if they still went by who had the most money then RK Rowling would/could call herself Queen as she is reportedly richer than the present Royals now. Hmm, what a thought. You'd think she be a dutchess or something like that now considering the wealth she represents... or doesn't it work that way??

Parliament in England has governed on behalf of the monarch since the Civil War (1642 - 1651), more or less.

It is interesting to look at the situation of the monarchy in Britain throughout its history. The early monarchy (Anglo-Saxon) did not have a clear patrimonial line of hereditary succession. The king chose his heir from among the nobility with royal bloodlines. This is how William the Conqueror was able to justify his usurping the throne. The Normans introduced the more formal hereditary succession, the people got whatever was born. Interestingly, the position of the monarch was not strong. The barons and other nobles had much more power, mainly because they held more land than the king. The king's personal holdings were often quite small.

The weak position of the monarchy was thrown into particular clarity during the reign of King John. The result being Magna Carta, upon which most civil law in the western world is based. From that time the fortunes of the monarch have fluctuated from strength like Henry VIII and Elizabeth I to weakness like Charles I.

After the Civil War the monarchy was more settled and still had great power. The monarch dominated the House of Lords for a long time and thus controlled law-making. By the time of Victoria, however, the situation had changed. The monarch was not so influential in law-making. Victoria was so well respected by parliament, however, that they generally did as she asked.

Skip forward two monarchs and parliament essentially forces the king to abdicate to marry a divorcee (Edward, it turns out, was a Nazi sympathiser and may have been working for them in the Carribean). A funny thing given Henry's original establishing of the Anglican Church to allow divorce and remarriage.

A lot of titles have been sold over the years. As a noble family loses land to the govenrment other through business, they become poor but are still nobility. More than one American has bought a title. I suppose JK Rowling could buy one, but given the overwhekming success of Harry Potter she just has to wait. She'll be given one soon I should think.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Such matters are not discussed in public by His Royal Highness’s subjects 😉

I thought it was simply down to the Royal bloodline. If you do not have considerable quantities of ‘House of Windsor‘ genes within your genome, you can never hold the title King /Queen. Camila is Queen consort, the Duchess of Cambridge (Prince William’s wife) will also be Queen consort.

There is a Netflix series called ‘The Crown’ which is constructed of entirely fictitious dialogue based around actual historical events. Many people are unable to understand that it is a work of fiction…like the ‘Da Vinci Code’ or Eiji Yoshikawa’s ’Musashi’ and thus they allow ‘The Crown’ to misinform their opinions and attitudes towards our over-privileged, out-of-touch, stinkingly-rich Royal Family.

If you want a really good read about the world’s oldest Royal family (Japan) , check out ‘Princess Masako: Prisoner of the Chrysanthemum Throne’. They have the ‘men in black suits’, pulling all the strings, the U.K. has ‘The Palace’ 😳

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well he has now. Congratulations

That's nice.

The King is 'His Majesty' now, his wife whoever she was is Queen Consort as she's not Queen in her own right, it's a fancy way of saying she's married to the king. She's addressed as Your Majesty, and will be crowned alongside Charles in May.

William and Catherine formerly the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are now the Prince and Princess of Wales.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's nice.

The King is 'His Majesty' now, his wife whoever she was is Queen Consort as she's not Queen in her own right, it's a fancy way of saying she's married to the king. She's addressed as Your Majesty, and will be crowned alongside Charles in May.

William and Catherine formerly the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are now the Prince and Princess of Wales.
Well congratulations to them all.

And my condolences, I know your country is dealing with a lot right now, lots of changes.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well congratulations to them all.

And my condolences, I know your country is dealing with a lot right now, lots of changes.
Thank you, I think we're actually sinking without trace. They say we are all in the same storm but some are in luxury yachts but most are on rafts made of lead.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you see The King having eggs thrown at him in York? He was very nearly struck and the woman behind and to his right in a decorative military uniform (?King’s Lieutenant?) deftly used tai sabaki to twist out of the way of the incoming dairy products! I was a bit surprised that she didn’t try and shield him with her body by stepping in the path of the ova…what if the assailant was about to throw hard boiled eggs?😳

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you see The King having eggs thrown at him in York? He was very nearly struck and the woman behind and to his right in a decorative military uniform (?King’s Lieutenant?) deftly used tai sabaki to twist out of the way of the incoming dairy products! I was a bit surprised that she didn’t try and shield him with her body by stepping in the path of the ova…what if the assailant was about to throw hard boiled eggs?😳
The lady in uniform is North Yorkshire's Lord Lieutenant Jo Ropner, the uniform is of the office, she's not military in any way and is not expected to defend the king. That's his bodyguard/ Equerry's job, he's known as 'The Hunk' having made ladies swoon all over the UK and further afield with his good looks and kilt. 😉
Jo lives up the road from my son and we know her through Guiding.

Latest Discussions