Push on your opponent's shoulder when he punches you

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
When your opponent throws a right punch at you, if you can push on his right shoulder, you can stop his punch before that punch can generate enough speed and power. You can solve the problem during the initial stage.

This simple solution has not been used very often in the striking art, why?

Your thought?
Every style I have trained uses some form of shoulder or biceps stop.
It is common in Jeet Kune Do, Kali, Balintawak, and Kick Boxing.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since your opponent can lean his head back, your punch that can reach to his shoulder may not be able to reach to his head.

It's like 2 persons in a sword fight. A swings sword to cut B's head off. At the same time, B also swings sword to cut A's head off. Nobody win in that situation. Unless you have so much hate that you want o die with your opponent, you should consider your own safety more than hurting your opponent.

In the following clip, A punches at B. B use both hands to block that punch (1 hand on the leading arm, one hand on the shoulder). Since A's left hand is free, A will punch B with it. B then wraps A's left arm, and do his thing. In the whole process, B considers his own safety first.

https://i.postimg.cc/zfbBNKLD/Chang-head-lock.gif
I'd say that a punch that has enough force to have any effect at the shoulder (hard enough to either stun the shoulder or change structure) is likely capable of hitting the face at that range. Heads don't lean back well, because moving far requires movement of the body (which is much slower than a punch). Sure, there's a difference in range, but it's much easier to make something happen with a sharp shot to the face than a sharp shot to the shoulder. And you've mentioned several times using punches as grabs. If a punch to the shoulder can grab, you're almost certainly within easy jabbing distance of the face.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Seems a valid use, but I would think that if you can land this, then you could land a punch to the face which would be more effective?
Not uncommon in boxing to punch the arms or shoulders to sap energy from your opponents punches. Doesn't mean you don't also hit the head, but after 10 rounds, if the other guy can't punch with power, it helps.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not uncommon in boxing to punch the arms or shoulders to sap energy from your opponents punches. Doesn't mean you don't also hit the head, but after 10 rounds, if the other guy can't punch with power, it helps.
I wasn't aware that was a common tactic.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Must be I was taught it at low competition level 35+ years ago :)
Didn't train in boxing, but in martial arts damaging limbs is naturally accepted as a strategy.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So...
If someone throws a fist at me I should strike their arm away? Or the opposite shoulder?
For me, pick what's closer. Destroy fist with elbow. If not possible, destroy forearm with your fist or your forearm arm. If not possible, destroy elbow. If not possible, destroy biceps or triceps. If not possible, strike heart location, strike ribs, strike organs. If not possible, strike jaw and facial bone below eye. If not possible, strike legs or lower part.

I don't really attack the shoulders. Attacking the clavicle would be a bigger reward in a fight.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So...
If someone throws a fist at me I should strike their arm away? Or the opposite shoulder?
take what your enemy is willing to give you. Think of it this way. In Muay Thai. If you give your legs they will surely take them.

If your opponent gives you his/her arms then take it.

nigebj

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So...
Leading shoulder, not opposite. Can be as simple as a straight arm block to the shoulder, or a punch to the shoulder (closer would be an elbow strike as you guard). This is an anticipation move though in that you need to get it early in their strike. Sure you block or parry the strike as you go for the shoulder.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It may be Japanese Jiu Jitsu. That style has strikes and kicks.

It's called sport jiu jitsu. That is the name of the competition style, sport jiu jitsu.
It’s a competition format, originated by Ernie Boggs, I believe. Before I started BJJ I had a couple of instructors (Danzan Ryu offshoot) who were on the US National Team one year.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that was a common tactic.
I wouldn't say it's common, wouldn't say it's rare either. But it's certainly not new.

Rocky Marciano was having a bad time fighting Roland LaStarza. LaStarza was looking like he would win. Then the Rock started pounding the heck out of LaStarza'a arms......until he couldn't keep his hands up no more.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's common, wouldn't say it's rare either. But it's certainly not new.

Rocky Marciano was having a bad time fighting Roland LaStarza. LaStarza was looking like he would win. Then the Rock started pounding the heck out of LaStarza'a arms......until he couldn't keep his hands up no more.
By the end of that post, I was hearing it read by Burgess Meredith in my head.

Koryuhoka

Orange Belt
Reaction score
When your opponent throws a right punch at you, if you can push on his right shoulder, you can stop his punch before that punch can generate enough speed and power. You can solve the problem during the initial stage.

This simple solution has not been used very often in the striking art, why?

Your thought?

It hasn't been used much because many who begin training in arts that use this type of technique, never stay long enough because they're too "flowery" and have "useless" movements.

This is something you learn from practitioners with extensive knowledge, as it has been adapted throughout various systems. I have heard this idea called "cutting the road", and I believe it originates, or used extensively in Tong Bei Quan and related arts.

The shoulder is one of the target interceptions of this idea as well as the crook of the arm and the hips. In extreme instances the throat is an option. In Wing Chun, that low kick with the foot pointed slightly outwards is for this purpose. It prevents the attacker from kicking or advancing as it fits perfectly where the pelvic and thigh bone meet.

It's a Chinese technique! Yay!

Latest Discussions