Push on your opponent's shoulder when he punches you

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A description of the brachial plexus tie in and expected results of striking from the PPCT manual.

Attachments

• 16280210062392058300241614017770.jpg
    16280210062392058300241614017770.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 72

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Upon Re-reading my initial reply, I realize it would be very rude to push him when his lunch is being delivered. I mean, the fellow just wants a good meal after all. Let him have his lunch.
Especially if he was eating soup. Oyster crackers flying all over the place, wet napkins.

nigebj

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Interesting thread. Was the OP describing sparring or situational SD?

If SD, then this is a technique which can and does work well for a hook, especially haymaker from someone who is not trained.
block the swing on the lower arm, and straight arm the shoulder. As others noted, disrupts the attackers flow. Low risk from the other hand of the attacker, as a quick pivot allows the same defense on the other side if they try to wail on you.

Keeps you defensive, which might be beneficial (vs a pre-emptive face strike which in many jurisdictions will have you in trouble). Does not preclude an immediate strike either - pivot and use the lower arm to strike the neck/head of the attacker - or jab with the stopping arm immediately after the disrupt.

Not a defense against a trained fighter IMO, so not a ring technique that I can see - which is why you don't see it taught for 'sport'.

I'm currently well bruised up from exactly this technique being worked on for both swinging (forehand) knife and attacks as well as punch. The key is the next move after the disrupting jar to the shoulder. In isolation you'll just be exposing your chin (as noted), and lower torso to the attackers other hand/arm.

chiquest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When your opponent throws a right punch at you, if you can push on his right shoulder, you can stop his punch before that punch can generate enough speed and power. You can solve the problem during the initial stage.

This simple solution has not been used very often in the striking art, why?

Your thought?
My GrandMaster, Florentino S. PanciPanci, utilized this technique extensively. It requires a great amount of experience to identify and react to the attack that early, though.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At what point In The delivery of his lunch are you able to push on his shoulder? When he first starts to move and his lunch is nowhere near you? At the end just before he lands it? Somewhere in the middle?
My arms are short in comparison to many people I spar with. I'm going to give this one. Review of . Bad idea for people with shorter arms than the person punching lol.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The more common application for this concept is just a jab to the face as the opponent begins his punch.
This is when I do the technique. An opponent throws a punch = punch is already out of the gate. Me striking my opponent as he begins his punch = I'm striking my opponent before he can complete this beginning stage of his punch. This is much safer than trying to do the same thing when that punch is out of the gate.

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It seems to me that if your reflexes are such that you can see an opponent launching a punch and you can punch the opponent's shoulder before the punch arrives, then your reflexes are better than the opponent's reflexes and you could probably do a number of thing to avoid the punch, such as blocking, ducking, or punching the opponent on the nose.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It seems to me that if your reflexes are such that you can see an opponent launching a punch and you can punch the opponent's shoulder before the punch arrives, then your reflexes are better than the opponent's reflexes and you could probably do a number of thing to avoid the punch, such as blocking, ducking, or punching the opponent on the nose.

Which is the concept of a check hook.

Exept the check hook actually has an effect on the other guy.

Notice part of this is baiting the guy in to throwing the hand you want him to throw.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh . Huh cool. I've never done a tournament where strikes were allowed.

I had a mate of mine do a sports jujitsu comp once. And he didn't know slap jitsu was a thing either.

Until he got popped.

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Seems a valid use, but I would think that if you can land this, then you could land a punch to the face which would be more effective?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Seems a valid use, but I would think that if you can land this, then you could land a punch to the face which would be more effective?
Since your opponent can lean his head back, your punch that can reach to his shoulder may not be able to reach to his head.

It's like 2 persons in a sword fight. A swings sword to cut B's head off. At the same time, B also swings sword to cut A's head off. Nobody win in that situation. Unless you have so much hate that you want o die with your opponent, you should consider your own safety more than hurting your opponent.

In the following clip, A punches at B. B use both hands to block that punch (1 hand on the leading arm, one hand on the shoulder). Since A's left hand is free, A will punch B with it. B then wraps A's left arm, and do his thing. In the whole process, B considers his own safety first.

https://i.postimg.cc/zfbBNKLD/Chang-head-lock.gif

Last edited:

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I see what you mean, but the clip shows you are in range you punch to the head.

I mean takedown is a good option aswell, but maybe hit them in the face first to distract? It's going to distract more than hitting the shoulder

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I see what you mean, but the clip shows you are in range you punch to the head.

I mean takedown is a good option aswell, but maybe hit them in the face first to distract? It's going to distract more than hitting the shoulder
The main purpose of this thread discussion is not just to push on your opponent's shoulder when he punches you. The key discussion of this thread is to interrupt your opponent's attack during the initial stage with the minimum amount of effort.

It goes back to the long guard vs. short guard discussion. Do you want to use your

- short guard to cover your head when your opponent punches your head?
- long guard to interrupt his punch far away from your head?

Latest Discussions