Push Daggers

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would not want any non fixed push dagger in my hand in a violent encounter. Even with the most reliable lock in the world. Just to much potential for some kind of malfunction and whoops there goes all of your fingers.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Neat looking knife, but I don't see the need for a folding push dagger. They are pretty compact to begin with. Also gotta agree with Brian about the lock.

Jeff

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would not want any non fixed push dagger in my hand in a violent encounter. Even with the most reliable lock in the world. Just to much potential for some kind of malfunction

My thought too. It looks neat but I wouldn't carry it. Still, I appreciate having had a chance to see what one looks like!

Mustafa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would not want any non fixed push dagger in my hand in a violent encounter. Even with the most reliable lock in the world. Just to much potential for some kind of malfunction and whoops there goes all of your fingers.
I would want to agree on this one.
It cannot be rightly made if one part is made here and the other is there. However if it is one producent he will know how to make his toughts cooperate with his skill in the making.
That producer ... Like right now, we are making things that consists of many "different-ies", even if the main chief above them is one.

But that is different from if it is only one producer, then the quality is the same and other cant reduce it.

Me, i would like to test such as i never knew about them before now.
However i find a throwing knife equally efficient as a hand to hand combat knife, especially when you have several of them (combined by alot of practise). :D
It is not so superiour by itself, when just one knife. Like Once armed with several i mean.

Of course i may be wrong, i have not experience with knives like you do.

edit; and i am thinking of my knives when i talk about this. Because blazing arrow can be thrown, used in hand to hand combat, and it has holes in it so i can make something longer with it.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
ref. the folding push-dagger. I've never see this particular model but I have handled others and they have all been cheap pieces of crap that I wouldn't trust (this one looks about the same)...I like my fingers where they are.

I'm not even going to get started on the whole "throwing knives for SD/combat" topic.

Mustafa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There could be other good knives but what i have owned by others. I am by no means good enough to be able to cut a man without a knife.
That knife is like it is, and cannot be changed.
Like the damage i can cause is dependent on me and the knife, not the knife by itself. I will have to practise alot though before i can handel one professionally.
I mean, it is not the knive that is bad, it is the one who holds it. (Like; I am exposed to rain and wind, the (mine) knife is made of stainless stell, it can only be made better when the option is given. I can only increase it effiency when i use it, i cannot decrease it. If i suck with knives, then i am supposed to cut myself :D and someone else takes my knife)

But even stainless stell can rust in a very long time. If properly taken care of, then it takes care of you. If you dont someone else will :D ... when / if they find you. But you cant hide forever from the other guys? One time later on, your knife does not remain rustfree (if you have stainless, then it is OK). You will not have anything to defend yourself with by that time - Or it may break in the midst of an encounter.

Shovel Hook

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am a great fan of the push dagger. Would prefer it to almost any knife for defensive use, though would not carry it for legal concerns. i owned a CS Safekeeper 2. Their new model of pushdagger have some refinements such as kraton over the part of the hilt that makes contact with your fingers. But the old Safekeepers had a simply excellent, thin and compact but full purchase grip, and most importantly an ideal blade profile. While penetration is the long suit of such a knife, obviously, these models offer good cutting/slashing capabilities. Without compromising stabbing/thrusting power. For that versatility IMO they are better than the current models. I need to get another one while I still can. Maybe the Safekeeper 1 as seen in the Color of Night, featuring 5" blade. The 3 was a great design, being a single edge which made it more legal than the usual push dagger, and I don't believe CS is making a single edge anymore, which is too bad. I love the MercWorx Seraphyn and hope to own one soon. The Kopromed push dagger is another nice one, featuring a stag handle which would make an awesome companion to the old CS Stag Trailmaster (and Colt SAA and Bond Arms Derringer with matching stag grips, that would be a beautiful western style rig).

Shovel Hook

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not a push dagger but I also owned a CS Kobun and found it to be an excellent CCW. A little longer than "Big Apple Special" size, but a great fixed blade to carry. The Master Hunter (esp. in the better steel) would be good to EDC but the grip is kind of thick for being discreet. Anyway the Kobun was my alternate fixed blade for carry. Still, nothing for me tops a push dagger. With any of the above the kraton gets pretty grabby on clothing, but I think it's better to have that than something smooth that will not be as firm in the hand when it counts

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
just bumping this one since I got some new toys. I've re-evaluated my EDC knives since this thread made its first go-round and have decided to make a PD a permanent part of my "load-out" (wardrobe permitting). This decision is due in part to the fact that I've been training more in Boxing/MMA methodologies and the PD is excellent in this context.

I still have my CS Safekeeper II (seen in an earlier post in this thread) but I feel that the 4" blade is a little too long. I feel that any failure to strike with a proper angle of incidence will be magnified by the length of the blade possibly causing the knife to be twisted out of the hand.

That being the case, I picked up one of the Safekeeper III's. The blade (and subsequently, the overall length) is 1.5" shorter which makes it feel much more secure when striking (I've tested it on a couple of unsuspecting trees and an old phone book with good results). While I prefer the double-edge design, I don't feel that it really matters that much since it's the point that's doing the work. The factory sheath leaves a bit to be desired but I'm waiting on a custom sheath so that problem will be resolved shortly.
safekeeperIII--200x200.jpg

Moving on...
While the Ka-Bar TDI is not by strict definition a push-dagger, I've had pretty good success in using it in much the same manner if it's held in forward grip ("reinforced thumb" punch type motion). It also performs very well in reverse grip with a kind of "chopping" hammer-fist motion.
I decided to get one of these to play with after hearing all the good reviews over the last couple of years. While I probably won't carry it very often (have other stuff), this will probably be used if I'm in an area that forbids my PD's or my double-edged FB's. I think this is an excellent choice for a compact, concealable fixed-blade. The fact that it's used by and marketed for LE might also get rid of some of the stigma often attached to carrying a FB (if you care about that kind of thing...).
kabarpic1480.jpg

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of push daggers, especially for tight quarters. I've got a Cold Steel I like and several zytel ones that are strategically placed in the house, car and boat.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey KenpoTex I like the Ka-Bar TDI as well. It is a very handy functional little knife that is easier accessible, carries well and is a functional utility tool. Better yet it translates perfectly to FMA Kerambit technique's and that makes it very, very effective. I would not trade it for a Push Dagger in a violent confrontation but then again it's great carry factor, every day functionality and effectiveness is hard to match in a very short blade.
icon14.gif