Dagger Fighting

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
There must be some arts that focus on dagger fighting, or at least have it in their curriculum. As far as I know the dagger was not and is not used in any of the Asian martial arts so any art that does include dagger fighting would be a western art not an eastern art.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sicilian Knife Fighting uses the stilleto, which is essentially a long narrow dagger. Fighting in armour with a large dagger is part of HEMA. But it is more of a grappling system with stabbing than it is a blade-fighting method. Some Chinese Kung Fu systems feature forms with the ring daggers. The blade work in FMA functions well whether the weapon has two edges or one.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There must be some arts that focus on dagger fighting, or at least have it in their curriculum. As far as I know the dagger was not and is not used in any of the Asian martial arts so any art that does include dagger fighting would be a western art not an eastern art.
How are you defining a dagger that there is no Asian equivalent?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
There must be some arts that focus on dagger fighting, or at least have it in their curriculum.
You are correct with this.

As far as I know the dagger was not and is not used in any of the Asian martial arts so any art that does include dagger fighting would be a western art not an eastern art.
You are incorrect with this.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the specifications on a dagger can vary a lot. It can be a fairly short knife that can be hidden in a boot, or on the belt in the small of the back, or it can be long enough (maybe 12-15 inches on the blade) to effectively parry and fight against a larger weapon like a sword, and anywhere in between. These things often do not have a fixed and rigid definition.

In today’s reality, I think any knife work with a fixed-blade knife could be considered a variant on “dagger” work.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are a ton of Western based systems. The German (Liechtenaur)‎ and Italian (Fiore) knightly systems had a bunch (particularly the German), Italian Renaissance master Achille Marozzo, to WWI era Alfred Hutton. Plenty more. :)

dagger-a7.jpg

400px-MS_Ludwig_XV_13_16r-b.jpg

2652328372_f1bfff6f8a.jpg

2725-1496234614-62d91cd477fa4df7f9b0f52fb7dd8b94.png

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

D

Deleted member 39746

I don't recall any which are just dagger, but directly above post.

a lot of persons taught and wrote treatises on how to use the dagger alongside other weapons and diffrent types in diffrent situations over the ages. Most are ingrained in a over arching treatise rather than a specific separate one.

example, the flower of battle has a page or two on dagger. (roundel specifically)

Treatises are pretty hard to find, depend son which ones. I still have one of sabre lurking in my memory but i don't recall who the author was or what the title was or what sabre it was for or where i went to find etc etc.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it does have to have a point.

"Is that a dagger which I see before me, the handle toward my hand? Come, let me cluth thee. I have thee not, and yet I see these still. Are thou not, fatal vision, sensible to feeling as to sight? Or art thou but A dagger of the mind, a false creation proceeding but from the heat-oppressed brain?"

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Treatises are pretty hard to find, depend son which ones.
They're easier than ever to get a hold of now. Vast numbers have been made available online and republished as treeware. There is only one of which I can think of which is generally unavailable and that is a 17th C. English Naval treatise with some very interesting cultass and flintlock pistol work. The Historic Maritime Combat Association was granted access to it once but not allowed photography or duplication.

Even oddball stuff like the Goliath manuscript is available.

Goliath Fechtbuch (MS Germ.Quart.2020) ~ Wiktenauer ~☞ Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiant

MS_Germ.Quart.2020_018v.jpg

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk