Purple Belt

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But why acknowledge it's roots at the Shaolin Temple? Is this a ploy to make the art more intriguing rather than stand on its own merit? No offense :)

OP
M

Martial_Maniac

Im not sure of GGM Chow's reasons for wanting to acknowledge it's roots so I cant answer this question and wont attempt to try, but it probably was a good reason.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is it certain that Chow had asked Castro to rename it? Or did Castro act upon his own? Many systems have protege's come in and do things or change things and claim that their master said it was ok. And Castro or Chow did not create or developed Kenpo.

I find it disgusting and offensive, that such a lineage that Chow, Castro, and Parker have, need to resort to having a visual linkage, per namesake or curtail behind the name Shaolin (Shaolin Kenpo..Shaolin Shoes, anything following-suffix), instead of standing on its own merits. This is by no means no offense directed to the practitioners or the art in whole. :)

OP
M

Martial_Maniac

Im not positive that Chow asked Castro to rename it, but i do remember reading something that said Chow asked Castro while living in his home before he passed away. Ill have to ask my instructor. And I know neither one developed Kenpo, only this form of Kenpo. You should check out those links.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Whats in a name? Why name it another form of Kenpo that has such roots or lineage? Is it to dis-associate from something or someone? Or to use it for a ploy as I had stated? i beleive it in leaving well or greatness alone. That is the problem with many martial arts/artists/instructors. Trying to "fix" or change something that is not needed.

Latest Discussions