Purely American additions to Tae Kwon Do

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
For Stuart A.

Can't help but wonder. Yest I have seen what I call B.S. Boards in USA . We have regular ones as well. Did you friend get them at a regular building supply place as construction lumber or from one of the MA Suppliers? Typicaly the ones from the MA suppliers are the BS ones.

For others I would submit that Americans / westerners question everything as a rule. In the east it was common to respect directions without question.

"We do it this way because:
A. The Instructor says so; or
B. That's the way it's always been done (So it must be good.)"

Westerners ask "Why do we do it this way? " and want more explanations.

Notice I use the term "Westerners" not wanting to give Americans sole credit.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would be the last to suggest that the powers to be at the Kukkiwon were influenced by the American consumer... but could be????

They haven't been, it's not an official colour for them, but a lot of schools have adopted it, especially the US and UK apparently.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow... if you think the US is the seat of BS in TKD take a look at the Hanmadang stuff.... Just received a DVD.... Boards are about as thick as paper, what the hell is "Aerobic TKD"?!!! Looks like a bunch of fruitcakes out dancing... Taebo for people in touch with their feminine side. You either have to laugh or cry.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For Stuart A.

Can't help but wonder. Yest I have seen what I call B.S. Boards in USA . We have regular ones as well. Did you friend get them at a regular building supply place as construction lumber or from one of the MA Suppliers? Typicaly the ones from the MA suppliers are the BS ones.

For others I would submit that Americans / westerners question everything as a rule. In the east it was common to respect directions without question.

"We do it this way because:
A. The Instructor says so; or
B. That's the way it's always been done (So it must be good.)"

Westerners ask "Why do we do it this way? " and want more explanations.

Notice I use the term "Westerners" not wanting to give Americans sole credit.

This is absolutely true. Thanks for bringing it up Master Weiss! That's a positive thing from where I stand.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
For Stuart A.

Can't help but wonder. Yest I have seen what I call B.S. Boards in USA . We have regular ones as well. Did you friend get them at a regular building supply place as construction lumber or from one of the MA Suppliers?

Not sure. Ill try to find out and get back to you.

Stuart

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also believe after school programs and summer camps are an American maney maker.

KGTKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For Stuart A.

We use 1" pine, from Lowe's, what do you guys use? Our little kiddoes (ages 3-5) use the demo boards, until they are old enough for 8th gup (yellow belt) and then they have to break the normal boards.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I also believe after school programs and summer camps are an American maney maker.

LOL, who cares, the kiddies have to have a place to be when Mom and Dad are working, it might as well you doing it. No matter what you call it, Daycare is a necessity in this country. And finding good one... well you know.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think this may also be in response to the fact that these days to have a decent living for your family both parents need to go out to work but want their children to still be able to do activities they enjoy. There are also far more single parents for whatever reasons than when TKD/martial arts became widely known in the western world and a lot of us started out.

Taking in the 4-6/7 year olds is good if you are a instructor who likes teaching young children, it benefits the club as well as the children, it's no good if you don't want them there though obviously. For me if thats an American import I'm pleased as I really enjoy the young classes. We don't have the after school clubs or summer camps but I can see they have the potential to be good, of course it depends on whose running them!

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
there is another one.... Blocking with the knee! that how Steven Lopez keeps beating all of your guys!!!!!! LOL

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
there is another one.... Blocking with the knee! that how Steven Lopez keeps beating all of your guys!!!!!! LOL

Sif, that's hardly an American addition, Koreans had been doing it ages ago.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
We use 1" pine, from Lowe's, what do you guys use? Our little kiddoes (ages 3-5) use the demo boards, until they are old enough for 8th gup (yellow belt) and then they have to break the normal boards.

1" pine from Lowes, Home Depot or the lumber yard.

Was in Florida for a test where they used Southern Yellow Pine. Very Sappy and harder / sappier than white pine. Some big studs were trying to do 7 for 4th dan. The Darn Building was shaking but the boards weren't breaking.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We do now.. but they have all stemmed from the US! ie. ATA, EFC etc... they follow those guys and brought their ways to our island!

Stuart

All we did was just open the door...it was their choice to walk in. ha.ha.ha.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, but after school pick up has been common in Korea for many years.
Actually this has been done in Korea for some time now. I believe we got this from them.

Just how long has it been going on in Korea? If it's less than 30 years, then sorry, they got it from us. The school that was around the corner in my neighborhood, was offering this since 1975. It's long gone now, but even then I thought it was nothing more than a babysitting/money maker.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry, but after school pick up has been common in Korea for many years.
Actually this has been done in Korea for some time now. I believe we got this from them.

Just how long has it been going on in Korea? If it's less than 30 years, then sorry, they got it from us. The school that was around the corner in my neighborhood, was offering this since 1975. It's long gone now, but even then I thought it was nothing more than a babysitting/money maker.

That school would have been rare one, not only becuase of the pick up service, but the fact they offered a children's class to begin with. :) Pick up service is just part of the culture in Korea that is not just related to TKD. Other martial art schools as well as hagwons (after school-school) music schools, etc. have done this..for how long, I have no idea.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That school would have been rare one, not only becuase of the pick up service, but the fact they offered a children's class to begin with. :) Pick up service is just part of the culture in Korea that is not just related to TKD. Other martial art schools as well as hagwons (after school-school) music schools, etc. have done this..for how long, I have no idea.

It was indeed a rare one. The instructor spent some time in Korea and as you pointed out, it's part of the culture, so he very probably picked it up from there. Always learning something new. :asian:

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing We Americans have added is the SUCK factor.... I have seen alot of people that really don't have a right to teacher.... where is the regulation in American martial arts!!!!!!

Martial arts suck everywhere, you're not special. Good and bad schools exist everywhere, and always will.

I do find it funny that pretty much everything being mentioned here is negative, one severe case of "grass is greener..." going on in this thread.

How about things like western nutritional science? Sports psychology? Modern training equipment? Mass publishing of resource material? Kinesiology? The benefit of having cities that have martial arts from all over the world with all sorts of different focuses within a short drive?

Latest Discussions