Punching bags

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
I want to buy a good bag for kicking and punching, to improve my strength and accuracy. Also I fell it is good to be able to hit something with your full force for training.

Recommendations anyone? Type, brand etc.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Everlast, I've used them for 20+ years.
One thing though, get good wraps, learn how to tape, protect your wrists.
For accuracy, I'd get a speed bag, for strength etc, a heavy bag, very different beasts those two.

OP
J

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
Are they the ones attached to both ground and the roof? What shape? I know little next to nothing about them. I would like a good all rounder.

OP
J

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
This has been really helpful! Hopefully I can get one of each some day... which would you recommend I get first?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've got an Everlast that is pretty good. I bought a 100 lb because I thought heavier would be better and I didn't want it to swing as much, but now I think maybe lighter would have given me a more realistic reaction. My 100 lb bag is almost like punching and kicking a brick wall. As far as the lighter bag swinging more, simply counter the swing with an opposing strike.

I want to second Mr. Leverich's point about wrapping to protect your wrist. The saying goes "what does not kill you only makes you stronger", but I think a hand or wrist injury would only hurt and disrupt your training. Certainly striking a heavy bag will tell you a lot more about your technique than swinging at air.

Well, that's my heavy bag $ .02.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a 70 lbs. everlast and it is just perfect for the school.

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
The wavemaster is a great bag. You use water to fill it, it has the feel of real middle section of a person. I also like B.O.B. it has a man shape for punching or kicking it also has a moveable stand you can fill with water or what ever. All of these can be seen at century web site. All the best in the arts

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The wavemaster is a great bag. You use water to fill it, it has the feel of real middle section of a person. I also like B.O.B. it has a man shape for punching or kicking it also has a moveable stand you can fill with water or what ever. All of these can be seen at century web site. All the best in the arts

I don't know about Wavemasters, but the BOB is pretty expensive! I know that, as much as I'd like one, I certainly can't afford it.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bob has never been a cheap date, that is true. But with Bob you can practice accuracy and power. You get to aim at exact targets, solar plexus, kidneys, side of head, etc and you will know when you hit weather you are hitting your target or not. Bob also has shoulders. One of the biggest problems I see with players, and me, is clearing the shoulders when coming into the head from the side. With Bob you find out real quick weather or not you are clearing them. He also is nice about letting you try different angles and techniques to clear his shoulders in case the first one doesn't work. Bob also tends to change height alot for shorter or taller players. This helps too. You can attack him from the front, side or back, just like a real person. With a generic heavy bag you have to assume you are accurate and hitting the target you want to hit. Bob is just not like that, he will tell you like it is. So, like any thing really good, he might be expensive, but he might be worth it too. Your money, your trianing, your call.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Everlast 60-70 pound is what I would go with.

If you are cheap, you can go to eBay.com and buy an unfilled bag for about nine dollars and fill it with old rags. That would be a great way to start out if you don't want to put out a lot of money.

AoG

wayofhandandfoot

White Belt
Reaction score
I went to the 07 Arnold Classic and they had this new bag that interacts with you if you were to practice your clinch. They said that it would be coming out in gyms soon. if you move to the left in the clinch the bag pushes against you.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wavemaster and Bob are really versatile in that you can put one pretty much anywhere. A hanging bag requires either a good ceiling or one of those cornerman stands which might limit what you can practice on it. When I was a teenager, I made a hanging bag out of an old Army duffle bag, sawdust and sand. It was a great bag til it started ripping.....

Has anyone mentioned a speed bag?-those are fun too!

Miles

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am partial to Ringside heavy bags, but be prepared to pay out a good amount of money. I also use Ringside double-end bags and uppercut bags. I have also used Everlast and I have nothing bad to say about them, or Century for that matter. Most non-water bags are pretty comparable in quality when comparing apples to apples. If you get a water bag take your time to learn how to use it. Others may not agree with me, but they ARE different and they take some skill to work them correctly.

Latest Discussions