Punches and Arms feel heavy?!! Help!

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi there,
I've been doing Tae Kwon Do for four years and have just recently changed to Wing Chun Kung Fu. In case you didnt know the punches are different, Tae Kwon Do ones are very Karate like, with a locked shoulder and straight arm and Wing Chun ones are straight punches thrown with the elbow bent.
Now when I try to do a jab and a cross my arms feel heavy and slow, and it seems to sap too much energy. Is this because I'm tensing up? Or I am not breathing properly, or my technique is wrong or what?
Help anybody?

Regards

Nick

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what your hand position is when you're throwing these punches, but when I'm punching, I adopt more of a boxing type of position, with the hands near the head. You may also want to make sure that you're using correct body mechanics as well, meaning making sure that you're pivoting, using proper footwork, etc. As for the heavy feeling..yes, that happens to me as well, especially after a good bag/focus pad workout.

I hope that this was a help. :supcool:

Mike

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to find that when my punches and arms felt heavy and slow when they shouldn't (ie: you are fresh, and haven't been exercising your upper body much) then it was due to poor muscle contraction. By which I mean that the muscles that should be expanding had a lot of residual tension in them, making it twice as hard to punch. You may be subconsciously tensing the wrong muscle groups when you punch.

Try slowing it down and concentrating on making sure your technique is right. Focus on the muscles and joints as you utilise them, and make sure you are getting it right before you speed it up.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
you should never lock your elbow when throwing a punch; tis a good way to hyper extend it. your arm should always have an "S" shape to it when throwing a punch, whether horizontal or vertical, a backfist, heel palm, etc., to ensure proper body alignment. never, ever, lock out the arm.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chronuss said:
you should never lock your elbow when throwing a punch; tis a good way to hyper extend it.
Not only that, but a slippery bugger like me is liable to slip outside and break or joint lock that locked out arm. :asian:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, are mine. But I've been boxing for three days. Today is rest day. TW

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Any type of changes in activity the body will have to re-adjust. These new adjustments cause fatique are those areas not accustomed. Something like playing naseball for the first time in decades..

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Not only that, but a slippery bugger like me is liable to slip outside and break or joint lock that locked out arm. :asian:
yet another reason one should not lock out the arm. ;)

Latest Discussions