Eyeglass frames for MA training?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just got a new eyeglass prescription yesterday. I've been considering a pair of glasses specifically for when I go to the dojo, since at the moment I have to take my glasses off when sparring, to my detriment (really can't see well without them).

Anyone have any recommendations on frames for prescription eyeglasses that can stand up to physical abuse?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To be honest, the cheaper the better. Frames with springloaded temples can help, but they are a bit pricier.

Buying online can save some serious coin, the downside is that you don't get to try on the frames before you buy them. I know of a couple such shops that my work colleagues have used and recommend (don't have the links handy but I can dig them up later today). Perhaps that would be a workable solution for the dojo?

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've used prescription sports goggles for years. I'll check the brand when I get home. I've had two different brands, both with elastic straps, and they've worked really well. I get the lenses ground for distance only, and I find that even as my eyes change, I don't have to update the scripts as often as I do my regular eye wear. One thing I like about them, is that I can quickly toss them to the side without worry if I'm practising on the ground. Your optician should be able to recommend something.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ditto. This site has very inexpensive prescription glasses/goggles.

http://www.zennioptical.com/home.php

To be honest, the cheaper the better. Frames with springloaded temples can help, but they are a bit pricier.

Buying online can save some serious coin, the downside is that you don't get to try on the frames before you buy them. I know of a couple such shops that my work colleagues have used and recommend (don't have the links handy but I can dig them up later today). Perhaps that would be a workable solution for the dojo?

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was going to suggest goggles, too.

Personally, I competed without glasses. It never caused any hardship for me.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've used prescription sports goggles for years. I'll check the brand when I get home. I've had two different brands, both with elastic straps, and they've worked really well. I get the lenses ground for distance only, and I find that even as my eyes change, I don't have to update the scripts as often as I do my regular eye wear. One thing I like about them, is that I can quickly toss them to the side without worry if I'm practising on the ground. Your optician should be able to recommend something.

Yeah, the optician was no help. "Maybe you shouldn't do sports like that" was his suggestion. Apparently, there are a lot of sports-type glasses frames for youth sports, but they figure that adults either don't engage in contact sports or they go for lasiq or something like that. I'm not interested in lasiq and I can't wear contacts, so I need glasses. I'd be interested in goggles, but what about perspiration? I get awfully sweaty in the dojo, I'd be worried if the things were going to steam up on me. Any thoughts?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, the optician was no help. "Maybe you shouldn't do sports like that" was his suggestion. Apparently, there are a lot of sports-type glasses frames for youth sports, but they figure that adults either don't engage in contact sports or they go for lasiq or something like that. I'm not interested in lasiq and I can't wear contacts, so I need glasses. I'd be interested in goggles, but what about perspiration? I get awfully sweaty in the dojo, I'd be worried if the things were going to steam up on me. Any thoughts?

I don't personally know, but Cat Crap makes a great anti-fogger. :)

www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___83081

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just got a new eyeglass prescription yesterday. I've been considering a pair of glasses specifically for when I go to the dojo, since at the moment I have to take my glasses off when sparring, to my detriment (really can't see well without them).

Anyone have any recommendations on frames for prescription eyeglasses that can stand up to physical abuse?

When I went to get my last pair, I saw one pair that you could pretty much twist and bend like a pretzel, but of course, you're going to pay $$$ for those. Not sure how much you want to spend though. Your best bet may be to go with the goggles.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was going to suggest goggles, too.

Personally, I competed without glasses. It never caused any hardship for me.

I'm just talking about sparring inside the dojo, I don't compete. I can't see jack without my glasses. So it is a problem for me.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I went to get my last pair, I saw one pair that you could pretty much twist and bend like a pretzel, but of course, you're going to pay $$$ for those. Not sure how much you want to spend though. Your best bet may be to go with the goggles.

Yeah, I'm pretty much broke. So $ and not $$$ would be best. I was thinking about trying to find a pair of those BCG's we used to wear in the military; cheap and somewhat durable.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why are contacts out of the question? Medical issue or just not crazy about wearing them? I wear them to take a break from the glasses, and also because I was tired of having glasses broken during class, and not being able to see as well as I'd like to. Of course, some issues with my eyes, the contacts aren't cheap either.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why are contacts out of the question? Medical issue or just not crazy about wearing them? I wear them to take a break from the glasses, and also because I was tired of having glasses broken during class, and not being able to see as well as I'd like to. Of course, some issues with my eyes, the contacts aren't cheap either.

Medical issue. I'm OD -6.25 +2.25 Axis 3 / OS -6.75 +2.50 Axis 5 and +1.75 NV OD and OS. That's optometrist-speak for 'really, really, blind' and with severe astigmatism in both eyes as well. Yes, they make contacts for astigmatism now. No, I am not a candidate. Been through all this with my ophthalmologist, who's an MD. He knows the contact lens makers like to say they can address this, he disagrees and so do I. So glasses for me and to be quite honest, I have no desire to shove things into my eyeballs.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, the optician was no help.

There are goggles on the Century Martial Arts catalogue that you can order online by sending in your prescription.

"Maybe you shouldn't do sports like that" was his suggestion.

That's the oddest response -- you'd think he'd check a catalogue and try to make a couple of bucks.

I'd be interested in goggles, but what about perspiration? I get awfully sweaty in the dojo, I'd be worried if the things were going to steam up on me. Any thoughts?

Here's a side view of mine. Their not air tight, so I have no problems with fogging.

6770_226781315223_796530223_7716985_8170226_n.jpg

Front view.

6770_226783485223_796530223_7717057_6410785_n.jpg

The goggles sit on the bridge of my nose, like regular specs. It has a strap instead of hinged frames. There's an opening on the frame at either end. I'll post an actual pic later.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I can ask my wife for suggestions, but it sounds like you've got some good ones already. One of the guys I train with is practically blind without his glasses, too. He has sports goggles similar to the ones that Gordon Nore posted, and I can tell you that they take significant abuse. IIRC, his are more rubbery around the temples and are made for potential contact... more like goggles and less like glasses with a strap.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Medical issue. I'm OD -6.25 +2.25 Axis 3 / OS -6.75 +2.50 Axis 5 and +1.75 NV OD and OS. That's optometrist-speak for 'really, really, blind' and with severe astigmatism in both eyes as well. Yes, they make contacts for astigmatism now. No, I am not a candidate. Been through all this with my ophthalmologist, who's an MD. He knows the contact lens makers like to say they can address this, he disagrees and so do I. So glasses for me and to be quite honest, I have no desire to shove things into my eyeballs.

I've thought about the lasik but like you, I'm not a fan of having things poked into my eyes either. I wish I had a solution, but I'm afraid I have none other than to check out the goggles.

Good luck with everything. :)

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've thought about the lasik but like you, I'm not a fan of having things poked into my eyes either. I wish I had a solution, but I'm afraid I have none other than to check out the goggles.

Good luck with everything. :)

Thanks!

I have thought about corrective eye surgery for a long time; going back to the days of RK (radial keratoplasty), when they did it with scalpels. I've hesitated due to the cost and the risks. I realize that side-effects are generally minor and errors are few, but these are my only eyeballs. My threshold for risk is very low with regard to this.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thanks!

I have thought about corrective eye surgery for a long time; going back to the days of RK (radial keratoplasty), when they did it with scalpels. I've hesitated due to the cost and the risks. I realize that side-effects are generally minor and errors are few, but these are my only eyeballs. My threshold for risk is very low with regard to this.
I wouldn't consider lasik until it's safe enough that the guys who DO lasik would get lasik done on themselves. Last time I checked, the surgeons who perform lasik wouldn't consider it for themselves because of potential risks to their livelihood.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bill, you may want to check out Basketball related sites instead of martial art related ones. There are quite a few basketball players who use prescription goggles on the court.

Latest Discussions