Proper Breathing

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I am curious to the proper breathing and ways to develop it.

As I understand it, an exhale should be performed when executing a strike. I also try to do this short exhale when delivering the blocks as in Delayed Sword.

I have a tendency to hold my breath as noted by my testing panel during my Yellow belt test.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy Nelson
Yellow AKKI

N

Nate_Hoopes

Not to worry my friend, You've just recieved your yellow these things come with time.

Your are correct that an exhale sound or something similar should be delivered when you strike someone, the same is also applied while blocking, you should breathe out anytime you are exerting your body.

Im not sure if you have begun to spar yet but proper breathing is highly important in everything martial arts related, whenever you are hitting or being hit you should exhale, it helps absorb a good amount of the impact.

My philosiphy on it:
Anytime i want my body to do something I exhale.
If I want my body to throw a punch I exhale while throwing the punch.

If i want my body to take a punch i exhale while taking the punch, I dont even feel punches to the ribs/stomach anymore unless the person gets their location just right.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know that each school or system teaches their own method of how and when to breath but most seem to say exhale on each block and attack. You just have to practice and practice to get it to the point where it becomes automatic.

C

Chiduce

It depends on the style of kenpo which would use striking specifically on the exhale. There are internal aspect's of other styles; particularly those teaching 5 or more animal variations. Any snake motion would be striking on the inhale with chi controling the physical effect of the strike. While crane motion would strike on the inhale and block on the exhale and vise-versa. Dragon motion would use striking and blocking on the inhale & exhale. Tiger and Leopard would use more striking and blocking using standard breathing or exhaling, etc, etc. Most of these kenpo/chu'an fa/quanfa styles incorporate stationary and moving hard & soft qi gong breathing, meditation, and martial gong exercises.
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

OP
J

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for replying.

In my practice at home I have been attempting to exhale with my strikes. I think it is coming along nicely. But I have a question, If every strike is a block and every block a strike, when do we inhale?

Chiduce, I greatly appreciate your explanation, but I am a bit lost. With some of the animal styles. I have read bits in places on the internet about some of these but I am a bit limited in my martial arts experience.

Thanks

JD

C

Chiduce

Originally posted by JD_Nelson

Thank you so much for replying.

In my practice at home I have been attempting to exhale with my strikes. I think it is coming along nicely. But I have a question, If every strike is a block and every block a strike, when do we inhale?

Chiduce, I greatly appreciate your explanation, but I am a bit lost. With some of the animal styles. I have read bits in places on the internet about some of these but I am a bit limited in my martial arts experience.

Thanks

JD
From my understanding the breathing associated with the animal styles all had their own respective stationary and moving hard and soft qi gong exercises. The Crane did double and single wing flying qi gong; iron arm gong etc,. The other animal styles followed suite with various hard and soft gong exercises which included standard breathing (blocking and striking on the exhale) and reverse abdominal breathing ( blocking and striking on the inhale). Most martial arts systems of karate use standard breathing for blocking and striking. Yet, most styles of kung fu use a little of both types of breathing. I personally, agree that kenpo is a hard/soft martial style. This statement safely assumes the combining of both circular and linear motion, no matter what particular style of kenpo is being practiced. This is what makes most chinese oriented kenpo styles fluid, dynamic, and streetwise. As for the okinawan styles; this chinese conceptual method toward motion is discovered in the bunkai of the respective style kata. It is said that train hard style, then eventually soft; train soft style then eventually hard. This saying also refers to external and internal style training. So, breathing for so called hard style animal systems would tend to use standard breathing, while breathing for the so called soft style animal systems use reverse abdominal breathing. Thus, the so called hard/soft and soft/hard styles like dragon and crane would use both breathing tools for health, fitness, meditation and in failing an attacker. Since the kenpo arts (ch'uan fa) fit into this category, then it would be safe to say that depending on the animal style being taught, if one or styles, if several, which breathing (standard, reverse abdominal or a little of both) within the overall kenpo system would create the core foundation. Advanced studies would then expound upon areas which were not included in this core!
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
exhale on your strike.

breathe from your diaphragm, not your chest. when you take a deep breath, your shoulders should NOT move. put your hand on your stomach, just below your ribs, and when you breathe in, your hand should move away from your body. If you need help, take a singing lesson from a decent voice teacher, because singers HAVE to have great breath control, so its an integral part of singing, and has helped me greatly when it comes to breathing in martial arts. a voice teacher could teach you how better than I can explain it online.

K

Kenpo Yahoo

"If every strike is a block and every block a strike, when do we inhale?"

After the exhale.... :D !!!!

All joking aside, you'll learn through experience. As you continue to progress through the system you will begin to see, more clearly, the difference between major and minor strikes.

As an example, we'll look at alternating maces. If you "kiai," or exhale completely with every move then you won't be performing at an optimum level and the technique will be sluggish and ineffective. You should try to examine what the strikes are doing. The first two inward blocks are striking to the radials (if possible), but their function is to redirect the incoming push so you don't eat it. These first two blocks roll rather quickly and end with the back-knuckle. The motion is similiar to the one congo line dancers make with their hands, or the same motion as the one made when singing "roll the gospel chariot along" from bible camp (whichever helps you learn it best). You can use a timing phrase like, "bud - da - Whaaack" for the first three movements of the technique. It not only gives you the timing, but the point of emphasis as well. By actually saying it while doing the technique your following the right breathing pattern.

Make a phrase for the last part of alternating maces, then see if you can make up your own for the other techniques. If you don't feel comfortable saying it, then just change it to some type of groan or noise that you would feel comfortable doing, but give it a shot it will help you with your breathing.

p.s. Depending on what technique I'm doing, I'll inhale after recoiling from a major strike, but most of the time I can do the techniques on one breath. By the way are you one of John Haag's students?

OP
J

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
bud-a-whack!!!!

I have considered phrasing a way to assist with timing, but did not think about it being a breathing aid! I think the light bulb has come on with this to a point.

I used to train with John Haag, I have not seen him in about 3 months!!! Scheduling conflicts mostly, we are both injured to a point, he just be me to surgery!!! Yeah I am one of his students in wichita. I just hope he will keep letting me come. My place may be taken due to my lack of attendance!!!

If I may ask how do you know Mr. Haag? Feel free to drop me an e-mail to discuss further!!

Kind Regards,

JD

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Systema works alot on proper breathing.

I used to breathe like a boxer would when I would work out, short exhale on every hit. When I started doing Systema I was shown that I should try to breathe normally on everything, punching, kicking, blocking whatever. It's still hard for me to do but I find I don't get as winded when breathing this way and it's easier to not hold my breath when doing things.

:asian:

P

practiceisnotperfect

Hello, I also exhale with short breaths as I kick or punch. I am curious as to what the systema breathing technique actually is. I used to play trumpet so I have no problem with breathing from the diaghpram. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Try to stay relaxed and breathe normal when punching or kicking. The Russians figure your more relaxed when you breathe this way instead of always trying to exhale on every punch or kick.

I'm still new to it so I have a long ways to go to get it down.

:asian:

G

GouRonin

Totally, Vlad taught me ways to breath where I just don't get tired.

Boxing helped a lot too as many Kenpoists start to figure out how to breath from boxing. Many Kenpoists just don't spend the time trying to learn it. They should.

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by GouRonin

Totally, Vlad taught me ways to breath where I just don't get tired.

Boxing helped a lot too as many Kenpoists start to figure out how to breath from boxing. Many Kenpoists just don't spend the time trying to learn it. They should.

Ask Doug he knows... If it eats, breathes, drinks, pees, or even craps Kenpo, he's seen it!!! He's the consumate authority on what Kenpo people are doing everywhere. Now I know that I'm doing it wrong!

Gou Ronin is my hero!!! :moon: :moon: :moon:

W

WilliamTLear

So the good air goes in one end, and the bad air comes out the other? Please explain how you do it! I fear that I might still be doing this wrong! At least, by Kenpo Standards anyway.

:fart: :fart: :fart:

Why won't anybody work out with me?!?!

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
True to Kenpo Tradition.........
there is always one that streatches the intrepertation.

I was talking about in the nose and out the mouth............ but.............

I can see....... Billy has enlightened us to yet the other possibilities........

BILLY,,,,,,,,,
Why fart and smell.. when you can burp and taste?

Never mind.......
:shrug:

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by WilliamTLear
He's the consumate authority on what Kenpo people are doing everywhere.

It's not my fault that Kenpo is fast becoming the north american version of TKD. I bet the koreans are cr@pping their pants hoping it doesn't spead over there.
:rolleyes: