Opponent's Breathing Rhythm - When best to strike?

kiai

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to the forum, as I read over some breathing-related posts, a thought developed in my head, concerned with paying attention to your opponent's breathing cycle during kumite. Is there a point during a person's breath cycle (e.g. beginning of inhalation, end of exhalation, etc.) where they could be arguably more vulnerable / less able to retaliate to a strike? Considering how important breathing is during strike execution, it would seem possible that this process could be exploited.

What are you thoughts?

Cheers!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to the forum, as I read over some breathing-related posts, a thought developed in my head, concerned with paying attention to your opponent's breathing cycle during kumite. 1) Is there a point during a person's breath cycle (e.g. beginning of inhalation, end of exhalation, etc.) where they could be arguably more vulnerable / less able to retaliate to a strike? 2) Considering how important breathing is during strike execution, it would seem possible that this process could be exploited.

What are you thoughts?

Cheers!

1) I would say when they inhale.

2) Sure, if you were quick enough and capable of timing your stike, then yeah, go for it. Is it something that I personally do? No.

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
1) Same as MJS. When they inhale. I've always been told you exhale with your strikes but also with your blocks as it helps tense muscles etc. So based on that, when inhaling, they are less likely to be tense and will feel your hit more

2) In Kumite (or any adrenalinised situation) can you really rely on being able to get through your tunnel vision, your own blood rushing, your own breathing, any nervous twitches/shakes etc to pick up on the timing of their breathing? I have enough trouble trying to pick exactly when they are off balance (between steps) when done at any sort of speed that isn't plodding. Especially if I have to find an open target and choose an appropriate strike at the same time. Also, what happens if they start breathing really fast with shallow breaths, by the time your strike lands they could already be exhaling.

Just my thoughts

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't even bother watching for his breathing. I would be more concerned with looking for, or creating an opening. It is unlikely that someone fighting is going to have regular breathing and if there is an adrenalin dump you won't be watching for his breathing I can promise. In a grappling situation it may be possible, or with non-competative slow sparring, but in the main that attention to detail would be a good ten degrees higher than me.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny you mention it. The other night in the dojo, we practiced a move that *makes* the opponent inhale - an open-handed throat strike. The strike we practiced is designed to 'pop' the throat to force them to inhale to get a breath, then a dead hand to the chest, hard to keep them from being able to finish the inhale. Hurts more for some reason, breaks their rhythm, and for some reason, they lose all interest in you and the fight as they struggle to get their breath. So no, we're not timing their inhalations, but forcing it and then taking advantage of that.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't even bother watching for his breathing. I would be more concerned with looking for, or creating an opening. It is unlikely that someone fighting is going to have regular breathing and if there is an adrenalin dump you won't be watching for his breathing I can promise. In a grappling situation it may be possible, or with non-competative slow sparring, but in the main that attention to detail would be a good ten degrees higher than me.
First of all, its not about watching, its about listening.
Sean

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok this is a genuine question. For anyone less than an absolute master, with the adrenaline dump you get, the sound of your blood rushing in your ears, your own breathing, the noise of the crowd (esp in Kumite style tournaments - unless I'm mistaken and there is absolute silence like tennis?) can you really hear the opponents breathing well enough to not only distinguish it from all other noises but to analyse and plan strikes accordingly?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok this is a genuine question. For anyone less than an absolute master, with the adrenaline dump you get, the sound of your blood rushing in your ears, your own breathing, the noise of the crowd (esp in Kumite style tournaments - unless I'm mistaken and there is absolute silence like tennis?) can you really hear the opponents breathing well enough to not only distinguish it from all other noises but to analyse and plan strikes accordingly?
Not all fights happen in the manner you describe. Also, practicing helps.
Sean

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was just saying Kumite as it was the scenario offered by the OP. I don't and never have fought competitively so have no personal experience with it hence the question. In a SD context I know I wouldn't put my life on the other person's breathing but then that could just be a lack of skill, I'd rather worry about if they are breathing after I've hit them ;)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd be more concerned with the multiple punches coming towards my head , rather than looking or listening for breathing patterns.

Latest Discussions