Promotion

J

Jas

Just wanted to blow my own horn, I was promoted to blue belt today in Nihon Goshin Aikido!!!!!!!!!!

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!!

What did you show, and how long did it take, and what's the next step?

/Yari

OP
K

kimura

Is there any belt colors in Aikido in Canada or is it US you come from ??

In Japan and in Europe I have never seen this ! :confused:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my experience you don't usually see colored belts--or belts of any kind, actually--for the kyu grades in Aikido.

OP
K

Kirk

How does the belt ranking system in Aikido work? What are the
step colors?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk

How does the belt ranking system in Aikido work? What are the
step colors?

I think colored belts generally are not used apart from the black belt; kyu grades literally wear no belt. Some style sof Aikido may do it differently of course.

OP
J

Jas

in Nihon Goshin Aikido we have seven belts:

White (Roko-Kyu)
Yellow (Go-Kyu)
Blue (Yon-Kyu)
Green (San-Kyu)
Purple (Ni-Kyu)
Brown (I-Kyu)
Black (1st Dedree-Sho-Dan)

OP
K

kimura

Originally posted by Jas

in Nihon Goshin Aikido we have seven belts:

White (Roko-Kyu)
Yellow (Go-Kyu)
Blue (Yon-Kyu)
Green (San-Kyu)
Purple (Ni-Kyu)
Brown (I-Kyu)
Black (1st Dedree-Sho-Dan)

I wonder where the principle went, of not comparing your own level to other than yourself ? Who decide to have level indications in your style. Is it a Japanese invention ?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations.
I know you must have studied hard and worked evenharder to get where you are at this time. Keep practiceing and learning.
Takeing the time to pass on what you know is a great way to not only improve your own techniques but it gives a good feeling inside.
Shadow:asian:

OP
J

Jas

I cannot honestly say who invented or belt system, I know Shihon Bowe brought Nihon Goshin to America from Japan where he was promoted to black belt but I dont know if he ever held another color belt. My Sensei says belts are only used in class to tell the students level because we do not seperate ranks we all train together in the dojo.

OP
K

kimura

Shouldn't the technique show the level of the student, and not the belt color ?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by kimura

Shouldn't the technique show the level of the student, and not the belt color ?

This will be a tough argument to win, no matter how sensible--especially in the U.S., the belt system is very ingrained. Parents are the worst--they want little Johnny to get his promotions regularly!

OP
K

kimura

Originally posted by arnisador

This will be a tough argument to win, no matter how sensible--especially in the U.S., the belt system is very ingrained. Parents are the worst--they want little Johnny to get his promotions regularly!

I know it is a tough argument, and actually I believe myself it is ok with kids, as they do not have the tools yet of being able to understand technical or mental level.

In martial arts where there are competition, I find it ok too for grown ups. However, in principle it goes against the whole idea of Aikido which is why I do not like the fact that there are colored belts showing the grades. Why you might ask? Well, simply because when people start showing belts, diplomas, prices etc. they tend to compare themselves with others, and the "man" on top will never be better than the last he beat. This is the situation where people stop developing themselves mentally. They only develop physically, as this is what can be seen in pure physical results.

Give little Johnny his colored belt, but loose the attachment to it if you (not you specifically arnisador) wants to go beyond 'martial sports'

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But there is different gradings in Aikido, but a little suttle. In the scandinavian dojos I've been to, 3 kyu is the grade where you are allowed to wear a hakama, and that is a kind of visual aspect of grading. And after that you have the black belt which is a grade.

In this sense you have 3 levels of Aikido: one before hakama, one with hakama and white belt, and hakama with black belt.

But this was just for the fun of it I stated this, because I agree with Kimura.

/Yari

OP
J

Jas

In Nihon Goshin Aikido each belt has 10 classical techniques, these are done of of grips and no resistence is offered by Uke, these are done to learn the machanices of a technique. To be promoted you have to demonstrate all 10 techniques of your rank. As a white belt for example you will not learn yellow belt classical techniques or above, but you will learn applications of yellow belt and above. Another example when I was a Yellow belt I learned a move called handshake, I learned to perform it off of a full speed roundhouse and over hand strike but I didnt learn the handshake classical technique until blue belt. So belts are really just to know where you stand in your rank for testing purposes.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jas

In Nihon Goshin Aikido each belt has 10 classical techniques, these are done of of grips and no resistence is offered by Uke, these are done to learn the machanices of a technique. To be promoted you have to demonstrate all 10 techniques of your rank. As a white belt for example you will not learn yellow belt classical techniques or above, but you will learn applications of yellow belt and above. Another example when I was a Yellow belt I learned a move called handshake, I learned to perform it off of a full speed roundhouse and over hand strike but I didnt learn the handshake classical technique until blue belt. So belts are really just to know where you stand in your rank for testing purposes.

I would really like to see this curriculum. The way it's built up sounds very interesting. Any possibilty of that?

/Yari

old_sempai

Green Belt
Reaction score
New Jersey, way in the woods with 2 dogs, one pass
:asian:

Greetings Yari:

The "Classical Techniques" referred to by Jas are nothing more than having Uke and Nage facing each other and slowly learning the body mechanics of breaking a grip, leading Uke and then executing a technique. For example their technique of Pivot Take Down [a variant of Shihonage - Four Corners Throw] finds Uke's right hand gripping Nage's left [a straight grip].

Nage leads Uke's hand over to his free hand while simultaneously cross stepping with his left foot, placing it outside of Uke's left foot.

At the same time Nage's right hand grips the exposed palm of Uke's right hand and leads it up ward while twisting Uke's gripped palm inducing pain causing Uke to rise up on his toes, and causing his body to twist around in reaction to the pain.

Nage continues to move underneath Uke's right arm and then steps back with the right foot, going completely under Uke's right arm leading his gripped hand into a down ward spiral to complete the technique.

It's a bit simplified as an explanation but I hope this helps.

As for Belt colors Kano Sama created this system, and when I started NGA in 76 I was told that since vegetable dyes were used during that time in history that the belts were subsequently dyed progressively darker in color until the Black Belt was achieved.

As for student grades some state this is a misnomer since the Japanese word Shodan actually means "Student." With regard to NGA there are five Kyu grades and follow the Japanese cardinal numbering system:

White - Beginner

Yellow - 5th level Go kyu

Blue - 4th Yonkyu

Green - 3rd Sankyu

Purple - 2nd Nikyu

Brown - 1st level Ichi kyu or Ikyu

Promotion is based on progressive learning of each set of techniques along with other requirements such as strikes, kicks, self-defense, dealing with weapons, and a sundry assortment of other information.

Then one moves into the Dan Grades

Shodan - Nidan - Sandan, etc.

Shihan Bowe, who established the first school in 1962 holds the highest grade in this system.

I've been away from the forum for a while, my youner son recently got married and I've also been busy with family gatherings.

Regards

:asian: :asian: