Professor Derrida, he dead...

R

rmcrobertson

This won't meant doodley to many of you, but Jacques Derrida, aged 74, most commonly associated with the school of post-modernist philosophy titled, "deconstruction," died early this morning in England.

It's a damned shame. His writing meant a lot to me; I got to hear Professor Derrida lecture twice, and I actually pretty much understood the second lecture.

Like it or not, he was an enormous cultural influence on our world. If you've heard the word, "deconstruction," or admired Frank Gehry's museum in Lisbon, or heard people ***** about leftism and cultural relativism in academia, you've been influeenced by Derrida. Follow out the disucssion of Paul De Man's career, if you think I'm wrong.

Or read, "Structure, Sign and Play in the Discourse of the Human Sciences."

The man also wore the hell out of a Claude Montana jacket.

Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say that I recognize the name, but otherwise am pretty ignorant of his works. I'll attempt to rectify that.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Quite the obit in the NY Times today, along with a picture. Only 74. Too bad.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Not even remotely what Derrida's work is all about, but hey, don't let a little thing like THAT stand in your way when you vote for Bush.

TwistofFat

Green Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Not even remotely what Derrida's work is all about, but hey, don't let a little thing like THAT stand in your way when you vote for Bush.
Robert - I read a bit of Derrida's work in conjunction with poets taking liberties with language structure and enjoyed it. I found this piece on ScappleFace as a good natured humor.
I am not suprised that you did not. I am not sure where the bush thing comes from - if you know me from my posts as a libertarian I'll let you guess from there.

Regards and warm thoughts - Glenn.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Fair enough; quite possibly my bad.

Thanks.

JulesK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow...I actually know who you're talking about (I usually don't have a clue about famous intellectuals) and I mourn his loss to the community of literature. I cited him all the time in HS anc college--I was a deconstructionst junkie and I though he was hysterical.

Sad.