Probably the best Taekwondo video I've personally found on youtube.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I liked his adaption of the hook kick, making it less circular and more linear. To me, it looked like he could use it effectively (i.e., landing a hit to the face).

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This can't be real TKD...they are using their hands. According to a lot of people, TKD is only kicking and is ineffective as a real type of defense. (please note: no sarcasm icon is available to tag with this message).

I will point out that his Flag is upside down. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
This can't be real TKD...they are using their hands. According to a lot of people, TKD is only kicking and is ineffective as a real type of defense. (please note: no sarcasm icon is available to tag with this message).

I will point out that his Flag is upside down. :)
Never mind them doing something silly like 'using their hands (The fools. Pfft)', They also seem to be trying to do Low Kicks, and Blocks, instead of keeping all Kicks High Section, and never Blocking because Blocking is dumb.
And why arent They bouncing more? What are They, White Belts?
And wheres Their Hogu and Helmets and Forearm and Shin Pads? Is this some kind of joke?

Im just having a laugh. Perhaps too heartily :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I enjoyed the vid, thanks. I don't doubt his ability, his hook kicks or his fighting skills. Seems to me the Instructor was just casually working with a couple students, which is always nice to see.

OP
Kenlee25

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
I liked his adaption of the hook kick, making it less circular and more linear. To me, it looked like he could use it effectively (i.e., landing a hit to the face).

From what I can tell, he's just mixing the motions of a hook kick and heel kick together, which is not a bad thing in my book. I for one have been known to combine hook kicks and side kicks together. When I'm spinning around trying to avoid a blow and strike at the same time, sometimes the opponent isn't in a linear direct from me. They may be to close or to far to my right or whatever. Thus I will use a hook kick towards the body and then at the last minute thrust. It looses a lot of power sure, but it is still more powerful that a regular hook kick alone and I can still hit the opponent hard enough to push them back ( thus not allowing them to counter ).

Also, Since people liked it so much, here is a video on his page I found of the adult lower belt class practicing. You can tell that the students in the first video were definitely higher ranked/better. I forgot what it was like not to be able to properly perform kicks haha. But with that training, he will have a fine batch of black belts in due time I'm sure. I find it interesting that he puts his lowest ranked students up front. Makes sense, he can monitor them better.

Last edited by a moderator:

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, taekwondo as it is now does not have much ground work. But just like everything else, arts must evolve. You can stay true to yourself for example yet still add on some more desirable character traits. Same with the arts I say.

It does have sweeps though. And with sweeps comes some kid of ground work.

Taekwondo never had any more groundwork than it does now.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Taekwondo never had any more groundwork than it does now.
Well, it depends on how You define Groundwork. Takedowns followed by getting up and Downward Punching or Stomping isnt exactly unheard of. Just not to much grappling on the ground.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, it depends on how You define Groundwork. Takedowns followed by getting up and Downward Punching or Stomping isnt exactly unheard of. Just not to much grappling on the ground.

That's still always been there and still is.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I could start with how the Kukkiwon doesn't teach anything but I know what you mean.

Grappling is not part of the KKW curriculum.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I could start with how the Kukkiwon doesn't teach anything but I know what you mean.

I always though that the WTF didn't teach anything. Now the KKW doesn't either? Who decides what KKW TKD consists of, then?

Grappling is not part of the KKW curriculum.

Then I'm not sure what you meant by your previous comment about grappling having "always been there and still is." I thought you meant in TKD.

Pax,

Chris

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What I said was, "Taekwondo has never had any more grappling than it does now" which is accurate. Cyracius mentioned something else about grappling and I pointed out it had still always been there. Lots of KKW schools have taught grappling for years, it's not some long lost art.

That does not mean the KKW outlines any grappling as curriculum.

Rhe Kukkiwon has suggested curriculum and monitors Dan ranks. That is all they do. They don't enforce any rules or any curriculum.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I said was, "Taekwondo has never had any more grappling than it does now" which is accurate. Cyracius mentioned something else about grappling and I pointed out it had still always been there. Lots of KKW schools have taught grappling for years, it's not some long lost art.

That does not mean the KKW outlines any grappling as curriculum.

Rhe Kukkiwon has suggested curriculum and monitors Dan ranks. That is all they do. They don't enforce any rules or any curriculum.
Would they not force curriculum to some degree? For example, what poomsae to teach. I was under the impression that these days it was taegeks only, or can you teach anything you wish?

Latest Discussions