Prisoners On The Run

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-escaped-inmates-0212-20120211,0,3179085,full.story

Ricky Haggood firebombed Richard and Deborah Dozier's house on Carmel Street in New Haven in 1990, while the couple was upstairs in their bedroom, sleeping. They managed to race out the back.
Haggood thought the Doziers, who were active in the local block watch, had tipped police off to drug dealing on the street. Haggood received a 20-year sentence in 1991 for arson.
But by 2003, several years short of his maximum release date, Haggood was on the lam. He didn't go over the wall — they almost never do.
He was released, by the state parole board, to parole authorities in New York in April 2002. Soon, he stopped reporting to his case officer, though, and went underground. In October 2003, while still the responsibility of Connecticut prison officials, committed a gang-related murder. He would not be recaptured until the late summer of 2004.

This article was in the paper this past weekend. Its a long one, but IMO, it talks about a serious problem.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Makes the death penalty look a little better, doesn't it?

The Courant culled the list of the still-missing and found 137 serious offenders who have been on the lam for years. Among them: a half-dozen convicted of manslaughter a

How many of the manslaughter convictions were pled down?

Difficult To Defend
The tool, which will be pressed into service late next summer, is coming too late for Curtis Davis.
Davis, 48, killed a man in New Haven in 1979, when Davis was a 15-year-old juvenile. He was sentenced as an adult in 1980 to 18 years to life, under the old indeterminate sentencing structure.
That meant he was eligible for parole consideration after nine years, or 50 percent of the lowest number. And good time reduced that amount even further. He was paroled after seven years, in 1987.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Makes the death penalty look a little better, doesn't it?

LOL...well, I'm an advocate of that, though many don't think that that is the best answer. My gripe with the DP is that it takes forever to actually do it. Now, I'm speaking only for Ct., as I'm sure other states do the process much quicker. For example, here are some of the death row people in Ct. Note when they were sentenced to death.

How many of the manslaughter convictions were pled down?

Don't know, but looking at this, I'd wager a guess and say quite a few.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-prison-repeat-offenders-0215-20120214,0,6765006.story

Of the 14,400 people released from Connecticut prisons in 2005, nearly 80 percent were re-arrested by 2010, and just under half returned to prison with new sentences, according to a just-completed report that contains the most complete data ever compiled on the state's recidivism rate.
The report, by Office of Policy and Management statistical guru Ivan Kuzyk, is scheduled to be released Wednesday. It also separately tracked sex offenders within the group and found that only a small number committed new sex crimes.
For example, 746 inmates served a prison term on a sex charge. Of those, 27, or 3.6 percent, were charged with a new sex crime; 20, or 2.7 percent, were convicted; and 13, or 1.7 percent, were returned to prison with a sentence for a new sex crime.

Yeah, they're really learning their lesson in prison....LOL!!!

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

VERY few people arrested are first timers. I locked up a guy today for distribution to a U/C officer. Hes 47 yrs old. He had 68 prior arrests 23 were felonys including Distribution of Schedule I narcotic, Attempted Murder, Armed Robbery, 14 assaults, 6 Resisting arrests and drum rollllllllllll he did a whopping 6 whole years for 1st deg murder in 1985. Hes only got 1 eye from catching a Baton to the face while choking out an officer.

Its rare to get a rookie unless they are 18 and even they they prob have a juv record.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And to add to it and this is something to remember when we all train because this does not just apply to officers. He has told me he likes to go to jail so he can work out get stronger and train to fight cops. Now that same mindset is what he will use against anyone in his way not just officers. There are predators out there that do train just as hard if not harder then many of us do.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
VERY few people arrested are first timers. I locked up a guy today for distribution to a U/C officer. Hes 47 yrs old. He had 68 prior arrests 23 were felonys including Distribution of Schedule I narcotic, Attempted Murder, Armed Robbery, 14 assaults, 6 Resisting arrests and drum rollllllllllll he did a whopping 6 whole years for 1st deg murder in 1985. Hes only got 1 eye from catching a Baton to the face while choking out an officer.

Its rare to get a rookie unless they are 18 and even they they prob have a juv record.

Yeah, I see it all the time. Makes you wonder, when you look at someones record, and see 30+ arrests, and somehow these clowns are still on the street, rather than sitting in a cold cell somewhere. No cares in the world, so sending them to a halfway house, in hopes that they somehow 'reform' themselves, is IMO, a joke and a waste of money.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And to add to it and this is something to remember when we all train because this does not just apply to officers. He has told me he likes to go to jail so he can work out get stronger and train to fight cops. Now that same mindset is what he will use against anyone in his way not just officers. There are predators out there that do train just as hard if not harder then many of us do.

Exactly! I remember a day, shortly after I began my short stint in the DOC. I was talking to this guy who was in for murder. Guy never gave me any ****. However, during our chat, he said that since he had nothing to lose in life anymore. Taking a swing at a CO, violating the rules, etc, whats the worse that could happen to him? So they take away his visits for a week, confine him to a cell for a week, whatever, it didn't matter. He would die in jail. Let me tell you....that chat stuck in my mind...lol.

IMO though, this is why I don't think that they should have the things they have. Sorry, you're in jail/prison for doing something wrong. You shouldn't have access to weights.

Latest Discussions