Pressure points?

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I saw a few clips of Leon Jay (Wally Jay’s son) doing what looked like pressure point strikes.

what do you guys think, is it bs?

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It does not apply to the fight dynamics at all.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I saw a few clips of Leon Jay (Wally Jay’s son) doing what looked like pressure point strikes.

Yeah mostly garbage. That is a terrible head position to be struck from so don't bend your head like that.

I don't know take a step backwards. Punch him in the nuts. Basically anything other than what that guy did.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pressure points work. Except when they don't. And they're inherently difficult to use under pressure when both parties are in motion.
This. I love playing with pressure points. My primary art oscillates between focusing too much on them (in frontal choke defenses, for instance) and mostly acting like they don't exist. I like to train them where they are an otherwise-valid target. So if there's a reason to grip the forearm, I'll train to land on the pressure point. If I miss or it doesn't work, the grip was the real point; and if the pressure point has an effect, bonus. Same with strikes to pressure points. I'll only train them if the strike remains useful without the pressure point (I don't have a lot of those).

But they're fun to play with. And the pain is good for toughening - the young bucks like it for that. And the women like putting the young bucks in pain, so it's a win for everyone.

Edit for clarity: "Young buck" is a state of mind. I'm still one on my good days.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Pressure points work. Except when they don't. And they're inherently difficult to use under pressure when both parties are in motion.
That sums it up very well.

There's also an added way to look at pressure points. I look at the jawline as a pressure point when I really want to hit. And the top of the abdomen, and behind the ear etc.

I know they're not usually thought of that way, but as a striker, I sometimes think of them as so.

I asked Joe Lewis about pressure points a long time ago, he gave me the same answer as you gave, Dog.

But he showed me one that I never forgot....because it felt like an electric shock. He showed my a specific place on the jawline to bite someone and hold the bite. You don't even have to break the skin, but you do have to apply good pressure. My poor black belts the next few weeks in the dojo, face biting the crap out of each other, oh God. But it remains one of my favorite pressure points applied just that way.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The biggest problem with techniques like this is when is an opponent going to give you that position?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem with techniques like this is when is an opponent going to give you that position?
I have not watched the video you quoted, but I use joint locks and pressure points to control violent patients on a far too regular basis.
They don't have to give you the position. You TAKE the position. And just like anything else, if you fail to take the position you wanted, you should have alternatives in mind.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have not watched the video you quoted, but I use joint locks and pressure points to control violent patients on a far too regular basis.
They don't have to give you the position. You TAKE the position. And just like anything else, if you fail to take the position you wanted, you should have alternatives in mind.
Naturally of course, but the OP asked about the technique in the video. It seems odd to give an answer about a video you never watched.

OP
M

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was just curious as to the clip really, like was it legit, I don’t doubt Leon Jay or his Dads credentials just rarely ever heard of pressure points used like that outside of some ninja stuff.

ive seen Eric Paulson hit the side of the neck, but he’s really clubbing it etc though

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
+1
I've tried to imagine how this situation could come into being and I've failed.
Not in this case. Nor he is using pressure points to controlo opponent, nor he is using positional dominance/body control to gain sure access to attack the pressure point.
I was just curious as to the clip really, like was it legit,..

If the comments section on youtube is closed this usually means that presented technique is garbage :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Naturally of course, but the OP asked about the technique in the video. It seems odd to give an answer about a video you never watched.
Why? The answer applies regardless of the specific technique.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not in this case. Nor he is using pressure points to controlo opponent, nor he is using positional dominance/body control to gain sure access to attack the pressure point.
In which case it has nothing to do with a conversation about pressure point usage, and you should maybe stay on topic?

OP
M

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
+1
I've tried to imagine how this situation could come into being and I've failed.

If the comments section on youtube is closed this usually means that presented technique is garbage :)
Every comment section for that channel is closed as far as I know

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My observation of the video shows the left hand of the defender controlling the right arm of the attacker while palm striking the face with his right hand. As the attackers head rocks back the defender places his thumb and finger under the cheek bones pushing the attackers head back further while striking the jaw with a downward palm strike.............the question was do pressure points work, yes under certain situations. In this case a hard hit on a downward angle to the jaw disrupting nerves in the jaw hinge and thus shutting down the brain.
Not really my cup of tea, just my 2 cents....

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My observation of the video shows the left hand of the defender controlling the right arm of the attacker while palm striking the face with his right hand. As the attackers head rocks back the defender places his thumb and finger under the cheek bones pushing the attackers head back further while striking the jaw with a downward palm strike.............the question was do pressure points work, yes under certain situations. In this case a hard hit on a downward angle to the jaw disrupting nerves in the jaw hinge and thus shutting down the brain.
Not really my cup of tea, just my 2 cents....
Yeah, to me the most questionable part is moving the head back with the pressure points under the cheekbones. Those hurt if you're standing still so they can get good pressure on them. I highly doubt they're much accessible in the chaos of an actual fight, nor do I think most people in a fight would give in to the pain without doing something in response.

Latest Discussions