Pregnant Yak-TKD take 2

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I posted a vid of yours truly hitting a bag a couple of weeks ago and got some very good constructive criticism.

Some things mentioned were keeping my arms more under control when kicking, avoiding the chicken wing and chambering kicks better.

I have been trying to work on those three issues. Not prefect of course but hopefully some of you guys might see at least a smidge of improvement. If not you will at least get a good laugh out of it I hope.

First, the original video from about 5 weeks ago:

Short clip of this morning's session:

I have to be careful with my left leg due to a torn meniscus plus I have a cold.

Comments appreciated.

F

NinjaChristian

Green Belt
Reaction score
I can really see the improvement! You seem to be in much more control of yourself; your hands don't flail out all the time as before. I suggest that you work on keeping your hands up, as you tend to keep them shoulder level or lower; leaving your head open to attack. Great amount of improvement in a short time, Keep up the good work!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nice. You seem to be more rooted and stable this time. Take care of that knee though. Let it heal. Not bad for the condition you are in. Ironically your breathing is better in terms of exhaling with the strikes. Before you had long drawn out exhales when you kicked. This time you don't have it.

I also like that you aren't trying to kick outside of your flexibility range. Your kicks seem to be more effective, now that you aren't trying to kick outside of your flexibility range. You'll eventually gain more height but keep doing what you are doing because you are improving.

Everyone can pat themselves on the back for giving you good training advice lol. Congrats on your efforts.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Keep up the good work, bro.

OP
Flatfish

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Take care of that knee though. Let it heal. .

Yeah, that. Just went with my doc over the MRI and it's quite a big tear. Gonna schedule surgery as soon as possible because he said "No TKD" (yeah right).......dagnabbit!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The improvement is noticeable. This is going to sound odd, but try to relax as you throw your techniques. It takes practice, but breathe in through your nose & out through your mouth as you throw techniques. Take care of your knee, too. Hopefully the doctor can schedule a repair soon.

Looking good!

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Solid improvement. Keep at it, but more importantly take care of the knee. None of us are getting any younger, and the longer you put it off, the more potential for more damage to it.

Meniscus surgery recovery and rehab isn't too difficult in the grand scheme of knee surgery. I've rehabbed a ton of them.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's significant progress for just 5 weeks. Much less random flailing about with your arms and winding up to telegraph your strikes. Your breathing is better too. Good job!

If you want some more stuff to work on, I would recommend focusing on the form for your punches. You're currently powering your punches almost entirely with your arms rather than with your body. Even when you put some body rotation into the punches, you don't have the body alignment necessary to transfer the power from your legs and hips into your fists. Try working individual punches on the bag with perfect form, starting slow and adding power as you get more comfortable with the technique. Figure out the alignment and range you need to transfer power from your feet all the way to the point of impact.

Remember to treat the bag like an actual opponent who can hit back. Keep your hands up when you are in range. Practice moving in with a combination, then moving out at an angle.

Good luck with the knee surgery!

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Looks a lot better, yeah! My only comment (other than to keep practicing) is that you're not pivoting hardly at all on some of those roundhouse kicks. This puts a lot of stress on your knee, since you're asking it to do the rotating instead of your foot. I don't know if that contributed in any way to your injury, but it's definitely not going to help.

OP
Flatfish

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Looks a lot better, yeah! My only comment (other than to keep practicing) is that you're not pivoting hardly at all on some of those roundhouse kicks. This puts a lot of stress on your knee, since you're asking it to do the rotating instead of your foot. I don't know if that contributed in any way to your injury, but it's definitely not going to help.

That's a great point right there and something I need to figure out for sure. If I throw the kicks higher I have to pivot, otherwise I can't get my leg up there but that then comes with other issues. I have been kicking lower to focus on chambering and snapping it out there without worrying about height so much but apparently lost the pivot in the process.

You're currently powering your punches almost entirely with your arms rather than with your body. Even when you put some body rotation into the punches, you don't have the body alignment necessary to transfer the power from your legs and hips into your fists.

Will do. We don't work on punches a lot in class so they definitely need work.

OP
Flatfish

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Solid improvement. Keep at it, but more importantly take care of the knee. None of us are getting any younger, and the longer you put it off, the more potential for more damage to it.

Meniscus surgery recovery and rehab isn't too difficult in the grand scheme of knee surgery. I've rehabbed a ton of them.

Just scheduled surgery for 8/1

Latest Discussions