practical knife disarm

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
just found this, though it an interesting techneque, the guy doesn't seem to have any martial arts skills. Just big, strong fast and brave , with an emotional attachment to his bag
It's difficult to comment without seeing what happened proceeding the video.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's difficult to comment without seeing what happened proceeding the video.

I can't even see the knife until the attacker had run off. Anyway, if I had to guess, I'd say the attacker was just a random thug with no training at all, and in that scenario, a bigger stronger person can easily overpower you.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. I wish the video started about 30 seconds sooner. As it stands, one cannot see how he managed to get control of the knife/weapon arm, and at which point he recognized that he was being attacked. It does show the value of being ready and able to fight for one's life, and the importance of strength when it comes to self-defense. There were also some very real possibilities that did not happen, but were extremely close to happening, in that situation, namely ending up on the ground by accident while there is a weapon in play.

Kudos to that guy for his response and for coming out on top, and thanks for sharing the video.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. I wish the video started about 30 seconds sooner. As it stands, one cannot see how he managed to get control of the knife/weapon arm, and at which point he recognized that he was being attacked. It does show the value of being ready and able to fight for one's life, and the importance of strength when it comes to self-defense. There were also some very real possibilities that did not happen, but were extremely close to happening, in that situation, namely ending up on the ground by accident while there is a weapon in play.

Kudos to that guy for his response and for coming out on top, and thanks for sharing the video.

The environment helped the victim a lot here. If they had been out in the open it may well have gone to the ground, but in that confined space of the bus the most the attacker could have really done is push him up against the wall.

jacksmall

White Belt
Reaction score
while this is an isolated incident, it did "work." Being without firearm against a knife...yikes. I think some stuff I have seen that looked at least somewhat practical was the redzone stuff of a long time ago. We used to work it in my group and it's just very dicey. Attributes, mindset, will to survive, etc. are all part of the equation.