Reaction score
This Hapkido is from Finland.
Some of the green belt techniques.

OP
Pentti

Pentti

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Techniques concerning first two belts in yellow and orange.

Raymond

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Based on your avatar, I assume you are a member of the group in the videos. So I mean no disrespect by this, but my personal opinion is that most of what I saw was not Hapkido.

Hapkido is the art of Choi Yong Sul. Which in turn was his interpretation of martial practices he studied during his life. Jabs, crosses, hooks, and such with gloves/shin guards were not part of Choi's practice. It's fine if we do those things, cross train, work with people from other arts etc but those things are their own things with their own names, but I wouldn't say Hapkido.

I am glad you guys are trying to develop yourselves as martial artists and improve your own methods and ideas, and wish you best of luck otherwise! :cool:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on your avatar, I assume you are a member of the group in the videos. So I mean no disrespect by this, but my personal opinion is that most of what I saw was not Hapkido.

Hapkido is the art of Choi Yong Sul. Which in turn was his interpretation of martial practices he studied during his life. Jabs, crosses, hooks, and such with gloves/shin guards were not part of Choi's practice. It's fine if we do those things, cross train, work with people from other arts etc but those things are their own things with their own names, but I wouldn't say Hapkido.

I am glad you guys are trying to develop yourselves as martial artists and improve your own methods and ideas, and wish you best of luck otherwise! :cool:
I don't see variations like that as changing the core of an art. If that's all that's different, it's a variation of Hapkido. The same basic principles are used, and they've introduced some new material. I don't think an art should stay static at the point the founder left it - most of them weren't "done" with what they wanted to develop in the art, anyway.

Reactions: CKB

Raymond

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't see variations like that as changing the core of an art. If that's all that's different, it's a variation of Hapkido. The same basic principles are used, and they've introduced some new material. I don't think an art should stay static at the point the founder left it - most of them weren't "done" with what they wanted to develop in the art, anyway.

I personally disagree. If I add double leg take downs to boxing, I'm no longer practicing boxing; boxing is the art of fighting with the hands and I am no longer "doing boxing". I'm doing something different. This different thing isn't any better or worse than boxing, it's just now it's "own thing". But telling you "well it's just practical boxing" wouldn't be accurate.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Pentti. :)

Nice job on the videos. You look good in the white.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally disagree. If I add double leg take downs to boxing, I'm no longer practicing boxing; boxing is the art of fighting with the hands and I am no longer "doing boxing". I'm doing something different. This different thing isn't any better or worse than boxing, it's just now it's "own thing". But telling you "well it's just practical boxing" wouldn't be accurate.
Boxing originally included grappling work (some of the folks here are well-versed in the history). Is it no longer boxing, since it lost that? Or would adding some back in would make it no longer boxing?

There are many techniques in BJJ that weren't part of Helio Gracie's teaching - they were evolved into the art over time by practitioners. Is BJJ no longer BJJ?

You could say the modified version is no longer the Hapkido the founder created, but I suspect the art changed quite a bit during his lifetime, so you'd have to decide which version of what he did is the standard to compare others' Hapkido to.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Boxing with double leg takedowns would be boxing done better.

So better Hapkido? Might be more accurate

OP
Pentti

Pentti

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mr Raymond

Modern boxing and old boxing are different. Modern boxing is not original boxing but it's boxing. It is born of old boxing.

In the traditional style of boxing, they didn't use boxing gloves so the punching thrust technique was totally different.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I already thought hapkido was a practical art. Calling this "practical hapkido" is just a bit pretentious to me.

It would be like saying "sport MMA".

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Who cares what they added? They are evolving, it's better than standing still.

Really? Is this the best you can do to nitpick? Come on.......

@Pentti cool video's, it's good to see people adjusting their traditional art and evolving rather than sticking in the past, like gpsseymour said. :)

Not the best I can do. Just low hanging fruit.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not the best I can do. Just low hanging fruit.

Let me rephrase. Calling this "practical" implies that other hapkido is not practical. Which, since hapkido doesn't seem to have an art or sport component, and is in fact purely self defense techniques, means that Hapkido is practical.

To call a school "practical Hapkido" means you think that other Hapkido is not practical, which is either an insult (saying the only thing it does, it doesn't even do) or shows a lack of understanding of Hapkido.

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That's choreographed, anybody can make this look effective.
(Nothing against Hapkido itself)

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me rephrase. Calling this "practical" implies that other hapkido is not practical. Which, since hapkido doesn't seem to have an art or sport component, and is in fact purely self defense techniques, means that Hapkido is practical.

To call a school "practical Hapkido" means you think that other Hapkido is not practical, which is either an insult (saying the only thing it does, it doesn't even do) or shows a lack of understanding of Hapkido.

Well, no, maybe all it means is that they're playing the name game for advertising. Adding "practical" or "tactical" to the name of your training makes it sound so much more DEADLY and DEVASTATING and THE SECRET TECHNIQUES THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW to the average, untrained, doesn't know anything about MA except what they see in the movies reader.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We haven't seen any "practical" clips from you so..........

You've seen everything I've posted over the 8 or 9 years I've been posting here? Bored much? I mean, I think I'm reasonably interesting, but not THAT interesting. Seems sort of stalker-ish behavior....

maybe you should show your "deadly" techniques, againts tiles? Like you avatar LOL

Those aren't tiles. They're 8x16x2" concrete pavers. If you're going to be snide, at least be accurate.

Again, OP, Keep up the good work and don't let these jealous....so called "practical" people get to you :D

Did I say anything negative about their system? I don't think I did. I said they're engaging in advertising hype. Which is exactly what they're doing. Because commercial enterprise, and all that.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No not staker-ish, I'm just stating facts that I haven't seen any clips from you, and that I doubt they would be more "practical" then the OP posted

Probably not. But no less, either. You may not have noticed in your rabid desire to sling innuendo, but I never said anything whatsoever about the practicality of their techniques. Nor am I going to. As it happens, I consider Hapkido (by whatever creative name is applied) to be an eminently practical art in most respects. It's not perfect, and it does have weaknesses, but that's true of every system. And every practitioner.

Ok maybe concrete, but do they hit back......

Actually, yes. Try a break and fail, and you'll find that the rebound of energy hits back plenty hard. Harder than a punching bag, certainly. Do you use a bag in your training, or do you only ever strike living opponents who are striking back? But of course, what you're really saying here is that you don't understand the reasons why breaking may be considered a useful training tool.

They just named their school "Practical Hapkido" who are you to judge what their motives are?

Gosh, if nobody (other than you, of course) is allowed to have an opinion or offer a possibility for consideration, this is going to be a pretty boring place.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did some breaking in past don't worry, but soon I found out that breaking stuff is ********.

Now that's out of the way, maybe next time you should consider starting with the bold part in the quote rather than whining about a name......??? :D

What whining? Can you please show me exactly what I've written that can reasonably be considered whining?
I actually thought what I wrote was perfectly clear. And, in fact, you seem to be the only person who had any difficulty understanding it. I apologize. I'll try not to confuse you in the future.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We haven't seen any "practical" clips from you so..........maybe you should show your "deadly" techniques, againts tiles? Like you avatar LOL

Again, OP, Keep up the good work and don't let these jealous....so called "practical" people get to you :D
Why break out the "you must be jealous" card?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No not staker-ish, I'm just stating facts that I haven't seen any clips from you, and that I doubt they would be more "practical" then the OP posted

Ok maybe concrete, but do they hit back......

They just named their school "Practical Hapkido" who are you to judge what their motives are?
He said the same thing I did. "Practical" is marketing language. Neither of us said there was anything wrong with using it. Schools need students - commercial ones more so than non-commercial, but any program needs students to continue being a program.

You're projecting an animosity onto his posts that I don't see in them.

Latest Discussions