power in lead punch

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I need to improve the power in my lead punch. I think I do OK when standing in one spot, but Im sure everyone does fine under perfect conditions as well. How do I get more power when doing the "launch forward lead punch". (I dont know what else to call it, just a lead punch while moving forward.)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Timing when you hit and when you land can help, as can aligning your shoulder properly. Remember that it should be retracted quickly. Are you hitting pads or a bag to judge your power?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, oddly enough the power comes from moving forward...

Keep your elbow in when you punch and time it so that contact is made as your lead foot touches down.

Chances are your timing is really off, or your elbow is flaring and absorbing the impact, but your jab should be a lot more powerful when moving then standing still.

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Timing when you hit and when you land can help, as can aligning your shoulder properly. Remember that it should be retracted quickly. Are you hitting pads or a bag to judge your power?

Pads.

Dancing Dragon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The power in my straight lead is made up of 4 essential things.

1. Keeping your arm and hand relaxed until impact.

2. Foward momentum or motion.

3. A slight twist of the hip.

4. Snapping your arm like a whip and retracting it upon completion.

But footwork is the main source of power. Just put your whole hip into it and snap it. You might wanna practice your form first to develop the muscle memory so it comes naturally.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
is there a "right momentum" to it?
i mean the human body tendsd to move the right arm with the left leg for example, so do you consider that when you punch? do you have to coordinate it so you punch with your right when you step with your left leg and move your hip?

G

Gary Crawford

start your momentumin with your lead hip and foot. They should work together initiating the motion,then your hand can whip right in.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
you've already got some great advice stated above. work on those. :)

just as important (IMO, the most important), strike through your target and not just to the target. target penetration is an often forgotten key to power in striking. you want to damage what's on the inside, not just the epidermis.

cheers, and have fun :asian: .

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sapper6 said:
you've already got some great advice stated above. work on those. :)

just as important (IMO, the most important), strike through your target and not just to the target. target penetration is an often forgotten key to power in striking. you want to damage what's on the inside, not just the epidermis.

cheers, and have fun :asian: .

Now Ive heard different stuff on this one in regards to HOW FAR through the target? Ive heard as far as possible, and Ive also heard 2-3 inches as any more than that is a push, not a hit. Opinions?

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe the penetration of the punch should indeed be 2-3 inches beyond the physical surface of the target. From previous breaking I have no doubt that mental penetration is an important component of an effective strike.

However, mentally punching the far wall of the room is not acceptible to the mind and removes one too far from the focus of the punch. Even striking a few feet beyond reduces effectiveness because, as you said, it becomes a push not a punch.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a good question. I too have been told many different things. I guess for most techniques I feel like I get a good hit if I imagine I'm hitting about 6 inches in. But, it varies. With a big swing of a stick, I mean to cut all the way through; with a finger jab, obviously, I'm only aiming an inch or so inside; and with a knife, precision is the key--I'm aiming where I'm aiming.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
cfr said:
Now Ive heard different stuff on this one in regards to HOW FAR through the target? Ive heard as far as possible, and Ive also heard 2-3 inches as any more than that is a push, not a hit. Opinions?

to me, that all depends on the target you are striking. if you are hitting the solar plexus, imagine you are trying to hit through to the spine. striking the jaw, you imagine striking through to the opposite side of the jaw, etc, etc. it's a good rule of thumb as long as you are not over-extending yourself, thus opening up vulnerable targets on your own body.

JPR

Green Belt
Reaction score
All good advice, also make sure your hand hits prior to your lead foot landing on the floor. This way, you translate maximum momentum / force to your target instead of wasting it on the floor.

Jerry

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Id like to thank all of you for your insights. Unfortunately, my instructor read this and kicked my *** for questioning his supreme wisdom! Just kidding. But really, he did read this and we had somewhat of a slow "lets break down the mechanics and figure it out" type of training session. I think what it came down to was a few things mentioned here already:

1; Not landing heavy on the front foot when making contact.
2; I was starting from too far away. Therefore, by the time I was making contact, I was actually dragging my rear foot. This one was probably the biggie.

Thanks again to all.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Dancing Dragon said:
The power in my straight lead is made up of 4 essential things.

1. Keeping your arm and hand relaxed until impact.

2. Foward momentum or motion.

3. A slight twist of the hip.

4. Snapping your arm like a whip and retracting it upon completion.

But footwork is the main source of power. Just put your whole hip into it and snap it. You might wanna practice your form first to develop the muscle memory so it comes naturally.
You stole my thunder, footwork is the key, as it is the centre of gravity i.e. balance that generates the greatest power. Train your footwork and you will find your power improves.

Dancing Dragon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, footwork and balance seems to be essential to virtually all martial art techniques. Practicing form first helped the most for me though, because once I had the punch memorized I could further improve my balance and footwork to add power. Remember, form before power.

joeygil

Green Belt
Reaction score
I feel I get the most power from a forward moving lead straight or jab when using the push shuffle footwork - that is pushing off with the rear leg and trying to land the punch before my lead foot lands.

This may have been a given, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

chof

White Belt
Reaction score
it is very simple, judge your distance correctly and let the waist and legs throw the punch straight, for every action there is a reaction, damage!

Latest Discussions