Power and Strength

Kevin__Huang

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Are there any difference between power and strength?
Some people said it's the same but my sensei said it's not.
I'm kinda confused right now.

Sent from my D2305 using Tapatalk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strength is how much you can lift with a given muscle.
Power is a function of multiple factors, of which strength is only one, and possibly the least important. I think speed and technique have more to do with power than strength.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Strength is how much you can lift power is how hard you can hit. It's MRI the same. A heavyweight fighter might be stronger than a lightweight but a lightweight could have more power

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
lifting is precisely the interplay of technique and strength. lets suggest that strength and technique is power.

so here it is in the context of weight lifting.
Strength vs. Technique?

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Strength is how much force you can apply with your muscles. Power is how fast you can apply that force. Mathematically, power = force x velocity.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Strength is defined as the maximum amount of weight one can move through a dynamic activity (through a range of motion). This is not the same as peak force, which can be measured isometrically (with no movement through a range of motion).

Power is defined as either force x velocity (displacement/time) or work (force x displacement) / time. The key factor in power is the time factor, which is why it is such an important variable for real world tasks and thus so physiologically relevant for human movement. There are even good data showing a solid link between muscular power and mortality in certain populations, so this is not just an athletic or human performance issue.

Training for strength can and will improve power, given the force aspect of the equation. In fact, there is more room for growth on the force side of the power equation than the velocity side, for most people. There is a reason that the most powerful athletes in the world also tend to be some of the strongest. Having said that, most persons who are really interested in improving their power don't only do heavy lifting, but also do movements which involve moderate and high velocities, such as ballistic movements or the Olympic lifts and their derivatives. However, you will never (or you shouldn't) see them doing only this, as it would ignore the fact that force makes up 50% of the power equation. Watch an Olympic lifter or sprinter train sometime, and you will see that they spend a good deal of their time lifting heavy.

Technique is not a power issue in that it increases or decreases it directly. However, having the correct technique for a particular movement might allow for the expression of that power compared to a movement where one is unskilled.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe, at the right time, you could ask your instructor to go into more detail.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Strength is defined as the maximum amount of weight one can move through a dynamic activity (through a range of motion). This is not the same as peak force, which can be measured isometrically (with no movement through a range of motion).

Power is defined as either force x velocity (displacement/time) or work (force x displacement) / time. The key factor in power is the time factor, which is why it is such an important variable for real world tasks and thus so physiologically relevant for human movement. There are even good data showing a solid link between muscular power and mortality in certain populations, so this is not just an athletic or human performance issue.

Training for strength can and will improve power, given the force aspect of the equation. In fact, there is more room for growth on the force side of the power equation than the velocity side, for most people. There is a reason that the most powerful athletes in the world also tend to be some of the strongest. Having said that, most persons who are really interested in improving their power don't only do heavy lifting, but also do movements which involve moderate and high velocities, such as ballistic movements or the Olympic lifts and their derivatives. However, you will never (or you shouldn't) see them doing only this, as it would ignore the fact that force makes up 50% of the power equation. Watch an Olympic lifter or sprinter train sometime, and you will see that they spend a good deal of their time lifting heavy.

Technique is not a power issue in that it increases or decreases it directly. However, having the correct technique for a particular movement might allow for the expression of that power compared to a movement where one is unskilled.
Good explanation. But don't forget that lifting weight also increases the mass which would add to the kinetic energy of a punch.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
For all you kids out there this is why you should pay attention in physics class.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good explanation. But don't forget that lifting weight also increases the mass which would add to the kinetic energy of a punch.

It certainly can increase mass, you are correct there. There are exceptions to that though. For example, if someone is doing a large amount of cardio and starts adding some lifting in, as they should, they will not expect to see a significant increase in body mass as a result.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lies! It is all semantics. If I say your technique is strong, you have power. If I say you have a lot of power, in your legs, I means you are strong. :)

OP
Kevin__Huang

Kevin__Huang

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Let's say that I wanted to get stronger. What would you guys recommend, power training or strength training?

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's say that I wanted to get stronger. What would you guys recommend, power training or strength training?

Power is trained by building strength and practicing proper technique.

I think people complicate the heck out of this. Pick up heavy things and put them back down. You will get stronger.

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Power is trained by building strength and practicing proper technique.

I think people complicate the heck out of this. Pick up heavy things and put them back down. You will get stronger.
Unless you mess it up, screw up your back, and then, you never can more than ten pounds again. :)

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are there any difference between power and strength?
Some people said it's the same but my sensei said it's not.
I'm kinda confused right now.

A more important question would be; if your Sensei said something and you didn't undersatnd, why didn't you just say that to him and ask him to explain?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And... maybe we can put some big ideas into words that are more useful! LOL

Strength is muscles. It's what you can do what with your muscles, how strong you are. Easiest way to measure it is pounds lifted, or heavy stuff moved around.

Power is force. Force is energy put into something. How hard you hit, versus how much you can lift or push. A quick, though a little inaccurate, comparison would be someone pushing an opponent across the room versus punching them in the chest.

Proper technique and structure will allow you to harness your strength to punch (or kick or throw or...) with increased force. Strength is a poor substitute for power

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
And... maybe we can put some big ideas into words that are more useful! LOL

Strength is muscles. It's what you can do what with your muscles, how strong you are. Easiest way to measure it is pounds lifted, or heavy stuff moved around.

Power is force. Force is energy put into something. How hard you hit, versus how much you can lift or push. A quick, though a little inaccurate, comparison would be someone pushing an opponent across the room versus punching them in the chest.

Proper technique and structure will allow you to harness your strength to punch (or kick or throw or...) with increased force. Strength is a poor substitute for power

Power is not Force. Power is Force * Velocity. Strength is not a poor substitute for power, it is an essential component of it.

Latest Discussions