Possible Bomb attack in London

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sure nuff.
Been sitting here watching it on the news.
Maybe it's just someone's way of saying "stuff the congestion charge"!
I wish...........

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is terrible thing this world six bomb attacks in the subway of england and one report said 2 dead another said 20, all I know is my prayers goes out to all the people who had to go through this ordeal.

Terry Lee Stoker

jonah2

Green Belt
Reaction score
Inevitable 'they' would bring the fight here (i assume terrorism), didn't think it would be yet though - Not going to say any more, looking at the news through serious red mist!!!!!!

Thoughts and prayers to the victims and families

Jonah

K

Kempogeek

terryl965 said:
It is terrible thing this world six bomb attacks in the subway of england and one report said 2 dead another said 20, all I know is my prayers goes out to all the people who had to go through this ordeal.

Terry Lee Stoker
Amen to that! BTW, I've always wanted to visit London and England in general. This will not stop me from any possible visits in the future. I have a few friends there that I would like to see and also walk across Abbey Road.( The Beatles geek in me) Prayers are with them as well......Steve

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It looks like the dead will be in the hundreds.

I have got to say this... you have to admire the genius of their planning form a purely efficiency based viewpoint. Al Queda seems to have waited until the police and intelligence services were distracted by the vast number of illeagle and disruptive activities of those protesting the G-8 meeting to launch such a deadly attack.

One part of me wants to punch every G-8 protestor in the mouth for making it so easy for them, and another part worries about the draconian steps that may be taken due to this new reality.

Very confused and hurt.

Floating Egg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I wonder how much planning was involved. Was their goal massive loss of life or just disruption? If the death toll isn't high will it still be considered a success by the group?

jonah2

Green Belt
Reaction score
Floating Egg said:
I wonder how much planning was involved. Was their goal massive loss of life or just disruption? If the death toll isn't high will it still be considered a success by the group?
bombs on rush hour traffic on one of the busiest underground systems of the world - I think the target was loss of life don't you. Disruption will of course be massive but temporary.

As to their goal - what exactly do terrorist gain - the IRA have been active for over three decades, have they acheived their goals?

Jonah

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Osama Bin Laden has always seemed to go for the targets that can get the biggest attention in the Arab world. Instead of attacking economic targets- like introducing mad cow disease to places, he has gone for the things that would lead to demonstrators chanting his name in Islamic countries.

This target seems to fit the bill. Most folks in Syria will not know that the massive security around the G-8 was hundreds of kilometers away in Scotland. They will only know that despite the massive security, they still managed to kill a lot of people under their noses in the UK.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
It looks like the dead will be in the hundreds.

I have got to say this... you have to admire the genius of their planning form a purely efficiency based viewpoint. Al Queda seems to have waited until the police and intelligence services were distracted by the vast number of illeagle and disruptive activities of those protesting the G-8 meeting to launch such a deadly attack.

One part of me wants to punch every G-8 protestor in the mouth for making it so easy for them, and another part worries about the draconian steps that may be taken due to this new reality.

Very confused and hurt.
I wonder how many legal, non-disruptive activities there are around the G8 meeting. I wonder if you want to punch those protestors in the mouth, too. I wonder when the citizens on the world lost the right to petition their leaders.

Ahh, the things we give up in the name of 'security'.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I truly hope that Bin Laden is found and tried. Preferably in America, where he can be put to death for his multitude of warcrimes.

T

Tremble

Seven bombs I heard.

Seventh month.

Seventh day of the month.

Alledgedly an Al Queda linked group has claimed responsibility.

London has weathered this before, by far more organised and heavily armoured foes.
Sure, London has ground to a halt today, but I don't care how determined these fanatics are, the gloves are off now.

I live in the UK, and acknowledge that, to an extent, we brought this on ourselves, in fact I've been expecting it.
Our government has a long history of interfering in other countries development under the white flag of trade and colonialism. In doing so, many of those countries are the better for it.
Look at the organisation of Live8, and all the potential good being done for the third world, timed to precede the G8 summit, with the topic of eliminating thirld world debt.

This is only the start!

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
I wonder how many legal, non-disruptive activities there are around the G8 meeting. I wonder if you want to punch those protestors in the mouth, too. I wonder when the citizens on the world lost the right to petition their leaders.

Plenty of legal non-disruptive protesters, but also hundreds of them were attacking the police yesterday. I assume they are the ones Don wanted to punch, and I would add a kick in the nuts for every single one of them too after this. I hope they're ashamed of themselves.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:

Well, there are a vast number of people who peacefully and lawfully protested the summit. But there are a number who do things like try to shut down entire roadways with their tactics that take a lot of police resources to stop.

I am not against protest- peacefull, lawfull protest. But you have to admit that the blatently illeagle stuff probably helped this to happen.

JenniM

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Bammx2 said:
Maybe it's just someone's way of saying "stuff the congestion charge"!
This is no time for humour - your comments are in serious bad taste BAMMX2 in such a dark hour here in the UK - please show some respect for all those who have lost their lives, are injured and have lost loved ones in what everyone thought was just another normal day in the City - My thoughts and heartfelt sympathies go out to all those caught up in this mindless and cowardly act by those with no regard for human life.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aegis said:
Plenty of legal non-disruptive protesters, but also hundreds of them were attacking the police yesterday. I assume they are the ones Don wanted to punch, and I would add a kick in the nuts for every single one of them too after this. I hope they're ashamed of themselves.

My God, you don't think that they would continue to cause trouble and distract the police after this. I am not talking about the peacefull protestors. I am talking about the folks that do things like trash "symbols of capitalism" like the local McDonalds. For God's sake, they could not be stupid enough to keep doing that stuff when it is obvious that every police resource needs to be used to track these sons of she-dogs down ASAP.

JenniM

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Aegis said:
I truly hope that Bin Laden is found and tried. Preferably in America, where he can be put to death for his multitude of warcrimes.
Amen to that!!!

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
My apologies, as I double-posted this in the study apparently. :asian:

Don Roley said:

Very confused and hurt.

Not to let conspiracy theories run rampant here, but on one hand, you have a highly organized terrorist cell bent on doing some severe damage. On the other, a group of activists protesting the actions of the G8 leaders. I'm curious if it was just a violent protest, or if they were instigated AS a cover for more insidious activities. *shrug* just theorizing.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
My apologies, as I double-posted this in the study apparently. :asian:

Not to let conspiracy theories run rampant here, but on one hand, you have a highly organized terrorist cell bent on doing some severe damage. On the other, a group of activists protesting the actions of the G8 leaders. I'm curious if it was just a violent protest, or if they were instigated AS a cover for more insidious activities. *shrug* just theorizing.

Naw, it was too easy for anyone to see that there was going to be trouble after all the other troubles over the years at things like this. There was no need for anyone to puch anyone else to run cover for them. Nothing different was done this time around in terms of protests that we have not seen before.

That is not to say that the non-peacefull protests did not help the terrorists. Just that there probably was no active planning to do so. Never attrribute to a consiracy what human stupidity can explain.

Latest Discussions