Poomse speed

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
One more topic, at what pace do you like to perform your forms in class, and why?

1. Fast even pace throughout
2. Variable speed, with faster for the techniques logically combined,
3. Slow, deliberate and graceful
4. Other

I suspect that I will get alot of, "it depends" answers, but give me a break I'm just trying to start another discussion focused on WHY. My personal preference is generally #2, but I also love doing #3 blindfolded.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say the majority of time it would be number two, but I do like number three being more of a self control thing for me.

AndrewKFM

White Belt
Reaction score
My Instructor always teaches, "Speed of technique, not speed of form."

In class, each of our movements and combinations should look bone-shattering. He doesn't care if we take 3-6 seconds in between movements. Obviously, there can't be a pause in a combo, but if you've finish a move entirely, he wants the next fully in your head so you can throw it confidently and lethally.

Outside of class I practice that, doing proper technique as fast as I can, doing it as slowly as I can, and finally, doing it slowly, but pulling against my pushes, and pushing against my pulls to keep myself in constant tension.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I try to keep a deliberate pace between pooms, but make sure each technique starts and finishes. My current focus is really getting better at "relaxed power" relaxed in the delivery with lots of power and snap at the point of contact. I find that when I do that well I also end up with a bit of #3 (smooth and graceful). Also means that some moves have to go faster than others depending on wether the poom is one move or a series of several moves.

Peace,
Erik

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd say #3. Sometimes our instructor will beat a drum for us to keep time. He varies the pace some, but it usually seams to be about 1.5-3 seconds per beat. That being said, it seems most kick/punch, block/kick, etc. combos are considered one count so there is a little bit of variable speed as you said with your #2 choice.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It all depends.

-Learning the form: Slow, deliberate, conentrating on execution (to a point)

-Variable speeds, because the forms call for it (I want to now what the big wigs were thinking when they invented that)

-Slow OMG slow is so much harder than fast, the muscle usage is so different!

But I usually had to tell the kids to slow it down, doing forms is not a speed race - especially when the result looks more like a funly walk with irrational waves....

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I like #2 I guess, but maybe more between 2 &3. I try to perform with a generally smooth, moderate pace. Not slow by any means, but not rushing fast - there isn't a race to see who can complete the form the fastest. And when watching a form I would MUCH rather see a moderate pace with good form than blazing speed and sloppy technique.

I seem to be in the minority though, I generally perform the hyungs slower than most at my school. But since I also occasionally get other black belts asking about fine points in one form or another I must not be doing it completely wrong.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
A poomse is not an end in itself. It is a training tool to teach, development, improve, something else. Improve flexibility, mechanical efficiency, balance, focus, etc... So I guess I would say "it depends" for the simple reason of "It depends on why you are doing it?"

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For me each move has a varied speed, depending on the technique, but the time in between each move is always the same, which I'd say is about .5-1 seconds.

scottie

Green Belt
Reaction score
I try to keep a deliberate pace between pooms, but make sure each technique starts and finishes. My current focus is really getting better at "relaxed power" relaxed in the delivery with lots of power and snap at the point of contact. I find that when I do that well I also end up with a bit of #3 (smooth and graceful). Also means that some moves have to go faster than others depending on wether the poom is one move or a series of several moves.

Peace,
Erik

I can't really speak for "pooms" as a matter of fact I read this just to see if I could tell what they are.
It sounds to me like they are similar to katas or forms in karate. If that is the case you are 100% right in my humble and maybe slightly uneducated opinion.
Bruce Lee as well as the Tatsuo Shimibuku (founder of Isshinryu Karate) where two martial art geniuses from different times and places. Both took quite a bit of heat using snaping style punches and kicks, they also changed their arts forever. (both also used a vertical style punch because it was easer to snap punch.) thats a different post.
Relaxed snaping style tech... with a clentching tightness just before impact add much more speed thus way more breaking power.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
A poom is one step of a poomse (form/kata). It may be one move, or it could be several moves...depends on the specific form.

I can't really speak for "pooms" as a matter of fact I read this just to see if I could tell what they are.
It sounds to me like they are similar to katas or forms in karate. If that is the case you are 100% right in my humble and maybe slightly uneducated opinion.
Bruce Lee as well as the Tatsuo Shimibuku (founder of Isshinryu Karate) where two martial art geniuses from different times and places. Both took quite a bit of heat using snaping style punches and kicks, they also changed their arts forever. (both also used a vertical style punch because it was easer to snap punch.) thats a different post.
Relaxed snaping style tech... with a clentching tightness just before impact add much more speed thus way more breaking power.

Steven Craig

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We are encouraged to go Variable speed, with faster for the techniques logically combined. I think this way looks sharp and graceful, but I have noticed over the years even within our club there seems to be a variety- to the extent you can tell a student's instructor by the way they do their form.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My thoughts on this are:
1 Beginners should always go so. They are learning the not only the movements but the stances and hand/leg movements, each of which require deliberate concentration to be done correctly.

That statement also goes for anyone doing a form for the first few times
2 Intermediates do the form slow at first then start to develop speed while concentrating on #1

3 Advanced student should feel the flow of the form and do it accordingly while making sure they follow the reasons in #1

4 If at any point the people in 2 or 3 start to loose correct stance, hand or foot movement they should start over doing the form as in #1

rip_dorey

White Belt
Reaction score
Poomsae should be performed in a fast and fluid way. Also you have to remember that movements shouldn't be stiff, body has to be relaxed. Also you should remember that if you kick higher you get more points. In Korea you get minus points if poomsae exceeds 1 minute.

I'm talking of course about national/world-class competitions.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Variable speed depending on the Kata, the sequences and what mindset you express.

Latest Discussions