Please help me decide between these three Martial Arts schools in my area

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That's not what I'm saying. Steve gets stuff twisted.

There is spiritualism that you have and your bring to your Martial arts.
Then there's is spiritualism that you

That's not what I'm saying. What you are saying is where a person brings their own religion and spiritual beliefs to MMA.

To use your sentence. I'm saying that the MMA coach received his spiritual beliefs from MMA as presented by the MMA system. Which is why I asked what spiritual teachings does MMA teach. Even with some Japanese systems there is spiritual and ritual teachings that is part of the Martial Arts system.
You should ignore Steve I think he’s a troll, he calls people who disagree with him liars.

you should look up Erik Paulson he’s pretty spiritual. People who learn MMA should at least be learning to be decent and honest

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not what I'm saying. Steve gets stuff twisted.

There is spiritualism that you have and your bring to your Martial arts.
Then there's is spiritualism that you

That's not what I'm saying. What you are saying is where a person brings their own religion and spiritual beliefs to MMA.

To use your sentence. I'm saying that the MMA coach received his spiritual beliefs from MMA as presented by the MMA system. Which is why I asked what spiritual teachings does MMA teach. Even with some Japanese systems there is spiritual and ritual teachings that is part of the Martial Arts system.
I just don’t see why an MMA coach couldn’t include as much spiritualism as any TMA, nor why a TMA couldn’t be as devoid of it as any MMA program.

My TMA experience had a moderate amount of philosophy. I think there are youth sport coaches who offer a similar amount of philosophy.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That depends on the coach, watch interviews with Erik Paulson, he’s very spiritual as is Guru Dan Inosanto supposedly, Silat, Kali, Muay Thai do have spiritual aspects to them.
I suspect the amount of spiritualism (or philosophy, which is what I think is actual under debate here) in most arts also depends upon the instructor.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I like you both. What I can see from reading this is that neither of you guys are very skilled at de escalating your own TMA vs MMA argument. I know because I am as guilty as anyone could be of this.
What’s really sad is I’m pro TMA and pro MMA. I just like them for what they really are, warts and all.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I can’t think of any reason an MMA coach couldn’t be as spiritual in their approach as a TMA instructor.
I think the spirituality comes from the integrity of the activity. As I said, the more prominent “spirituality” is in the sales pitch, the less likely it is to be beneficial, in my opinion. It’s a red flag.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I just don’t see why an MMA coach couldn’t include as much spiritualism as any TMA, nor why a TMA couldn’t be as devoid of it as any MMA program.

My TMA experience had a moderate amount of philosophy. I think there are youth sport coaches who offer a similar amount of philosophy.
Okay. Hold on. I think I get it. Do you all think something can only be spiritual if you are like meditating, praying, or in some other overt way doing “spiritual” things? Good lord. I think that’s it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Define spiritual. If you mean religious mumbo jumbo no, you won't find it.
I won't call it mumbo jumbo because some Martial arts have a strong budism influence and some have a numerology influence. Traditional lion dance is like this. If someone does a lion dance for a Chinese wedding then doing certain patterns too much or not enough will bring bad luck to a wedding. This is what I'm talking about. This is all cultural things with a long history of tradition. A person can still train at a school like this without adopting it. But that won't stop the school from sharing that perspective. Some people take Martial arts for this reason. If that's what someone wants then they won't get stuff like that from MMA. It's not a dig at MMA. I'm not saying one is better.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I won't call it mumbo jumbo because some Martial arts have a strong budism influence and some have a numerology influence. Traditional lion dance is like this. If someone does a lion dance for a Chinese wedding then doing certain patterns too much or not enough will bring bad luck to a wedding. This is what I'm talking about. This is all cultural things with a long history of tradition. A person can still train at a school like this without adopting it. But that won't stop the school from sharing that perspective. Some people take Martial arts for this reason. If that's what someone wants then they won't get stuff like that from MMA. It's not a dig at MMA. I'm not saying one is better.
I think you’re making my point.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you mean that trandecendant feeling of being in 'the zone' / one with your body/ connected to everything, you'll get that from rolling and sparring as much as any amount of air kata
This wouldn't be spiritual to me. This is chemical and doesn't require self reflection. It doesn't require any beliefs or moral guidance to obtain this state. Totally biological.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay. Hold on. I think I get it. Do you all think something can only be spiritual if you are like meditating, praying, or in some other overt way doing “spiritual” things? Good lord. I think that’s it.
No one said that's the only thing it's about. Again you twist things.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No one said that's the only thing it's about. Again you twist things.
I’m the one twisting things? Okay. I didn’t say anyone said that. When you understand the difference between saying and doing, you’ll understand how a person who says they can offer you spiritual benefits might not be able to do it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You asked me to name one spiritual benefit of training MMA. I named one. I could name more if you like.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That depends on the coach, watch interviews with Erik Paulson, he’s very spiritual as is Guru Dan Inosanto supposedly, Silat, Kali, Muay Thai do have spiritual aspects to them.
Almost all of the old systems do. That's the stuff that helps define Traditional in martial arts. Things like bowing, tea rituals, the way people sit, the way people enter or leave a room. All of that has come cultural meaning or some other significance not related to fighting. When I trained at a Kung Fu school, I couldn't enter or leave the class without bowing. I had to pay respect to the shrine. One day a kid bumped into the shrine and some fruit fell off the shrine. I thought that kid was going to die that day lol.

Weapons and other training equipment had to be positioned a certain way. The shrine had to be in a certain place as well. It couldn't be put out in the hallway. Lot's of cultural etiquette too. I didn't get a chance to learn it all. When I went to spar at the Sanda school I was supposed to pay respect to that school's shrine. My sifu at the time told me a little too late, but after he told me what I should have done, I started to do it. I personally like things like that because it's an easy and meaningful way to display respect to the those at the school and it's a nice humbling experience for me.

wolfeyes2323

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shotokan for self defense, it is a Martial art,
Kyokushin if you want to fight, it is a fighting art (rules,weight classes)
Tang soo do I do not know much about
MMA same as Kyokushin.
There is a difference between fighting , and training to fight
and training to not fight and still prevail.
Fighting is matching skills, Trading techniques,
Not fighting (self defense) is winning suddenly without even giving your opponent a chance,
Fighting requires strategy in the fight
not fighting requires strategy before the fight,
If you like to Fight , train to fight
if you want to survive , regardless of lighting, terrain, numbers, size, weight etc
train in a Martial Art.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Finally, you’re asking yourself the right question. Go back and reread the posts with that question in mind. I’m trying to help you grow spiritually.
Nah dude. I asked you a question ha ha ha. If I go back and read, I'm just going to think what I already think now.

Latest Discussions