Playing my form 10,000 times.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
again congratulation on being really smart, and good at taiji.

have fun in your practice and may good fortune smile upon you.

I think you take yourself a little too seriously, and are a little too quick to try and correct people.

the thread is about my practice, not who created the 24 posture form.

I does not matter to me, who created the form, or who taught you taijiquan.

Thanks for all your input, and have a pleasant day.

Truth hurts doesn't it

Just as a reminder

Hello.

I am a Yang style taiji player from Colorado.
I have learned my teacher's "24" form, and desire to learn the traditional "108" form.
I plan to play the form 10,000 times, before I move on to the "108".

I am happy to accept any questions, comments, kudos, or criticism.

please note, that i never wrote of a "yang" family 24 form.
I wrote of my teacher's "24" which, for whatever reasons he chooses, he adapted from his "108".

You appeared to care a few posts ago...now... after being hit with historic fact and replying with a bit of a snotty post.....it does not seem to matter.

Rabu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Its good to have goals.

It takes some courage, or at least some pride, to display them in public.

Dont be suprised if you receive feedback on your posts.

Best of luck in your practice and achieving your goals.

You can certainly not go wrong in listening to critique or feedback, and deciding how you apply it. Just because someone may have offered feedback in a form you didnt like, doesnt mean it does not have value.

I believe in stating some level of skill and putting that skill in perspective, it was Xue's intent to validate what he was offering as advice or direction.

I do not believe for a moment that he was either trying to be condescending or bring arrogant in his statements.

Just a few pennies from a pig....

Rob

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is often instructive to see if martial artists debate in the style of their martial art.

Should force be met with force?
... or should gentle direction be mistaken as force?

In the end, we can all learn from one another, no?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well congratulations on being right, and knowing so much about taijiquan.

as being right, and knowing so much, and name dropping seem to be all you care about.

How about quit being so uptight & listen to people who aren't selling (or trying to sell) you anything.

If I was talking Yang style, I'd listen to Xue & not argue. If I were talking Xingyi, I'd listen to Xue & not argue.

It's not his fault information is being filled in for you that your sifu should've filled in from the get go. No alluding to things... straight up. It takes less time to be straight from the onset than providing vagueness to let you fill in the blanks and make assumptions or mislead by leaving out pertinent info. Then when you visit a social board (which this is) you get told the story you were given isn't exactly correct.

Sorry... this one is on your teacher for not being clear... or on you for not asking & swallowing the whole dadgummed fishing rig without biting on it first.

Either way... ease up. You've been provided good info. If anything, I'd say thanks.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If I may ask a question

Why is your post on MT on Tuesday 07-27-2010, 10:04 AM linked to day 4 of your blog but on your blog the date of day 4 is listed as Day 4 to 10,000 forms - July 5, 2010 Monday

OP
T

toranaga

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If I may ask a question

Why is your post on MT on Tuesday 07-27-2010, 10:04 AM linked to day 4 of your blog but on your blog the date of day 4 is listed as Day 4 to 10,000 forms - July 5, 2010 Monday

entries not necessarily written on same day as exercise.

I started my paper journal, before the decision to BLOG was made.

Thanks for following my progress.

OP
T

toranaga

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Its good to have goals.

It takes some courage, or at least some pride, to display them in public.

Dont be suprised if you receive feedback on your posts.

Best of luck in your practice and achieving your goals.

You can certainly not go wrong in listening to critique or feedback, and deciding how you apply it. Just because someone may have offered feedback in a form you didnt like, doesnt mean it does not have value.

I believe in stating some level of skill and putting that skill in perspective, it was Xue's intent to validate what he was offering as advice or direction.

I do not believe for a moment that he was either trying to be condescending or bring arrogant in his statements.

Just a few pennies from a pig....

Rob

thanks for the insight Rob,
of course you are correct.

Rabu

Green Belt
Reaction score
You are welcome.

I would rather be liked than correct though, and so I reiterate what I said before: Keep up the good work and know your goals.

Be well,

Rob

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Fist congratulation on your 100th

I am hesitant to post anything and likely any comment from me is not welcome but if I might suggest working on intent in the form.

I have other suggestions but I will not say anymore unless you request it, and if you prefer I will do this via PM. Or if you prefer I will simply shut my mouth.

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What Xue Sheng said!!! My main comment would be that you "short change" your postures. i.e. you do not complete the posture, therefore you are not delivering any of the energies required for martial applications.

Very best wishes

OP
T

toranaga

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to you both for taking time to watch the video.
I know I have much work to do.

Today I cross the 200 mark and will be making a new video to post on youtube.

Xue, don't hold back, moving forward with positive attitudes. all comments welcome. Comments on form is what I am after.

EW, thanks for watching, I need as much help as I can get

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Intent is very important, concentrate on the form while you are doing it, and concentrate on the posture. Every posture has a distinct beginning and ending but that does not mean a stop between each posture. They all flow into one another.

Also just as a general comment about just about any Martial art form/posture. It is more than getting from A (the beginning) to B (the end) it is more like getting from A to Z and all the other letters in between should be correct as well.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me caveat this with the statement that I don't know tai chi to any particular depth, and that your courage in attempting to reach 10000 reps of the form AND to documenting it is commendable...

That said... when I've seen skilled tai chi, bagua or other internal form stylists peform their form, there is a rooting and solidity that you're lacking. I can't say why you're lacking it, though it may be in your stances and in the intention mentioned by others. Remember that the motions, be they assuming a stance, extending a hand or foot, stepping or shifting, or whatever, are meaningful and should be intentional and deliberate, rather than as if they were simply drifting, if that makes sense.

OP
T

toranaga

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Xue, than you for the pointers, I will take you advice to heart, for it is great advice.

JKS, thank you for your words of encouragement, and for your advice.

I know I have lots of hard work to do, that is why I chose such a high number.

I am only 7 months into my training, coming from a very sedentary lifestyle.
This whole "moving my body" thing is pretty new to me.
I was 380 pounds when I started, and now I am just over 350 pounds.
That is a whole lot of weight to move around. I am just getting to the point where I am not out of breath after playing my form, in fact I am up to playing it 4 times in a row, in regular intervals.
The intent is coming, the footwork still sloppy, the movements still sluggish.
I try to make each play better than the last.

I have added a daily 5 mile walk to my training.
Also I practice Taiji Qigong at least an hour everyday, and at least an hour of push hands training every day also.

Please know that I am committed to the art, and appreciate any and all comments, kudos, or complaints.
I know there are some very skilled players here, who can help me grow.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Toranaga, what are your intentions when you are moving?
What are you thinking when you're moving?
Where is your attention for a given move, and in general?
What are you trying to do inside?

Latest Discussions