Plateaus

S

Sabaki

Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum.

I can see there's some people here who've been training seriously for many years so I would like to ask a question.

Do you guys/girls experience plateaus, where you don't seem to improve for weeks or months at a time?

Do you suddenly improve after an inspirational event - tourny, grading, seminar or plain good training session?

Or do you feel as though you improve very gradually?

When I first started training many years ago, I could easily see myself improving.

I often don't feel like I'm improving at all until I see an old video of myself or bump into another martial artist who comments on improvements in my fighting style.

So, post your thoughts - I'll be interested to here your replies.

Cheers,

Carl.

OP
R

Richard S.

oh yeah,big time... whether its "i wanna be faster" or 4 bricks instead of 2... a couple of months back i posted a problem with my abdominal training smacking into a plateau, and the responces were incredible...i have a whole new routine for my abs now and i am WELL pleased with my new progress...........respects

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes. I'm at one now. I'm told I have good technique, but I stink at sparring. I don't feel like I'm improving. I get my butt kicked on a regular basis. But I know what I need work on (combos and speed), so maybe that will get me outta this rut.

Also, I'm half way between not being flexible (when I first started MA, I couldn't even touch my toes LOL) and being really flexible (splits). I'm stuck in a rut where I'm not getting anymore flexible. It's frustrating sometimes. But I think about the fact that I CAN bonk someone on the head with a round kick, so I'm starting to think that being able to do splits (besides for showing off purposes) is not required to be a good kicker. So I donno if I should even worry about it :shrug:

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

yeysyesyeysyes. i have, the first 3 weeks i felt i was going nowhere. then on the 3rd week, boom, i was kicking as hard as a mofo. i think all MAist feel that way when they first start. i was about to quit but someone told me id get better so i did:D

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Oh boy tell me about them,

I just got out of the worst one of my martial arts career, it lasted about a year, and it felt like I was just treading water. Actually, in some ways it felt like I was going backwards, because I could watch our intermediates getting better, well, feeling it in our sparring matches.

Doing forms didn't interest me, and oh boy yippee 20 more techniques. :shrug:

I started coming out of it about 3 or 4 months ago, I had developed an interest in medieval and renassance swordsmanship that sort of kick-started my whole martial arts focus. I think it is something every student goes through, you really can't do anything except to keep plugging away, though I do recommend going out and exploring new areas to see if the different information gets you interested again.

Lamont

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
everyone experiences plateaus... whether you're the beginner that nothing is coming together for, or the advanced practicioner stuck in a rut.

For the beginner, the best solution is to keep at it, and to try to bug people who are a level or two above you for help. sometimes the person who's been there just a few months before can help you much more than the black belt who hasn't worn a white belt for fifteen years. Black belts (and brown belts too (grin)) sometimes forget what it is like to be a complete beginner who doesn't know anything.

For the more advanced person: change your routine up a little bit... see what you can do to try to make things more fun and exciting... maybe compete more often or something to shake things up...

also, someone advised me to do this when I was stuck in a rut with dance... I had been dancing for five hours a day, six days a week, for three years straight. They told me "take a week off." I fought it, but my teacher saw how frustrated I was getting, that I tried so hard and just couldn't master that advanced slipjig step... and finally kicked me out for a week. It was the best thing he could have done for me. He saw how upset I was getting that I couldn't master something that everyone else made look so simple, and that my frustration was becoming a mental block. I spent the week relaxing and taking some time for myself, and was able to return with a fresh mind, and was able to appreciate the dance much more. It took me two more days to get the step right, and I was able to move on to other things.

sometimes your brain just needs a little bit of time to process the new information, and it can't do that if you just keep feeding it more stuff, so you get stuck. Take a little break...not too short, at least four days, but not too long, no more than seven, cause otherwise you'll lose conditioning. Do something else to exercise...go to the gym, go swimming, play a game of softball, but let your mind rest from karate for a while, and then you can return with a fresh outlook, which can make a big difference.

basically, if you keep at something, you'll move beyond the plateau, but if you're getting upset about it, its probably time for a break.

OP
S

Sabaki

Thanks for your replies guys.

Nightingale - I may try taking a week off at some point, but I'm sure I'd be itching to get back to the dojo after a couple of days if you know what I mean... ; )

OP
S

Sabaki

By the way, how long have you guys been training? what ranks are you all?

Carl.

OP
A

artful dodger

I never believe that when you hit a plateau in your training you aren't making any improvement. I think it is happening subconsciously. Ever noticed how when you come out of one you make big jumps forward or something all of a sudden clicks. Whenever I hit a plateau now I just keep on training (sometimes even when I feel like I'm going backwards) because I know that every hour that I am training whilst in that stage is 1 step closer to coming out of it and seeing improvements. It often happens when there is an aspect of your training that needs more work than something else and you're mind is subconsciously going there for a while. It happens in all areas of learning, and just sticking to it seperates the motivated from the unmotivated - because if you can get through that stage ...

Look back at the last time you hit a plateau. How much improvement have you made since then?

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Plateaus (Plateaux?) are an interesting thing in Judo.

With throws which are all about speed, exact technique and split second timing, I get better in bursts and then have long frustrating periods of hard grind.

Ground work is the opposite, every session I improve, but very gradually. The reason is that you can think about the technique as you do it most of the time, because it is that little bit slower.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find sometimes that I get in plataus not only physically but mentally as well. I'll get to a point where I don't feel I'm really getting any technique down at all, I just keep going through these weird motions, then a few weeks down the road, it just "clicks" and I've got it! Its odd, it can be very discouraging too, but I just keep sloshing through cause I know there is an end to it.

7sm

OP
M

Master of Blades

Whenever we get new students. After a few weeks I just get the feeling that they are reaching the same level as me. Ive been told its my mind coz Ive been doing in 3 yrs but I just get protective of my place in the class. but yeah sometimes I feel Im at a standstill and cant do whats needed of me.

OP
S

Shinzu

i felt like i was going nowhere plenty of times, but i do see differences in past videos and such.

it was about a year ago that my teacher and peers began to compliment me on my forms and techniques. all the hard work does pay off, but sometimes it takes much time to see it.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good advice, Night :)

Sabaki, I've only been training for 2 years. Almost a year and three months (roughly) in Tang Soo Do, now in TKD. See my sig for rank. I do enjoy it a lot, and I work my tail off at it. I gripe about my school on here, but I also work hard and try hard. My plateaus right now is with the school, not my training (well, except the flexibility thing LOL). I like the people I train with, and we do get good instruction, but the prices (and a few rules) are outragous. It gets so frustrating sometimes.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Hey, here's a good one, courtesy of Henry David Thoreau: "the corn grows in the night."

The 14th Style

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think it's a can't see the forest for the trees kind of thing. Sometimes it's hard to see any change when you look at yourself everyday. Sometimes it's good to get someone else's Perspective.
My teacher left here in January. So things have really slowed down for me. Since there is really not anybody else that teaches the system that I am in, here in town. I have a friend that I workout with, whom is in the same system. We help each other to learn and grow within the art, but it's slow going.

By the way, how long have you guys been training? what ranks are you all?

I have been training in Eskrima for about a year and a half, mostly Serrada and some Largo and Kali. There are no belts in the system I am in.
Respectfully The 14th style

OP
T

tonbo

Sheeeesh. Plateaus (plateaux? What *is* the plural?) are a way of life. I've been studying Kenpo for about 10 years now, and I have hit so many of those things that they are old, old friends.

I would second Nightingale's advice. Don't push it, just ease back a bit. Play with elements of your style. Try a different angle. Take some time off. Do whatever you can to relieve the frustration--you *will* grow, it just takes time.

I received my Black Belt in December. I am sure that hitting those "stopping points", where nothing seems to progress, are not gone.....they're just waiting to take me to dinner.....:D

One point I would add: always keep your training fun for yourself. Find different ways to do things. Open and close doors with your feet.....do the same with turning light switches on and off. Try to put MA moves into day-to-day activities. Play games like this as much as you can, so that your training is a little more light-hearted on occasion. You might be surprised at the results.

And oh, yeah.....if you take time off, and you miss the training, you are hooked, and you will just have to return to it....;) . I can't go for more than a day or so without doing *some* kind of training.....if I do, the training content of my blood gets too low, and I get really grumpy.....:D

Peace--

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
my own reasons for training would change, and that usually pushed me through the plateaus.
Still, when they hit, they really suck.
It is the worst when you do not even know you are there.

OP
S

Sabaki

The 14th Style - "can't see the forest for the trees", I like the analogy.

You've been training in Eskrima huh?

Do you have any forms/patterns/kata that exist in Eskrima? I understand it's quite a devastating straight to the point style that utilisises what some might call "dirty tricks" - not that there is anything wrong with that.

I understand Dan Inosanto trains / teaches Eskrima, are all types of Eskrima the same or are there different styles, as in Karate or other forms of martial art?

OP
S

Sabaki

Tonbo - in regards to getting really grumpy after not training for a several days, I know EXACTLY what you mean (and so do the people around me). LOL.

It almost is like you said, that the training content of your blood gets to low, maybe it's all the endorphins that are released after sparring and other intense physical exercise.

Latest Discussions