Pivoting

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd post this here, for those members who dont post on KenpoTalk. There is a thread over there, with the discussion focusing on pivoting. However, the OP over there was asking about doing the pivot on the heel of the foot, rather than the ball.

Now, for the life of me, I can't see how this would remotely work. Anyone out there pivot on the heel when you're throwing a punch? Seems to me that you're off balance, and there is zero power.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not a kenpoist -- but I'll sometimes pivot on the heel. It's usually for direction changing more than delivering a strike or block, or incorporates a forward/back rolling motion in the foot onto the ball then back onto the heel. Or sometimes it's a pivot on the heel as my weight goes off that foot, if that makes sense...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can see adjusting your footing by pivoting on the heel if there were a drop off you were trying to avoid, but I see piviting on the heel as a step to avoid pivoting.
Sean

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Stand in a ready stance with knees bent. Feel your hips drop into your heels while you keep contact with the floor with the whole foot. Now shift your weight to the balls of your feet. Once the heel comes off the floor in this way we lose some stability. IMHO

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stand in a ready stance with knees bent. Feel your hips drop into your heels while you keep contact with the floor with the whole foot. Now shift your weight to the balls of your feet. Once the heel comes off the floor in this way we lose some stability. IMHO
That is sort of the point, considering you are now in motion.
sean

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes the point is punching, and my add on is all movement. Tai Chi comes to mind.
In Taiji you pivot (with a few exceptions) with your heel still touching the floor. Rarely do you not want yongquan (Bubbling Well, AKA Kidney 1) to be in contact with the ground when you are fighting. It is a major source point of rooting and fajing. It is not connected when your are on the ball of your foot, or when you are on the heel.

So, from a neijia perspective, neither pivoting on the ball or the heel is correct.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wing Chun people pivot on the heels traditionally. Ask in the Wing Chun forum and I'll bet you'll get plenty of answers.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun people pivot on the heels traditionally. Ask in the Wing Chun forum and I'll bet you'll get plenty of answers.
Just curious, and maybe I'd be better off posting this over there but perhaps you know: How far off the ground do they lift the front of the foot?

When I was doing CLF it was almost all pivots on the ball of the foot. I love how two southern styles can be so different. It's part of the reason MA never gets old!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just curious, and maybe I'd be better off posting this over there but perhaps you know: How far off the ground do they lift the front of the foot?

When I was doing CLF it was almost all pivots on the ball of the foot. I love how two southern styles can be so different. It's part of the reason MA never gets old!

well this was posted in the kenpo section, but since everyone is contributing based on other systems, I'll go ahead as well.

In Tibetan White Crane we pivot on the ball of the foot, but you keep your heels down so they do not break contact with the ground. You need to adjust pressure on the heels enough so they can move in the pivot, but you do not lift them. Doing so undermines your rooting. This is something that really needs to be trained with shoes. If you try and train this barefoot like most karateka do, you will just rip up your feet.

We engage the foot actively in the pivot, driving it against the ground with the leg and hip muscles, thru the torso. We don't simply twist the upper body and drag the feet around behind us. By the end of the pivot, the heels are being driven into the ground.

I personally do not like to pivot too far forward on the ball, because I feel it's easy to lift the heel if I do so. I locate the pivot point to the area from the ball of the foot back to about the middle of the foot. That is the overall area that feels best for me when I do my pivots.

In Tracy kenpo, we are taught to throw a reverse punch from the fighting horse stance. You twist thru the waist, but do not actually pivot thru the feet into a bow. You keep in the fighting horse, driving your root into the ground to power your pivot in the waist.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
well this was posted in the kenpo section, but since everyone is contributing based on other systems, I'll go ahead as well.

In Tibetan White Crane we pivot on the ball of the foot, but you keep your heels down so they do not break contact with the ground. You need to adjust pressure on the heels enough so they can move in the pivot, but you do not lift them. Doing so undermines your rooting. This is something that really needs to be trained with shoes. If you try and train this barefoot like most karateka do, you will just rip up your feet.

We engage the foot actively in the pivot, driving it against the ground with the leg and hip muscles, thru the torso. We don't simply twist the upper body and drag the feet around behind us. By the end of the pivot, the heels are being driven into the ground.

I personally do not like to pivot too far forward on the ball, because I feel it's easy to lift the heel if I do so. I locate the pivot point to the area from the ball of the foot back to about the middle of the foot. That is the overall area that feels best for me when I do my pivots.
Sounds just like the rest of the neijia.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score

AFAIK, just enough for the pivot. But I only did WC for a very short amount of time so I'm definitely not the expert on this.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
AFAIK, just enough for the pivot. But I only did WC for a very short amount of time so I'm definitely not the expert on this.
So it wouldn't be unreasonable to say that they still keep the ball of the foot touching the ground when they pivot it?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So it wouldn't be unreasonable to say that they still keep the ball of the foot touching the ground when they pivot it?

In Wing Chun (Wing Tsun, Ving Tsun) this pivoting thing varies tremendously from lineage to lineage. The first WC I studied, under the direction of a Chinese sifu of some renown, advocated pivoting both legs simultaneously with the weight on the heels and allowing the balls of the feet to slide as you turn. The next dozen years I spent under another very renowned Chinese Master who taught us to pivot turning one leg at a time on the "center of our foot". As the first leg was nearly completing it's turn, the second leg would begin the motion with a sort of wave-like transmition of energy, so that you were always rooted with one leg or the other, with weight evenlly poised between toe and heel. Finally, there are other groups who weight the balls of their feet. Conclusion, at least they all agree on one thing. "Everybody else is wrong!" LOL

Now I haven't been involved in Kenpo since i was a kid the mid 70's, but my guess is that you won't have perfect agreement there either.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It wouldn't be unreasonable to me. As geezer said, it would be more of shifting your weight to the heels rather than lifting the balls.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

If you were to shift your weight to the heels, wouldn't you say that the same result would happen?

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting replies. Now, seeing that we have non Kenpo people replying, let me ask this...when you're talking about pivoting, are you all talking about from a stationary position or one in which you're moving?

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I got more replies from the Yongchun guys on a thread I posted over there.

Mike - I'm talking about both.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I got more replies from the Yongchun guys on a thread I posted over there.

I'll have to check that thread out. :)

Mike - I'm talking about both.

The next question that comes to mind is...I'm assuming the stationary position also has self defense application? If so, is it also safe for me to assume that if the heels of the foot are used, that its just as effective as if the pivot were done on the balls of the foot?

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Strictly speaking from a neijia standpoint, so long as you are connected to your grounding via yongquan it should make no difference to the amount of fajing generated weather the main weight is on the heel or the ball.

Latest Discussions