Pit-Bull dilemma??

Calm Intention

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This may be out of the box, but its a concern none-the-less, and maybe others here have asked themselves the same question:

"How do you defend yourself against a pit-bull"?
My neighborhood is really going down hill, and for whatever reason, it seems as this trend grows, so does the presence of 'the new neighbors' owning pit-bulls.:idunno:

I've been confronted 2X with these type dogs(in the past), and it wasn't a pleasant experience- but I suffered no harm either time(very very lucky for myself). I've no doubt if there had been an actual attack, I'd have been toast.
So I beckon, what resource(when you've no weapon to help you), would you utilize?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think there is a way to defend your self against a pit bull..Yes, they are very popular with the "drug boys" because they raise them to be ultra aggressive..Over the years while on duty I have been charged by smaller and medium size dogs and a quick front snap kick to the muzzle stopped the charge long enough to reach my "pepper spray"
Trying that on a "pit bull"would be a big mistake..Maybe the others will have better sugestions..

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are able to climb somthing, CLIMB!!! Or get a weapon, tool making and useage is what allowed us to become successful over the other animals that were stronger than we were in the "caveman" days

rompida

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was attacked by one several years ago - it all happened very fast. I would have been toast if the owner didn't come out and pull him off of me. The dog just kept leaping up for my throat/face area. I kept feeding him elbows, and so I just had chunks taken out of my arms instead of neck. I roundhouse kicked that dog in the head as hard as I could and it didn't even faze him. I was somewhat trapped on a front porch with railing. In retrospect, I should have jumped over to put the railing between us... but again, it happened so quick my first instinct was to protect myself instead of jumping over.

I would advise...

1) carry a quick deploy weapon - a folding knife would take to long to get out and open.

2) When walking through this area, be aware of your surroundings and where you could take cover or get behind. (parked cars, fences, etc.) Try to avoid walking through the area if possible.

3) Start callling animal control ANYTIME you see these dogs out without a leash. They will come and get them or write tickets. Animal control destroyed the dog that attacked me.

best of luck and I hope it never happens to you. I would have much rather have taken on the owner than his dog. To this day I still freeze up for a second or two when I see a pitbull.

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Calm Intention said:
This may be out of the box, but its a concern none-the-less, and maybe others here have asked themselves the same question:

My neighborhood is really going down hill, and for whatever reason, it seems as this trend grows, so does the presence of 'the new neighbors' owning pit-bulls.:idunno:

I've been confronted 2X with these type dogs(in the past), and it wasn't a pleasant experience- but I suffered no harm either time(very very lucky for myself). I've no doubt if there had been an actual attack, I'd have been toast.
So I beckon, what resource(when you've no weapon to help you), would you utilize?

I can offer you two tips as someone who was very very fond of dogs [my dad owned and bred many champion English Bull Terriers - yeah the ones with the colored patch around their eye] but since being attacked by an unleashed animal while biking to work I am more prepared nowadays.

When you know a dog has you in his sights for the 5 meter radius I use these and they *do* work in 90% of cases. Some dogs will jump as if they have been hit by a car, some go a little crazy but few are impervious to it. I have one mounted to my handlebar and use it *zealously* like a cycle bell. And I'll admit a certain sadistic pleasure using them to chase cats from the kids' sandbox in the back yard
http://www.dazer.com/dog-deterrent.jsp

Once you see the animal move aggressively towards you my only advice is to just be ready with whatever you have. As a wearied cyclist and lacking the tip of my pinkie and a bitesize piece of my hand from the attack, I now carry one of these things below strapped to my seatstay. You might think it's Dickensian but it'll skin an aggressive dog no problem in fact if you need to, it will do a lot more damage than that and it's actually quite a fun thing to play with. Not the most legal thing in the world where I am from but I'll take that chance because I'd rather keep sufficient fingers to continue tinkling my ivories and ebonies as it were! Hehe.
http://www.coldsteel.com/95sseries.html

But yeah awareness is absolutely the most important thing.

Respects!

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Do not turn your back and run. You might try backing away while looking at the dog. On a pit they bite down and holld and then shakee to get a stronger bite. as with any dog. you have a break at the back of the jaw The dog has no strengh there over all you can use something to pry the jaws opens. Pits are often kept by people that well do not do every thing legal drugs or steal. Then people keep them for competition pulling and as pets. But they were bred so long for the pit fights they are not the best of pets. And are very strong dogs. Nice today bad tomorrow. The owners should make sure the dog is kept safely not a threat. But some do not report them to animal control voice your concerns to the local police. Pepper spray carried in hand on a walk sure could halp. Used to be something called hokie pokie. It was a spray you could spray on a dog kind of froze the skin and the dog would yelp and run away. Did not really hurt the dog. But the dog did not want to stay around and get sprayed agin. I would call the local police. Ask them that if you were walking and had problems related to a dog attack Could you carry and use pepper spray or would they recom,end some thing legal that you could use to repale the attack.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, you should remember that Staffordshire Terriers (colloquially known as pit bulls), like other breeds labelled as 'vicious' are only vicious when mistreated or badly bred; properly bred and raised pits are very calm family dogs that are very good with children. However, the breed also has very strong jaws, so that when they do clamp down, it is harder to get their jaws loose than for other dogs.

The same rules that work for other breeds and other wild animals hold true for pits as well. Avoidance is your best bet; if that's not possible, then you need to know how to face the dog down without letting it see you as prey. Remain as calm as possible, and back away - don't run, and don't turn your back.

If you want further advice, I would suggest contacting a local shelter, such as the Humane Society, for information. They can provide you with more specifics about vicious dogs, and how to deal with them, and can also provide you with a way to report potentially vicious dogs and have them evaluated before it reaches the point that one attacks.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don't try hitting it in the head, my brother used to have one, one day he was walking it and it ran out in front of a bus. The bus actually ran over the dogs head, it flipped the dog over but it got up and was fine afterwards. Shows they're incredibly strong and tough animals! So if a bus can't do it, I doubt your hand would. I hope I never have to face one in anger. Sorry I haven't got any real advice but thought I'd share!

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will start my response with this:

I am the proud owner of an American Pit Bull Terrier (otherwise known as a "pitbull"). The American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) is not only our American Heritage Dog, being a breed that is as american as apple pie blue jeans, but it is probably one of the best family dogs that you could own.

So, not that I take offense, but this thread should be labelled "what should I do if attacked by an out of control dog?" ANY dog that is large enough and mean enough to be a concern is a problem - not "pit bulls" specifically.

That said, certain dogs do have physical attributes that you must be careful of and take into consideration for your self-defense plan.

On top of being a great dog around family and kids, my APBT is also being trained for SAR (search and rescue) and protection work. I will say that there are some noticable physical traits that should be considered; CLIMBING is one of them. German Shepards and Malinos that we work with can climb when trained. With APBT, it happends to be an inherent quality in the breed. My dog has the abilities (although he doesn't always use these abilities unless highly motivated) to climb fences, and trees. My dog is a small 50lb dog, but has taken running leaps where his hind legs have reached my chin level. Some dogs are very athletic naturally; so consider this point when considering escaping from certain animals.

As to a self-defense plan:

1. In the immediate, PEPPER SPRAY is your best friend against almost any dog. Pepper spray ruins the motivation of dogs to hurt you. This will work almost everytime; I only say almost as a disclaimer, but I haven't heard of it NOT working (unless the dog is rabid or drug induced).

2. Keep on your neighbors asses if they are doing cruel things to the animal to make it mean. If anyone is neglecting or abusing animals in your neighborhood, take responsability and report it. And keep reporting it! With any luck, the scumbags will have their pets taken from them. The biggest problem with dangerous dogs is that the owners have usually made them that way. Go after the owners within the limits of the law, but relentlessly.

3. If there is no visable signs of neglect or abuse, see if you can get to know the neighbors dog. See if you can "meet" the dog with the owners permission. Bring it a food motivator like cut up hot dogs. Meet the dog several times. Say "hi" to it when he see's you. All of these things add up; a lot of times fears of neighborhood dogs have more to do with the dogs neighbors then the dog itself. Befriending the dog does a couple of things; #1. it helps disipate your fears, which all do respect may in fact be irrational; and #2. it will aquaint the dog to you so if there is ever an incident (like he gets out of the yard or something) he is more likely to listen to you and therefore be less of a threat.

As to APBT; these dogs are incredably people oriented and friendly by nature, even though they may seem frightening. They don't have natural human aggressive or territorial tendencies like "guard dog" breeds (dobermans, rotts, etc.), which is why they often make terrible guard dogs, especially when it comes to property protection. So, don't let the intimidating outer shell fool you.

Lastly: Although I have mentioned some breed specific things regarding APBT; chances are your neighborhood friend isn't a pure APBT anyways. A good way to tell is size; APBT don't usually exceed 60lb if they are healthy; and that would be considered a very large pit. There are some who have breed large pits going as heavy as 90 lbs or so, but that is incredably rare. If it is this monster of a dog, then chances are it is a lab-pit mix, boxer mix, american bulldog, or some other such breed.

Not that it really matters for your self-defense plan. But, just do your homework if your really curious as to the breed. I have run into many owners who have introduced me to their "pitbulls" when the dog was in some cases nowhere near being the actual breed.

Good luck; with some common sense you shouldn't need it! ;)

Paul Janulis

OP
C

Calm Intention

Orange Belt
Reaction score
swiftpete said:
Don't try hitting it in the head, my brother used to have one, one day he was walking it and it ran out in front of a bus. The bus actually ran over the dogs head, it flipped the dog over but it got up and was fine afterwards. Shows they're incredibly strong and tough animals! So if a bus can't do it, I doubt your hand would. I hope I never have to face one in anger. Sorry I haven't got any real advice but thought I'd share!

*appreciate everyones response here.

SP,
Wow! I just doubled my worried state of mind with that! A bus yet!

I do think I will be making calls to animal control- good idea.

I don't know how practical this is, but I had a friend from West Philly whom I once spoke of this with after being confronted my first time; anyway, he says to me that if you can pick up the dog by the rear legs, and throw it against a wall(or whatever),.........
Absolutely true comment of his, and I'm thinking to myself, yeah right, the dogs just going to allow that to happen.

I'll just say in the first case, I tried to befriend this pit, and although I was frighened, for whatever reason, this dog(after running directly at me from across the street), seemed more like he needed a friend possibly- followed me for 3 blocks and ran off.
The 2nd time, just the grace from above- I'm too embarrassed to tell you what I thought would work; but, these dogs dont care much about human psychology to say the least.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While hitting or kicking can work with most dogs, sometimes...especially with aggressive Terriers...hitting or kicking the dog can actually make them become more aggressive.

As already suggested, carry pepper spray or another quick access weapon, and call animal control everytime you see one off a leash.

If you can...picking a dog up by the hind legs actually works. I don't know about the throwing it against a wall part...lol...I guess if it knocks the dog out it would be a good follow-up. :)

I had 2 Jack Russell Terriers...a momma (a 12 pound dog) and her son (a 17 pound dog)...the son was the alpha male of the litter...he does NOT like other animals AT ALL...and was even very aggresive with his momma. We had to feed them separately and no bones or toys of any kind allowed. He attacked her on several occasions...very badly...NOTHING stopped him...we threw water on him..hit him in the head...kicked at him...threw a blanket over him (this was also a suggested option)...it was frightening..once he got a hold on the other dog he would not stop or let go for anything. UNTIL we heard about picking him up by the rear legs. Next time he snapped and attacked Abby that's what we did. Picked him up and let him dangle until he let go of Abby. It worked pretty fast too. It would be harder to do this with a larger dog like a pit bull...but in the heat of the moment could be a good option.

And as Paul mentioned...Pit Bulls are great family dogs...it just depends on how they are trained...and since they are so strong, tough, and tenacious, they are a popular breed by those who want "attack dogs".

We had to have our little momma dog put down a few weeks ago due to a very painful degenerative disc disease she developed...she was 9 years old.

Below is a picture of my son with our 2 dogs...Abby, the little one, is the momma, and Moose, the larger one is the little attack monster and we still have him.

One more thing I just thought of....and I don't know if this is a good idea or not so chime in with your thoughts.
But...what about buying some really yummy treats and tossing them to the dogs whenever you see them...whether they are leashed or not...and maybe they would come to associate you with good things and not be aggressive toward you. ???

OP
C

Calm Intention

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:
But...what about buying some really yummy treats and tossing them to the dogs whenever you see them...whether they are leashed or not...and maybe they would come to associate you with good things and not be aggressive toward you. ???

I had a neighbor next door with twin Pits, and knew them from a few weeks old- up till about 9mos.,, and used to feed them treats and pet them. However, at around possibly the 6th month, they began making me pretty nervous by their building aggressive nature.

As to creating treats around with me, possibly a very good preventative measure- but since I don't know dogs well, is that a certain solution?
Like, they get a treat, and then I'm their buddy...or just not their lunch?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Calm Intention said:
My neighborhood is really going down hill,

Good suggestions, pit bulls are very tough, and if it is a dog from a good line it can be a great pet.

But many , as mentioned previously by Drac, owners "raise them to be ultra aggressive". I know a friend in a local PD that had to shoot one to stop it.

My suggestion.... move to a different neighborhood.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Calm Intention said:

As others stated It is not just PIT Bulls, but dogs that have gone feral or bad from mistreatment that are the issue.

I do not have the training that some others have but I do have a few experiences to share.

When I was a kid back in the 70's, there was a guy who rented on our street. (* Nice rural dirt road *) He had his Doberman from the service with him. (* This is the story he told us and the owners of the house I cannot verify truth of it then or now. *) He had to keep the dog inside or in a covered kennel. This dog was always good and there was never a problem. The problem was the offspring of this dog that he tried to train by himself. In particular one he kept was a real mean dog. The dog would chase kids on bikes and bite them when he got off his rope or out of his collar. The owner of the Dog told the police the kids antagonized the dog and teased him. We were kids who just rode our bikes up and down the dead end road. Well one day goign to visit a friend past this house he came out of his yard after me. (* The excuse was, his wife had let the dog out and did not think it needed to be chained or leashed. *) I stopped my bike and spun it around and hit him with the front tire as he came up on me. I then kept the bioke between him and me. The wife now aware by the barking comes out and yells at me for teasing and hitting the dog with your bike. I yell back get your dog off me and I will stop hitting him with my bike. She called to police. Police arrived I explained what happened and told them the dog was out now. I owuld ride by on the far side to show how I was not teasing but just going by. The police saw it and then went and knocked on her door. The police explained to the landlord that they now believe all the other cases. They moved out in a couple of months.

Point here, pay attention and use weapons and kept distance and always look at them do not turn your back and run when they begin to chase as this is predator prey metality. (* PS I rode by real slow so as not to have the chase sense go off on the dog *)

On another case, I had to go into a place to explain to the owners that the skulls of the goats and other animals they hung on our business fence (* shared proeprty line *) were not acceptable behaviour. The dogs were all mean and would chase any one who tried to walk in. If one drove in with a vehicle they came up to it but staid out of range to not get hit.

Point was that there was about a 3 foot wide path that zig zagged through their property to get through the 12+ dogs. (* Later they were busted for drugs. *) I walked through by looking at each animal and letting it know I was there and not afraid of it. Some came to their limit to look and others barked but I made no quick motions and no fear actions.

I got through the guantlet and owners of the place were very surprised I had made it though. Where by they apologized for the skulls and took them down and watched me leave back out. (* Note: They did not call the dogs off, they were jerk and wanted to see how I did it. *)

I once encountered a dog that wanted a piece of me in my own yard. I had no immediate weapon and no place to get up high or no place to move to. I smiled at the dog (* Showed my teeth *) I then growled, (* Yes I know it was a challenge *), and then I told the dog as I walked forward slowly like I was stalking it, that I was going to kill it. I am going to kill you you little ..., . The dog backed off enough for me to get to the shed door where a rake was. I grabbed it and then I place it between us and continued to walk towards the dog stalking it. The dog was not happy, and when I got to place where I could swing I tried to kill the dog with the swing. I then yelled and kept after the dog, unitl it was way up the road in front of me. Then I just stopped in the road and staid there waiting to see if it was going to turn around and come back.

Point is to not show fear. Do not loose eye contact. Do not turn your back. Let the dog know it may win but it will not survive much longer than you. Unless it is sick, it's survival instinct should realize that this is nto the right place and time.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Calm Intention said:
I had a neighbor next door with twin Pits, and knew them from a few weeks old- up till about 9mos.,, and used to feed them treats and pet them. However, at around possibly the 6th month, they began making me pretty nervous by their building aggressive nature.

Usually it just appears that they are aggressive because they are energetic dogs who play a bit rough.

A lot of success or failure with dealing with dogs is how you handle YOUR FEAR.

I have direct experience dealing with this because I have just started doing "helper work" for our protection group. That means, I get to be the assailent and I wear the bit arm and suit. So....that means that I have to deal with aggressive dogs (mostly shepards) biting at me.

From this experience, I can say that if you demonstrate leadership and no fear, you can greatly influence an animal vs. if you are fearful. Dogs know when you are fearful and can take advantage of that.

In order to build a up a fear tolerance, the only good solution is just to work with the dogs. Play with them...play tug, throw the toy, etc. You get to know how to deal with canine personalities that way.

As to creating treats around with me, possibly a very good preventative measure- but since I don't know dogs well, is that a certain solution?
Like, they get a treat, and then I'm their buddy...or just not their lunch?

Dogs don't see people as food on the food chain...lol....so no. Food is high on the priority list for most dogs. If you offer bits of food on a regular basis from a safe place (though a fence for example) then you can gradually build to being near the dog without having to worry about being attacked. Even the most aggressive dogs will generally not be aggressive to someone viewed as a "food bringer."

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I own a rednose pit bull. My neighbor kept it on a foot and a half chain, no shelter, beat her and was probably going to fight her. When he went back to Mexico he just left her and I went and got her, early enough in her life so that now she is a good dog, does my miles with me every morning. It is not the dog, it is the owner. Unfortunately this breed does attract a certain kind of scumbag that will take what is wonderful about dogs, their desire to please, and twist it into something painful and horrible . On the average they are a little gamer than most dogs, they do love to play, exercise and gentleness is the key. I'd deal with a problem pit bull like i'd deal w/any problem dog. Don't run, stand your ground, make use of your opposable thumb (fill your hand).

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I once encountered a dog that wanted a piece of me in my own yard. I had no immediate weapon and no place to get up high or no place to move to. I smiled at the dog (* Showed my teeth *) I then growled, (* Yes I know it was a challenge *), and then I told the dog as I walked forward slowly like I was stalking it, that I was going to kill it. I am going to kill you you little ..., . The dog backed off enough for me to get to the shed door where a rake was. I grabbed it and then I place it between us and continued to walk towards the dog stalking it. The dog was not happy, and when I got to place where I could swing I tried to kill the dog with the swing. I then yelled and kept after the dog, unitl it was way up the road in front of me. Then I just stopped in the road and staid there waiting to see if it was going to turn around and come back.

Point is to not show fear. Do not loose eye contact. Do not turn your back. Let the dog know it may win but it will not survive much longer than you. Unless it is sick, it's survival instinct should realize that this is nto the right place and time.
Awesome story Rich and it took a lot of presence of mind on your part to handle the situation as you did...all of them actually...but I really think this is the coolest one...growling and stuff at the dog...you got your point across to the animal that you were meaner than he was and it would be a mistake to attack you. I have heard that you should NEVER run from a dog but I didn't know about the eye contact. I thought that was bad too but obviously not...I guess you would WANT to appear aggressive and inimidating to the dog instead of trying to present yourself as a non-threat in that type of situation. Kudos. :asian:

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This happened back in the mid 1980s. A friend of mine raised pitts took them to pulling matches He did not treat the dogs bad. Now he had a friend who also done this. And had a champion pit That persons wife went out to feed the different dogs and when she fed this one as she had done many times it just jumped up and bit her whole ear off. It did not do any thing else It just got excited and she lost her ear. Now they had the dog put down. As they felt they lost control over it. and it was safer to put it down. A person just does not know when even a pet can just get violent. I know people that have pits AND they are not the local druggys. They ay how nice they are but then tell me how protective they are. That means nice to them but a friend maybe not so nice if the dog thinks it is protecting you. But yes other dogs even small ones can get mean at times. i think its best for small children not to be put around dogs that can harm or kill them in just one good bite. To many children have been the victom of a pit bull dog And are dead or maimed disfigured for life. And home owner insurance companys do not or will charge an extra high fee to cover dogs considered vicious. Is the dog worth one child being hurt i think the pit could be down sized to reduce its power and improve it temporment. Its my understanding Now i was told this so I might be wrong but the pug was once used as a large breed dog to hunt tigers And when it was used less they down sized it kept the pug look as they did so it could be a dog that could be handled safely as it had a violent attitude. And was large. Like I said I just told this So it may or may not be correct. But It is a truth in genatic breeding that it can be done.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While a fair number of people have been hurt by pit bulls, the statistics are not clear - because many dog-bite cases do not list breed unless it is a pit bull. When I got my dog from the Dumb Friends' League, they told me first that he was a Chow Chow mix, and then that he was a German Shepherd mix... when I told his vet, the vet told me that the Dumb Friends' League labels 80% of the dogs they can't clearly identify by breed as one of those two, because they are the most likely to bite, and they don't want people coming back later to return the dog because they weren't warned.

Any dog can be mistreated, badly bred, or startled into aggressive behavior - it may be easier or harder with some dogs, but it can be done - just as it can be done with people. Here are some sites that will provide additional information about pit bull breeds. NOTE: pit bull is a generic term for several breeds of terrier, the American Pit Bull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier being the most common.

Also remember that the media needs to create sensations so that people will purchase/watch their news coverage, and thus be exposed to their advertising - and "man bitten by chihuahuas" just doesn't have the same ring to it. Here is a link with some data about dog bites by breed: http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL/OtherBreedBites/AllDogsBite.htm

And about some of the terrier breeds that fall into the 'pit bull' category
http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/
http://www.understand-a-bull.com/
http://www.apbtconformation.com/
http://www.ukcdogs.com/RegUKCBreeds.htm - look under "Terriers" for American Pit Bull Terrier
http://www.akc.org/breeds/american_staffordshire_terrier/index.cfm

From the American Kennel Club, at http://www.akc.org/breeds/staffordshire_bull_terrier/index.cfm
Temperament
From the past history of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the modern dog draws its character of indomitable courage, high intelligence, and tenacity. This, coupled with its affection for its friends, and children in particular, its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, makes it a foremost all-purpose dog.

It is easy to blame the deed - harder to blame the person who raised the dog, but the latter is where the true blame lies in the vast majority of cases.

Latest Discussions