Pilot posting security breaches on Youtube

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think we've all heard the story by now. A pilot took video of major security gaps and posted it on Youtube in the venerated whistle-blowing tradition. Not surprisingly he's caught all kinds of crap for it.

I tried to find the original video, but I've only come across news stories about it. Would anyone have a link to the original? I'd love to see it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do believe he had to take it down or Youtube yanked it by now.

OP
Flea

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's what I thought. Bummer.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't really pay attention when they showed clips on the news, It was something like no scans for the carts that go on the planes, or was it cards of the crew...

considering the cargo that flies with your luggage isn't scanned either...and that was on a TV show 'a week at' I think it was American Airlines...

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
[FONT=Courier New, monospace]As far as the videos which the pilot shot, they are considered “Sensitive Security Information” which means they are not meant for public viewing. [/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]The pilot removed the videos from Youtube. He was a Federal Flight Deck Officer (FFDO) and was licensed to carry a weapon on commercial planes; he has since resigned from that program. [/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]The scene in which he shows employees scanning in with a badge and going into a door was later reported to be a door to the employee lunch room. “"A recent YouTube video, posted by a U.S. airline pilot, presents false and misleading information on SFO's security program," the airport said in a statement. "The video shows a door with a card swipe and suggests that access is gained to the airfield area through this door. In fact, the door shown in the video provides access only to an employee lunchroom."”[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]To clear up some mis-statements... [/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]100% of all air cargo transported via commercial passenger airlines originating in the U.S. is supposed to be scanned. [/FONT]

“[FONT=Courier New, monospace]The 2007 law in the United States called for 50 percent of air cargo on passenger aircraft to be screened by February 2009, and 100 percent by August 2010. The Act defines screening as "a physical examination, or non-intrusive method of assessing whether cargo poses a threat to national security," it specifies methods that "include x-ray systems, explosives trace detection, explosive detection canine teams certified by the TSA, or physical search together with manifest verification".”[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Also,”... Section 1701 of the Implementing of the 9/11 Commission Recommendation Act of 2007 calls for all containers bound for the US to first be scanned at foreign ports before being loaded onto the vessel. The requirement is to take effect in five years' time, that is, by 1 July 2012.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Are these pieces of law being followed? Probably not. [/FONT]

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it is a lunchroom, is it possible there is another door to the lunchroom that leads to other restricted areas? This way the the pilot can be discredited with "technically" true statements.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Screeners continue to regularly miss loaded handguns, knives and other weapons in carryons despite xraying and physical searches.

DHS reports indicate that screeners fail upwards of 70% of the time to fine test items.

Less than 50% of cargo and checked items are being scanned, despite laws ordering 100% search.

Getting into the sterile areas in many airports still require little more than a swipe card and a uniform. Passengers, pilots and airplane staff undergo more invasive screening than TSA, baggage handlers and airport staff.

Loading a bomb on a plane is a simple matter of tossing a dufflebag over a fence at a predetermined time at many airports.

Since 2001, no additional US planes have been hijacked. This is considered a win by the TSA. Since 2001, no additional terrorists have been caught by the TSA, however thousands of deadly nail files and sippy cups have been intercepted. This is considered a win by the TSA.

Latest Discussions