On "Confronting" Burglars...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why 'confronting' a burglar during a robbery, even if armed, might not be the wisest choice.

http://online.wsj.com/article/APa0d3106bbed049bb9ab198ac74fc85a8.html

FLEMING, N.Y. — Authorities say a central New York man suffered a bullet wound to his leg after being shot with his own gun during a struggle with an intruder inside his Finger Lakes home.
Cayuga County sheriff's deputies say a man entered Jason Holtby's home in Fleming through an unlocked door around 9:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Deputies say the 36-year-old Holtby grabbed a .22-caliber rifle and confronted the intruder.

It should have read, "Holby grabbed a .22-caliber rifle and shot the intruder until he was no longer a threat." My opinion. A gun used to 'confront' someone is a stick. And worse, if they take it from you, it's a gun again. They won't hesitate to kill you.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A few years ago my in laws, who live 3 hours away, for some reason listed our home number as an emergency contact if their alarm system was tripped (despite there being several people in their hometown they could have listed). So theyr'e on vacation in Europe when we get a call from the alarm company that something set their alarm off. What exactly were we supposed to do about it--rush right over and confront the burglar?:rolleyes:

I never could understand why the police weren't contacted instead.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few years ago my in laws, who live 3 hours away, for some reason listed our home number as an emergency contact if their alarm system was tripped (despite there being several people in their hometown they could have listed). So theyr'e on vacation in Europe when we get a call from the alarm company that something set their alarm off. What exactly were we supposed to do about it--rush right over and confront the burglar?:rolleyes:

Because some areas charge a separate fee for this sort of service, or if there are too many false alarms. Many alarm companies at least offer the option of using a point of contact rather than calling the PD.

Or... they do both...

And then there are the alarm companies that can't be bothered to get jurisdictions straight... Several years back, after the fourth or fifth time that the alarm company called our POLICE department about the FIRE alarm at a residence a little distance out of town, I got dispatched. Yeah, there WAS a fire. Good thing we didn't just leave it as "not our jurisdiction and not our business..." (We've got a deal with the fire department: they won't hose down our suspects and we don't handcuff their fires.)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

You were listed as a keyholder. The alarm companies usually request a list of names, so that after the PD is notified and responds, the keyholder can also go. Of course, they should not go in, but instead wait for the officers to arrive, let them in, so they can check the house.

This happens on a daily basis where I work.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why 'confronting' a burglar during a robbery, even if armed, might not be the wisest choice.

http://online.wsj.com/article/APa0d3106bbed049bb9ab198ac74fc85a8.html

It should have read, "Holby grabbed a .22-caliber rifle and shot the intruder until he was no longer a threat." My opinion. A gun used to 'confront' someone is a stick. And worse, if they take it from you, it's a gun again. They won't hesitate to kill you.

Agreed. I mean, if you're going to grab a weapon, especially a gun, may as well use it. I mean really....if someone is dumb enough to advance on someone with a gun, and given the fact that anyone breaking into a house can't possibly have good intentions, I'd say the home owner is well within their rights to shoot.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreed. I mean, if you're going to grab a weapon, especially a gun, may as well use it. I mean really....if someone is dumb enough to advance on someone with a gun, and given the fact that anyone breaking into a house can't possibly have good intentions, I'd say the home owner is well within their rights to shoot.

Well, my point was this - a gun is not a magic wand. That is, you don't wave it in the air and everything gets better. Too many people, IMHO, think that it is.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, my point was this - a gun is not a magic wand. That is, you don't wave it in the air and everything gets better. Too many people, IMHO, think that it is.

Agreed, and sorry if my post implied otherwise. :)

Latest Discussions