Penn Jillette...Libertarian magician...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a long piece on Penn Jillete, one half of Penn and Teller and a political Libertarian...

http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/06/penn-jillette-is-a-nutty-fing-peacenik-who-wants-the-government-off-your-back/

“A lot of people make this argument that the free market will do everything right,” he explains.

“I have no evidence for that. I don’t believe that. I have no evidence that libertarianism leads to a better life. I just think it is morally right. My position is I can’t find a way that anything should be done by force that I wouldn’t do by force myself.”

So what does Jillette think is the proper role of government?

“I think defense, police, courts,” he said. “I can’t quite — and people are working on me and they might win — I don’t quite think I can feel good about private police.”
But he isn’t entirely confident of his own position, saying that there are moments he wonders whether there might actually be good reason for a safety net.

“Sometimes when people say, ‘Shouldn’t there be a cradle to grave safety net and shouldn’t that be done,’ I kind of go, ‘You know, maybe,’” he said.
“I do worry that I’m wrong on that and I worry that I’m wrong on it on both sides. I also worry the anarcho-capitalist people [when] they make their arguments and I kind of go, ‘Geez, that could be right.’”

Latest Discussions