Paying For First Class?

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am curious how many people have been a member or regular to a gym that makes you pay for the first class? How common is this. I've honestly only seen one now that a friend is curious about joining. It is a Krav Maga gym if that makes a difference? Shouldn't. But idk. This seems really uncommon and makes me leery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why would you expect to get any service from a professional that makes a living doing what they do for free?

Some sort of trial period? Sure, but industry trend is moving away from free trial to low cost trials

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen both and there is no direct meaning. Perhaps they can (enough people anyway) or they need (rent to pay...)... First time I also found it strange and 'bad', but finally it is no big deal, is it?
What would be strange was made you pay a month just for trying.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The title was a bit confusing, I thought it was saying people pay for first class training as opposed to second or even third class. :D

Why shouldn't you pay for your first class? The costs are still there for the instructor, you are paying for what they know, not what you don't know.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The title was a bit confusing, I thought it was saying people pay for first class training as opposed to second or even third class. :D

Why shouldn't you pay for your first class? The costs are still there for the instructor, you are paying for what they know, not what you don't know.
On the other hand, a test drive is usually free.

'Free' may attract people that may become whilling to pay 2nd and 3th classes... Especially where free trial is the norm. If you are the only one asking for money for the first class, perhaps I will try the other first. And never finish the tour... :)

It is just an option with pros and cons, regardless you choice (free trial or not).

In the UK I don't care about that (~£5/class). In France (Paris) the cost is potentially more substantial, but also the norm I think (and then you pay full year in advance). In Portugal probably you can get more than one for free (or no one will try :) ).

Last edited:

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some places you do some you don't. Some instructiord won't do it because it'll just get a bunch of people turning up for one lesson because its free and never come back so they waste his time. Why should you get your first class it's a business at the end of the day. There's plenty of places that don't do that if you don't want to pay for one class then obviously you don't want to do it

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, cars are more expensive than martial arts lessons and you only buy the one at a time usually not one a couple of times a week.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

'Free' may attract people that may become whilling to pay 2nd and 3th classes... Especially where free trial is the norm. If you are the only one asking for money for the first class, perhaps I will try the other first. And never finish the tour... :)

It is just an option with pros and cons, regardless you choice (free trial or not).

In the UK I don't care about that (~£5/class). In France (Paris) the cost is potentially more substantial, but also the norm I think (and then you pay full year in advance). In Portugal probably you can get more than one for free (or no one will try :) ).
Us a test drive is free because you drive for a certain amount of time then give the car back but with martial arts you do one class you have that lesson and those skills and moves you learnt in that lesson for the rest of your life if you always practice them

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, go and ask for money in Portugal. Your arguments will be useless. As mine is for you (test drive...). ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, go and ask for money in Portugal. Your arguments will be useless. As mine is for you (test drive...). ;)

The OP is in Florida so probably the only answers that are relevant to them are ones from the US anyway.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The OP is in Florida so probably the only answers that are relevant to them are ones from the US anyway.
I don't know about Florida but, in my opinion, it is no big deal since they don't ask for too much money. (And I only have examples of too much money in €€).

Then I was trying to say that it can tell more about places than clubs. If it is the common practice in Florida, why worry about that? (OP says it is not.) If it is not so common and costs a few $$, why worry about that? It will support a decision, whatever it is (good investment) and one will spend much more if continues there (no big deal one class more).

I am neutral. But there are always two sides...

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Test drives are usually free, but in the end it is their business and they will run it how they see fit. At my old wing chun school, the Sifu would let people WATCH for free but not participate. If they had any questions and wanted a demo, he would pul one of us from class to demonstrate on.

OP
S

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why would you expect to get any service from a professional that makes a living doing what they do for free?

Some sort of trial period? Sure, but industry trend is moving away from free trial to low cost trials

Because I have no idea if it is a trained professional or ya know...

8758dc2533e0b22ce05b1fab8c68c64d.jpg

OP
S

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Us a test drive is free because you drive for a certain amount of time then give the car back but with martial arts you do one class you have that lesson and those skills and moves you learnt in that lesson for the rest of your life if you always practice them

Some places you do some you don't. Some instructiord won't do it because it'll just get a bunch of people turning up for one lesson because its free and never come back so they waste his time. Why should you get your first class it's a business at the end of the day. There's plenty of places that don't do that if you don't want to pay for one class then obviously you don't want to do it

There is my problem. You don't become an expert in 1 class. In 1 class...you learn exactly nothing useful. You won't be pulling off even the most basic of concepts in 1 class. I just don't trust a system that is about money. I get what you are saying, but it just seems a little...idk what the right word is. But I have an example.

Ever get an estimate on your car done? Ever see the words "shop supplies." In the auto industry...that means "shop towels/soap." Basically. Things that are the cost of doing business that you shouldn't pay for because it is something you should expect running the business. If you are gonna build the cost in...it shouldn't be its own line item.

The only reason I can see this being the case is because you have a lot of students and the newbie takes more time to teach. Like you can only fill a certain number of slots. :)

Last edited:
OP
S

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score

lol. Well the friend who is taking classes is in Ohio. I've already found my gym. I am just wondering how common this practice is.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't trust a system that is about money.

This only happens in martial arts lol, if it were dance, horse riding, ice skating etc etc professional coaching is something that is not only accepted but normal. If you are being coached by a professional martial arts instructor why would that be wrong? It's a good way to earn a living and as long as the coaching was of a good standard why would it be considered less than an amateur instructor? Why do so many people have a hang up about paying for martial arts? Standards aren't higher because the instructor doesn't do it for money, they vary a lot.

OP
S

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This only happens in martial arts lol, if it were dance, horse riding, ice skating etc etc professional coaching is something that is not only accepted but normal. If you are being coached by a professional martial arts instructor why would that be wrong? It's a good way to earn a living and as long as the coaching was of a good standard why would it be considered less than an amateur instructor? Why do so many people have a hang up about paying for martial arts? Standards aren't higher because the instructor doesn't do it for money, they vary a lot.

The "Ameridojo" factor man. I have no problem paying. Just a problem paying for a bad product. :)

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is my problem. You don't become an expert in 1 class. In 1 class...you learn exactly nothing useful. You won't be pulling off even the most basic of concepts in 1 class. I just don't trust a system that is about money.
Agree that we don't learn very much in one class. Using the same analogy (quite dangerous)... it is like receiving a screw when you want a car. :D

On the other hand, it is ALL about money. Perhaps some people just want to pay the (current) expenses, but it is also ok trying to pay years and years of training (sometimes around the World) or, eventually, living on that.

At the end, I prefer to pay for quality since class 1 (or do not train in a club at all), rather than wasting time (and losing skill from bad training conditions) for free/low cost...
(But I am fortunate to have good quality at 'low cost'. And free first class. :) )

Latest Discussions