Paul Chen Bushido Katana

M

MisterMike

I was looking at purchasing a katana and was wondering if anyone had owned/handled the Paul Chen Bushido Katana. (Or any of their folded blade series)

Thanks!

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I had purchased one of his Tai Chi swords as a gift for a friend of mine, and it was a very nice sword. The blade was nice and sharp, and the sword had a nice balance to it.

OP
W

WhiteTiger

About 3 years ago Paul Chen had a limited edition release of a competition grade katana, it was a reproduction of the sword carried by a Shogun. I took the opportunity to order one. I was not disappointed the value was exceptional. Highly decorative yet practical. I have since had some instruction on how to use such a weapon, and have used it to cut the rolled bambo mats, like they do in cutting competitions. This thing would absolutely ruin somebodys day. I wish I could afford to put a professional polish on it, but $100 per inch of blade the price is a little steep.

OP
K

Kempo Guy

If you are looking at ordering a Paul Chen katana, I'd recommend buying them from Bugei trading. They have a great reputation and have tested all models of their swords (ie tameshigiri) in order to insure the highest quality.

KG

OP
M

MisterMike

I found a detailed article on some website comparing the Practical Katana and the Golden Oriole by Paul Chen to Kris Cutlery.

http://swordforum.com/fall99/lineup-6.html

They all seem fit for Iaido but there were pluses/minuses on how they stood up to real cutting.

OP
W

WhiteTiger

Originally posted by MisterMike
I found a detailed article on some website comparing the Practical Katana and the Golden Oriole by Paul Chen to Kris Cutlery.

http://swordforum.com/fall99/lineup-6.html

They all seem fit for Iaido but there were pluses/minuses on how they stood up to real cutting.

I am familiar with this article, niether of these blades are the one I bought, as a limited edition only 1000 were made and they must all be gone by now. After reading you initial post I tried to find it again but no luck.

Latest Discussions