Part-time Work Still Relevant Today?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18720023

This article I think brings up quite an interesting topic.

For me, when I was young, it was expected that if I wanted to have some money then I ws going to work for it. So I did a milk round in the morning, a paper round at night and ran a market stall at the weekends. I think that I learned a lot that helped me in the adult work-place later on. If nothing else it taught me something about managing expectations and dealing with minor adversities in order to achieve goals - delivering milk at six in the morning in the snow was not fun but if I wanted the money to buy a pocket calculator or a new bicycle then that was the 'trade' I had to make.

If young people are not going through this transitional period between being 'kept' and 'independent', are they losing out on things that will help them cope when their lives are not the wealth festooned bed of roses they think they're entitled to?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I started on a paper route at 12, went into fast food at 15, and went into retail at 17. I can't imagine jumping into a professional workplace with no work skills to begin with.

Last year I spoke with a very impressive woman who runs a non-profit organization designed to teach inner city kids work skills by putting them to work on revitalizing parks and open areas in their community. One of the things that she said is that many of them have never learned the necessary skill sets to do will in a job, simply because they have never had the opportunity. The need for a good appearance or to be on time or accountability on deadlines or communication skills or the one that really stuck with me; "the skill at looking like you are working even if you aren't." I never thought of it that way, but I understand what she was saying.

Those kid-delivered paper routes are largely gone now, replaced by electronic media or adults with vehicles. But there are other opportunities, there always will. But when my sons get old enough, I certainly want them working at something from an early age.

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I started working construction/electrical with my dad at 9. When I turned 16 I started my first "real" job at a fast food joint, an because of the skills and work ethic my dad taught me I made manager in 6 months. Everything my dad taught me has served me well in every job I have had and do not know what life would be like if I didn't have that training and opportunity!

Latest Discussions