Owwwwwieeeee

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, tonight was my first time sparring and I have to admit, I had a blast. I was the only white belt and I was sparring against 2 blue belts a red belt and a black belt.My instructor said I did really well for my first time however, there were a couple of issues.

First, I went to do a turning side kick to the ribs and my opponent blocked me with his elbow right above my ankle where I have no protection. Now, my ankle is swollen and have promotion on Sat.. YIPPPIIEE.

Ok, enough ranting. I just want to know what can I do to gain speed? I am quick with my blocks but my kicks are slow.

Also, what are the best exercises to gain endurance that will be useful for sparring?

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats on your first sparring experience! Its always a blast, not only your first time but many to come. Sorry to hear about your ankle, sounds like your opponant doesn't have sparring control yet, but it will come. Remember when your sparring in class or in a tournament block with your hands or fore arms, no one likes an elbow. I'll tell you the number one exercise for speed...................straight up training! It takes time to develop speed, and endurance. Don't try and speed it up, just do the exercises your instructor tells you to do and you'll be fine, practice, practice, practice. Remember Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect, and no one practices perfect! Go to as many classes as you can, but don't burn yourself out. Ive seen hundreds of students over the years train hard everyday 5 days a week 2 hours a day and never make it past green belt!

OP
mcleod13

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Congrats on your first sparring experience! Its always a blast, not only your first time but many to come. Sorry to hear about your ankle, sounds like your opponant doesn't have sparring control yet, but it will come. Remember when your sparring in class or in a tournament block with your hands or fore arms, no one likes an elbow. I'll tell you the number one exercise for speed...................straight up training! It takes time to develop speed, and endurance. Don't try and speed it up, just do the exercises your instructor tells you to do and you'll be fine, practice, practice, practice. Remember Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect, and no one practices perfect! Go to as many classes as you can, but don't burn yourself out. Ive seen hundreds of students over the years train hard everyday 5 days a week 2 hours a day and never make it past green belt!

Thanks. It was alot of fun and can't wait until the next time.
The guy that did it was a 2nd. He was really fast and got me a couple times. Once, right in the gut and took my air for a couple minutes. We were wearing hand and feet pads but not chest pads. I love training and usually go about 3-4 times a week for an hour.

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nothing against your school or you, but I would suggest at white belt you always wear chest protection, for extreme saftey reasons. I had someone come into my dojo years ago talking and talking and talking how he was a black belt, blah blah blah, Finally I had him sign a waiver and we sparred. Needless to say I broke six of his ribs right through the chest protector. I suggest everyone up to atleast black belt wear a chest protector, but thats just me...
icon6.gif

OP
mcleod13

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nothing against your school or you, but I would suggest at white belt you always wear chest protection, for extreme saftey reasons. I had someone come into my dojo years ago talking and talking and talking how he was a black belt, blah blah blah, Finally I had him sign a waiver and we sparred. Needless to say I broke six of his ribs right through the chest protector. I suggest everyone up to atleast black belt wear a chest protector, but thats just me...
icon6.gif

Well, it was supposed to be light contact. However, i am going to wear it from now on. I don't need any broken ribs.

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nothing against your school or you, but I would suggest at white belt you always wear chest protection, for extreme saftey reasons.
TKD Times said:
For example, who is the most dangerous person on the sparring floor? The white belt. Why? Because that person, without meaning to be, has little or no control and the seemingly random attacks are harder to predict, thus making them difficult to defend against.
An Arguement for Reality-Based Training, p.48, Nov. 2008
I thought this was a very accurate quote, and your comment reminded me of it, YounWhaMann.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

My first (no contact) sparring attempt ended with this comment from my sabum nim: "You know what you're biggest problem is? You're too nice!" Yeah, he nailed that one on the head. :D

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, tonight was my first time sparring and I have to admit, I had a blast. I was the only white belt and I was sparring against 2 blue belts a red belt and a black belt.My instructor said I did really well for my first time however, there were a couple of issues.

First, I went to do a turning side kick to the ribs and my opponent blocked me with his elbow right above my ankle where I have no protection. Now, my ankle is swollen and have promotion on Sat.. YIPPPIIEE.

Ok, enough ranting. I just want to know what can I do to gain speed? I am quick with my blocks but my kicks are slow.

Also, what are the best exercises to gain endurance that will be useful for sparring?

I'd wear some shin guards.. if your not already. Be safe.
As far as developing speed.. Practice makes perfect. Spar, Spar, Spar.
When you can't spar. Run, and practice your footwork. Footwork is half the battle. Stay on your toes, and pace yourself. You don't nessecarily need to be fast. You should need to know when to react. People come in all shapes and sizes. You can gain speed by exercising and practicing your combinations, but I'd work on when to react vs. how fast you react.

OP
mcleod13

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You could use some ankle weights to help with your speed. Take them off before sparring and tournaments.

That is a good piece of advice. THank you. I will get some soon. Thank you!

LMAO!! I can't help but laugh at the last part of that advice.. I am a big believer in the fact that some of the most obvious advice and warnings come from the fact that someone has tried to do it before. So I will assume that someone has tried to wear them sparring or in a tournament.

OP
mcleod13

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'd wear some shin guards.. if your not already. Be safe.
As far as developing speed.. Practice makes perfect. Spar, Spar, Spar.
When you can't spar. Run, and practice your footwork. Footwork is half the battle. Stay on your toes, and pace yourself. You don't nessecarily need to be fast. You should need to know when to react. People come in all shapes and sizes. You can gain speed by exercising and practicing your combinations, but I'd work on when to react vs. how fast you react.

I was wearing Adidas shin guards. I got caught right between where the shin guard and foot piece meet. Now, my whole ankle is swollen and sore. I am more worried about my promotion tomorrow. I don't know how I will last 2 hours on it.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

Just wait until you catch his elbow with your toe. whooee! That hurts. You eventually learn not to do that. ;)

Best thing for gaining speed and endurance is just to keep sparring. Try to add some dynamic cardio work into your schedule if you can, that will help your general endurance. Speed will come, but you will also learn tactics which will not require you to rely solely on speed - feints, combinations. It's harder for your opponent to block a kick if he is responding to a punch.
icon10.gif

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

Don't worry about speed; worry about "timing." Be tricky. Make them think you are going to do something other than what you are really going to do.

For what its worth, speed will come in time. It is more important right now for you to work on correct movement. Trying to be speedy now (before your movements are well trained and correct) is not a good idea.

And timing will still be there for you (giving the illusion of speed!) LONG after your "speed" is gone (from aging).

SPAR ... a lot :)

Don't forget to relax and BREATHE — you won't wear out so fast. ( I know.. it's hard to relax and breathe when people are punching and kicking you ;))

OP
mcleod13

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I will train...alot... I guess the main part of my post was inquiring if there are certain drills I can do to maximize my potential.

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
ah ankle weights, not advised. wear them while walking, fine. wear them while kicking, or even jogging, no.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ankle weights can be bad on the knees, as it adds weight to your extended leg...

Something that I find useful are the resistance bands that you should be able to buy from most exercise stores. You should hook one end to something stationary, and the other end to your ankle...stand far enough away that the band has tension just standing there, and then perform kicks away from the stationary object the band is tied to.

This helps with speed, muscle endurance, leg strength, balance, and flexibility.

MasterWright

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That is a good piece of advice. THank you. I will get some soon. Thank you!

LMAO!! I can't help but laugh at the last part of that advice.. I am a big believer in the fact that some of the most obvious advice and warnings come from the fact that someone has tried to do it before. So I will assume that someone has tried to wear them sparring or in a tournament.
That's right Mcleod, We couldn't believe it. Actually they slid across the ring and when the reff picked it up he slapped the back of his helmet, jokingly. We just about p.....d ourselves laughing.

Latest Discussions