Ouchi Gari and "front punch"

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Anyone who has ever done karate has learned the basic technique for front punch to the middle. And I'm sure every beginning student has asked what it was used for. Some teachers say that this motion shows how to punch. They are right. Some teachers say that it is to teach how to develop power. They are right. And some teachers say that it may be a punch and it may be something else. They, too, are right.

Here is something else it could be...

Ouchi Gari

Think about that as you practice your hyung. Especially the very basic Gicho hyungs....

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
It just goes to show that all of the basic hand techniques can be used as an attack, block, or throw of some sort. By the way, how do you make a signature at the bottom of your post?

Ian

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Basically the human body only moves in some many ways, when you learn to make your movements "structurally sound" it does carry into other things, but truthfully, I think this is reaching a little ;)

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Basically the human body only moves in some many ways, when you learn to make your movements "structurally sound" it does carry into other things, but truthfully, I think this is reaching a little ;)

It all depends on how you want to look at it. The stepping forward, lunging punch, can be only that (never mind the fact that no body punches that way). Or, you could start in the referees position, hook the inner leg, and perform the technique.

I think that many of these techniques ended up being something they were never intended to be.

soul_sword34

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Try reading up. I suggest "Barefoot Zen". Very informative and suggests the long forgotten origins of modern karate etc. came from the grappling arts of budhists. Interesting read anyways. Look at the double knife hand block of Taekwondo, very easily translated as a throw and others as locks. I for one don't believe most of the Bunkai that most teach today.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The wonderful thing about karate is that we can take a finite number of techniques and motions and apply them to such a wide variety of situations that it truly can become a lifetime study.

For the signature, go to your "User CP" option on the blue menu and select "Edit Signature"

soul_sword34

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
IMP said:
Sorry, thought you were new here.

Welcome soul_sword34!

Ian

Thanks IMP. Yes Bunkai is very interesting. I can't believe some of the crap I've heard about the bunkai in forms. For example a 3rd degree once told me the entire Won Hyo form is actually meant to be used with a staff, I asked him to demonstrate and of course I got the later thing. Sometimes it is obviously rediculous sometimes enlightening. Like the time one of my instructors pointed out Dim Mak in an old Okinawan form, something that Funakoshi never taught but was still there. Oh my! Now I'm going to go read my "Bubishi" again.

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
soul_sword34 said:
Thanks IMP. Yes Bunkai is very interesting. I can't believe some of the crap I've heard about the bunkai in forms. For example a 3rd degree once told me the entire Won Hyo form is actually meant to be used with a staff, I asked him to demonstrate and of course I got the later thing. Sometimes it is obviously rediculous sometimes enlightening. Like the time one of my instructors pointed out Dim Mak in an old Okinawan form, something that Funakoshi never taught but was still there. Oh my! Now I'm going to go read my "Bubishi" again.

Makes sense, but I want to know, what is Dim Mak? Is it from a different art than TSD?:asian:

Ian

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
soul_sword34 said:

It sounds like your on the right path in regards to bunkai. Alot of stuff gets made up because the proper environment to actually test the theories is lacking. Kata were originally created by people who tested what they knew in real fights. If stuff cannot be applied in that arena, then it isn't bunkai, IMHO.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMP said:
Makes sense, but I want to know, what is Dim Mak? Is it from a different art than TSD?:asian:

Ian

Ian, Dim Mak is the art of striking deadly points on your opponents body. This is a chinese art that I believe is probably extinct, but who knows for sure. Our strike points (kyusho) are somewhat similar to what I know about Dim Mak (which isn't much), but I believe our usage is much more simple and practical.

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Ian, Dim Mak is the art of striking deadly points on your opponents body. This is a chinese art that I believe is probably extinct, but who knows for sure. Our strike points (kyusho) are somewhat similar to what I know about Dim Mak (which isn't much), but I believe our usage is much more simple and practical.

It sounds like you're saying Dim Mak is its own martial art...?? If that's true, why is it just strike points?

Ian

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:

What do you mean by extinct?

Ian