Organic food not healthier...not a surprise.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, saw this one coming a long time ago. Organic food is up there with wind and solar energy and many other fairy tales for those who want to feel superior to the rest of humanity...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57505328/organic-food-hardly-healthier-study-suggests/

(AP) WASHINGTON - Patient after patient asked: Is eating organic food, which
costs more, really better for me?

Unsure, Stanford University doctors dug through reams of research to find out
- and concluded there's little evidence that going organic is much healthier,
citing only a few differences involving pesticides and antibiotics.

Eating organic fruits and vegetables can lower exposure to pesticides,
including for children - but the amount measured from conventionally grown
produce was within safety limits, the researchers reported Monday.

Nor did the organic foods prove more nutritious.

"I was absolutely surprised," said Dr. Dena Bravata, a senior research
affiliate at Stanford and long-time internist who began the analysis because so
many of her patients asked if they should switch.

"There are many reasons why someone might choose organic foods over
conventional foods," from environmental concerns to taste preferences, Bravata
stressed. But when it comes to individual health, "there isn't much difference."

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, saw this one coming a long time ago. Organic food is up there with wind and solar energy and many other fairy tales for those who want to feel superior to the rest of humanity...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57505328/organic-food-hardly-healthier-study-suggests/

LOL, leave it to billie to give it this spin...

No, the produce is no more nutritional than conventionally grown foods.

but:
it uses less chemicals, which is good.
Due to the lack of chemicals integrated pest control has to be provided, that means is richer in diverse species
and it provides a nice niche market for small farms on the urban fringe.

On the down side, 'bio' and 'organic' has become a marketing tool:
Cage free chicken does not mean all out in the open (aside from the fact that chickens are pretty nasty birds...)
and it really defeats the purpose when the organic produce has to be flown in from Mexico for the consumer's year round pleasure.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't think I'd put solar and wind turbines in the same category. Plenty of towns through rural third world countries using solar and wind.

Organic in my opinion is like buying apple products, paying more for something you already had at a cheaper price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't think I'd put solar and wind turbines in the same category. Plenty of towns through rural third world countries using solar and wind.

Organic in my opinion is like buying apple products, paying more for something you already had at a cheaper price.

In many cases, yes.
Especially when you truck the stuff halfway across the world, it does defeat the purpose.

There have been small communities who successfully converted farm manure into methane gas to power the town.
I mean, they used to do that with sewage...they called it city gas then...

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL, leave it to billie to give it this spin...

No, the produce is no more nutritional than conventionally grown foods.

but:
it uses less chemicals, which is good.
Due to the lack of chemicals integrated pest control has to be provided, that means is richer in diverse species
and it provides a nice niche market for small farms on the urban fringe.

On the down side, 'bio' and 'organic' has become a marketing tool:
Cage free chicken does not mean all out in the open (aside from the fact that chickens are pretty nasty birds...)
and it really defeats the purpose when the organic produce has to be flown in from Mexico for the consumer's year round pleasure.

Thank you.................

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Everything from my small hobby farm is better than the equivalent produce-"organic," or ( :lfao: ) "non-organic?" (I know they call it "conventional," but the concept cracks me up: "non-organic" fruits and vegetables :lfao: ) from a store, and that's a scientific fact. :lfao:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Everything from my small hobby farm is better than the equivalent produce-"organic," or ( :lfao: ) "non-organic?" (I know they call it "conventional," but the concept cracks me up: "non-organic" fruits and vegetables :lfao: ) from a store, and that's a scientific fact. :lfao:

LOL, yeah, considering that 'organic' chemistry includes everything that contains a single carbon atom somewhere....:lol:

I am a farm girl and a tree hugger...
but even I have to laugh at some of the marketing ploys.

But I also live in a city victimized by Monsanto...less chemicals is much better! And less Monsanto is even more better!

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the taste of home grown veges.

There are farmers on my wife's side of the family and they find it all hilarious. They talk about how the "natural" pesticides that they claim to use is why they brought in safer synthetic pesticides.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love the taste of home grown veges.

There are farmers on my wife's side of the family and they find it all hilarious. They talk about how the "natural" pesticides that they claim to use is why they brought in safer synthetic pesticides.

Yep, some of the 'organic' stuff is outright scary!

Oh, and then there are those who believe that 'organic' means the cows never have to see a vet...de-wormer is not evil...seriously...

City folk!

But the fact is:
Due to chemistry we are now able to feed a lot more people with a lot less land than ever before.
And not to mention that the pesticides are pretty dang expensive so farmers tend not to overuse them...or fertilizers.
Another fact: The plant does not know or care where the nitrogen is coming from, as long as the soil pH is right (but it is better for the soil when the nutrients come from 'organic' matter)

I can't decide whether to cringe or laugh when my neighbors burn grass clippings and their raked leaves...that spot in the ditch needs no more nutrients...but the dirt on our hill is horrid...you need all the help you can get to grow weeds...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Total BS. If I eat a peach that hasn't been sprayed with poison, I have no chance of eating poison. Welcome to Monsanto Science!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Obviously because their birds are smart enough not to fly into the turbine blades...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Total BS. If I eat a peach that hasn't been sprayed with poison, I have no chance of eating poison. Welcome to Monsanto Science!

I wish it was that easy.

(Monsanto is the devil incarnate tho...)

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously because their birds are smart enough not to fly into the turbine blades...

I've heard of this, can't remember where the wind farm is, but remember seeing articles about them being attracted to the blades or some thing. lol

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Does that mean my crunch berries are less healthy cause they
Are not organic? I get my minerals from fruity pebbles. :uhyeah:

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well several years ago our FDA cracked down on advertising related to many organic products people were being charged for but infact were not actually organically grown that would surely figure into data. Also I would like to know the facts on the report that compared to over 40 years ago when much of our fruits and vegatables were raised on private farms compared to the majority now corporate large genetically cloned food has 30% of the original food value compared to the past. A simple test hot house strawberries raised in winter conpared to feild rippend private owned strawberries in season you can taste the difference.

Latest Discussions