Oreo Cookies...

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
PatMunk said:
Around here probably 60 to 75 percent of the students live in apartments and their parents don't pay anything towards school taxes. Everyone should help pay for the schools not just those who own property.

Falacy.

Some entity owns the 'apartments'. The owners of those apartments have to pay property tax on their real estate. The costs of that property tax is rolled into the apartment rent. That the property tax is not broken out on the renters monthly check does not mean it is not being paid.

Using this logic, renters are also not paying for police protection, or fire protection. As a former police officer, does that seem to make sense to you?

If you know some way the owners of apartment complexes avoid property tax, I would be interested in hearing it.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Falacy.

Some entity owns the 'apartments'. The owners of those apartments have to pay property tax on their real estate. The costs of that property tax is rolled into the apartment rent. That the property tax is not broken out on the renters monthly check does not mean it is not being paid.

Using this logic, renters are also not paying for police protection, or fire protection. As a former police officer, does that seem to make sense to you?

If you know some way the owners of apartment complexes avoid property tax, I would be interested in hearing it.

Yes, I agree that the company or individual(s) who own the property still pay taxes.

Now, in some renaissance zones there are no taxes for Federal Income for a couple of years after start up and also the same may go for State, but they still pay property/local taxes.

I do have a question for you ME. In our state, and I understand it is different per state or local, if you live in an apartment or townhouse renting location the police can not issue tickets and they also can take action unless they are called directly by the management or see a crime in progress. Is this true in your area? Just curious.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rich Parsons, you may have mis-read a sentence above.

I am not a former police officer. PatMunk's profile lists his profession as 'retired police officer', so my statement was more a question to him, based on his experiences as a cop.

What you describe seems odd for a regular apartment. Although, it does not seem out-of-the-realm-of-possibilities for some 'Gated Communities'. I think some Gated Communities may function very much like private clubs. But, really, I have no experience in that.

Philosophically, I am opposed to Gated Communities. I am opposed to 'Active Adult Communitie (housing restricted to 55+ year old, no children). Voluntary segregation is an idea that is detrimental to our society, and should be persued only in the most dire of requirments.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I own a house and we homeschool our children, yet I don't mind paying property tax for education in the same way I don't ride the bus and don't mind my local sales tax being used to pay to keep public transit running. *shrug*

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Rich Parsons, you may have mis-read a sentence above.

I am not a former police officer. PatMunk's profile lists his profession as 'retired police officer', so my statement was more a question to him, based on his experiences as a cop.

What you describe seems odd for a regular apartment. Although, it does not seem out-of-the-realm-of-possibilities for some 'Gated Communities'. I think some Gated Communities may function very much like private clubs. But, really, I have no experience in that.

Philosophically, I am opposed to Gated Communities. I am opposed to 'Active Adult Communitie (housing restricted to 55+ year old, no children). Voluntary segregation is an idea that is detrimental to our society, and should be persued only in the most dire of requirments.

ME, Sorry for the mis-read.

I have not lived in a gated community, it is just the way for the local police to not have to follow up on minor details. Although I was working with my sword on the Basketball court I walked back to my apartment and this car in the parking lot cruising by was in my way when I got close to the main door. He saw the sword and I saw that he hand a hand gun and a scanner listening to the police channel. Not legal in this state to have a mobile one. So, I went inside and called the police as he was asking the dispatcher as well the send out someone to investigate me. The dispatcher and officer laughed (* I heard over the phone via the speaker *) and they let it go. The officer was undercover looking for drugs.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
someguy said:
I have but one thing to say. Can any one give me an oreo please?
Personally I prefer the double stuffed kind... :D :D

not, that I'm greedy you understand...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
A report by the NNSA states that the cost of maintaining the U.S. nuclear arsenal is greater than the available budget and keeping old warheads is forcing the United States to retain an unnecessarily large atomic stockpile

The total annual cost for maintaining our nuclear arsenal is about $40 billion.

The separate annual cost for Stockpile Stewardship is $4.5 billion.

The separate annual cost of maintaining our 550 land-based ICBM’s is $3.4 billion.

Uh, how many oreo cookies is that?

Oh, yeah, about 5-just what he asked for,…..funny how that works.:lol:

I’ll note here that a lot of fat could be trimmed by paying some attention to what our nuclear profile should be, in this modern age, and the best ways to mothball some of those devices, so we could restore them if needed. Those figures don’t include maintaining our nuclear subs, or their missiles-and I think that those are, by far, the least obsolete and most sensible of our obscenities.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
elder999 said:
Those figures don’t include maintaining our nuclear subs, or their missiles-and I think that those are, by far, the least obsolete and most sensible of our obscenities.

Great observation! :asian:

TonyMac

Orange Belt
Reaction score
These figures don't include anything concerning nuclear energy. Those figures fall in the DOE budget regardless of use.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
TonyMac said:
These figures don't include anything concerning nuclear energy. Those figures fall in the DOE budget regardless of use.

No, you're mostly wrong there. Those figures don't include anything concerning nuclear energy because they are, simply, exactly what they say-totally for nuclear weapons-my field, btw.

Latest Discussions