Oreo Cookies...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Check out this flash animation created by Ben and Jerry's founder Ben Cohen.

Oreo Cookies

Thoughts?

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Check out this flash animation created by Ben and Jerry's founder Ben Cohen.

Oreo Cookies

Thoughts?

i think that's very true...
i do not feel much safer, but i definitely feel my back hurts when i drive on the freeway because of those huge halls!
and yeah, i felt that no school financial aid too!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Great stuffs here...makes sense too ......thank-you for sharing that...Aloha

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Anyone ever wonder why we have 40 oreos stacked so high and other people struggle to get even a fifth as high?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw this earlier but was at work so couldn't watch it so forgot about it until now.

I just got back from the store with oreos, found it, and remembered.

I haven't bought oreos in a very long time.

There's more going on here then they are being upfront about...

But seriously, you guys actually spend $400 billion on your armed forces? Shouldn't you be able to build real light sabers by now with that much going in?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
But seriously, you guys actually spend $400 billion on your armed forces? Shouldn't you be able to build real light sabers by now with that much going in?

Well, actually, I think you would find we spend more than the 40 cookies on our military.

Our current exercise to spread democracy in Iraq is not included in the 40 cookies.

Operation Iraqi Freedom continues to be funded with 'Supplementals'. This allows the Bush Administration to keep the total cost of the war out of the annual budget and, to be able to use Supplemental votes against any Congressperson who might vote against the Supplmental. It makes for very nice commercials at election time.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My opinion of this is that it is far too simplistic. The problems with education alone are far more complicated than in just the amount of money spent on it. There are a lot of factors, and while money may help some, there are certain things that just can't be solved until we deal with some major sacred cows.

That is just one example of something that leaves out some very important details and over simplifies the situation.

Did anyone notice the lack of a stack of cookies representing entitlement programs? Or the projected rise in their cost over the years? Someone in an article I recently read said that the biggest threat to US democracy is not China, but medicaid. Try figuring out how big the cookies will be in a few years and add that into the problem. :supcool:

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Even with the cost of entitlements figured in, the cost of our military budget is 50% of our entire federal budget. More now, once President Bush gets his way. He would like to increase it from 40 cookies to 70 cookies. Much of this is going to to weaponize space. They want to institute programs with names like "Rods from Gods" in order to acheive military power that is "nearly omnipotent." The bottom line is that we could easily cut in half the number of cookies our "defense" budget eats and still "defend" our country. Then we could give some major tax cuts, fix education, give health care to all of our citizens, and solve many of the worlds problems.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
My opinion of this is that it is far too simplistic. The problems with education alone are far more complicated than in just the amount of money spent on it.

As far as education goes, all I can say is that good education costs money. Educating kids from lower SES in order to bring them up costs even more money. All of the research shows that success is possible...all we need is the will to pay for it.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Uh, yes.... We did so well with all those cookies that we managed to stop all the attacks on our soil in the last ten years. I know, the 9-11 attacks were made by the Pentagon and not anyone else.

Oh, so throwing money at a problem is not the only way to solve it?

And we are going to deal with the rising cost of benifits how? And Medicare can be found in the constitution where? And what does the tenth ammendmant to the constitution say?

And the fact that nearly half of certain minorities drop out of school can be saved by money alone?

Again, things are a lot more complicated than some would like us to think. This type of thing might appeal to those that don't happen to think deeper than they have to. Which is a good portion of the populace now it seems.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, our economy in the U.S. is just as addicted to war as we are to foreign oil.

Jerry’s “$400 billion” is a little off, though……

• In 2003, the United States military budget reached $417.4 billion.

• That number equaled almost half (46 percent) of the combined military expenditures of the rest of the world.

• As we read this, the USA’s military expenditures are reaching or surpassing the amount of the combined expenditures of the rest of the world. (Read that again: we spend as much or more than our military than the rest of the governments of the world spend!)

• The American military-industrial complex is poised to monopolize the global armaments industry.

The Pentagon wants to close down a fraction of its bases. In response, U.S. senators insisted (as they routinely have) that they cannot close any military bases in their states because bases provide jobs and generate income for local economies ($42 billion a year, for instance, for California). Economic survival appears to depend on a perpetual state of arms manufacture and warfare. We cannot do without war. And if we cannot do without it, we are addicted to it.

Don Roley said:
Uh, yes.... We did so well with all those cookies that we managed to stop all the attacks on our soil in the last ten years. I know, the 9-11 attacks were made by the Pentagon and not anyone else.

Don, I don't mean to rile you, so I'm gonna ask exactly what you meant by this?

I mean, in the last ten years, we've had attacks on the Khobar Toawers in Saudi Arabia-which technically isn't our soil, but we've also had two simultaneous truck bombs that killed 224 at our embassies in Tanzania and Kenya, and an attack on our embassy in Karachi, Pakistan-a bomb that killed 12 in 2002-all three technically qualify as "U.S. soil," and I don't think you can substantiate that our military has thwarted any attacks on the continental U.S., Hawaii or Puerto Rico...

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
elder999 said:
Don, I don't mean to rile you, so I'm gonna ask exactly what you meant by this?

I mean, in the last ten years, we've had attacks on the Khobar Toawers in Saudi Arabia-which technically isn't our soil, but we've also had two simultaneous truck bombs that killed 224 at our embassies in Tanzania and Kenya, and an attack on our embassy in Karachi, Pakistan-a bomb that killed 12 in 2002-all three technically qualify as "U.S. soil," and I don't think you can substantiate that our military has thwarted any attacks on the continental U.S., Hawaii or Puerto Rico...

Well, my point is that the original animation seems to say that we would be fine with less in defense because the closest spenders are so far behind us. But as with your examples, there is a lot more factors involved. It is not just a matter of spending a little more than the next guy. The amount of things that need to be factored into the equasion would require a thread of its own.

As just one example, does North Korea really have to worry and spend resources against a possible threat from a biological weapon being developed in Pakistan? Think about the resources needed to search out that type of threat before it happens and have the means to do something about it. And that type of thing is something that America needs to do but not a country like China. It is just too simple a thing to think that if we spend more than anyone else we would automatically be ok.

I hope that makes it clearer.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don Roley said:

Oh, so throwing money at a problem is not the only way to solve it?

Yes, but it helps and it must happen first.

And we are going to deal with the rising cost of benifits how? And Medicare can be found in the constitution where? And what does the tenth ammendmant to the constitution say?

Tax the rich.

And the fact that nearly half of certain minorities drop out of school can be saved by money alone?

Yes. Successful programs now exist and only need money for expansion. for the cost of one cruise missile we can build one of these programs somewhere in our nation.

Again, things are a lot more complicated than some would like us to think. This type of thing might appeal to those that don't happen to think deeper than they have to. Which is a good portion of the populace now it seems.

One of the things that you don't see is the deep thought and research that went behind the reallocation of those cookies. Ya just gotta look a little deeper.

What this little animation shows is that America is addicted to war. We will do ANYTHING to get more, including false flag operations and deception. The ultimate cost of this militarism will be our country. I find it amazing that Dwight D. Eisenhower predicted all of this so long ago when he warned against the Military Industrial Congressional Complex. Here is another quote from this remarkable man, "when bombs come before the needs of people, we have lost our souls."

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:

One of the things that you don't see is the deep thought and research that went behind the reallocation of those cookies. Ya just gotta look a little deeper.

Nope-true as it all is, it has a decided left-wing bias, which Don has correctly pointed out by asking about "entitlement programs." Unfortunatley, though, those entitlement programs don't come anywhere near what we're spending on our "military," or even those other things that the cartoon advocates reallocating a tiny fraction of military spending for-that's important, Don, because they're not saying we should cut military spending to increase welfare.

The U.S. military budget request by the Bush Administration for Fiscal Year 2007 is $462.7 billion. (This includes the Defense Department budget, funding for the Department of Energy (which includes nuclear weapons) and “other” which the source does not define. It does not include other items such as money for the Afghan and Iraq wars—$50 billion for Fiscal Year 2007 and an extra $70 billion for FY 2006, on top of the $50 billion approved by Congress.)

For Fiscal Year 2006 it was $441.6 billion
For Fiscal Year 2005 it was $420.7 billion
For Fiscal Year 2004 it was $399.1 billion.
For Fiscal Year 2003 it was $396.1 billion.
For Fiscal Year 2002 it was $343.2 billion.
For Fiscal Year 2001 it was $305 billion. And Congress had increased that budget request to $310 billion.
This was up from approximately $288.8 billion, in 2000.

These figures typically do not include combat figures, so 2001 onwards, the Afghan war, and 2003 onwards, the Iraq war costs are not in this budget. As of early 2006, Congress had already approved an additional funding total of $300 billion for operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

When adjusted for inflation the request for 2007 together with that needed for nuclear weapons the 2007 spending request exceeds the average amount spent by the Pentagon during the Cold War, for a military that is one-third smaller than it was just over a decade ago.

upnorthkyosa said:
What this little animation shows is that America is addicted to war. We will do ANYTHING to get more, including false flag operations and deception. The ultimate cost of this militarism will be our country. I find it amazing that Dwight D. Eisenhower predicted all of this so long ago when he warned against the Military Industrial Congressional Complex. Here is another quote from this remarkable man, "when bombs come before the needs of people, we have lost our souls."

Economically addicted to war. I don't have time right now, but I can show later jsut how little of that $400 some-odd billion actually goes to pay for servicemen and their equipment, versus the massive arsenal of archaic obscenities whose restoration (sort of like you'd do with a '57Chevy) I was once responsible for.....
:soapbox: :rpo:

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The 'Entitlement Programs' are not part of our Federal Income Tax.

As long as the right can continue to propagate that belief, they can argue on that topic rather than address the gross amount we spend on military. Social Security and Medicare are not funded through the 'federal income tax'. Social Security and Medicare / Medicaid are funded through a separate revenue stream. This allows political slight of hand, where at any given point, we can use the word 'tax' to mean 'Income Tax' or we can use the word 'tax' to mean all federal reveue.

Changing the topic to 'Entitlement Programs' is like the magicians other hand; the one we don't watch.

" Don't pay any attention to the fact the United States spends 50% of all military funds on the planet. The man behind the curtian is not the Great and Powerful Oz".

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
anybody else follow the link to look into truemajority.org?

from their site, they seem pretty right on. anybody know anything more about them?
i did follow it
but i have to disagree with your statement that they seem right on. even if they represent 99% of this society I still think the 1% is much stronger. it's like yeah, we're majority but there's nothing we can do!

Latest Discussions