Opinions of Hung Gar Schools in MA

LanJie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on one or both of these Hung Gar Schools in Massachusetts.

Boston Academy of Martial Arts
495 Canton Ave.
Milton, Ma 02186
Sifu Wanda J. White

Wu Li Academy
Sifu Mike Showstack
Taught at
Mr. C's Kenpo Karate
650 Plymouth St 15r
East Bridgewater
Sifu Showstack is a long time student of Master Yon Lee

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. C posts here on MartialTalk, his username is "LawDog".

Personally, I think very highly of him and I've heard some good things about Sifu Mike Showstack. Unfortunately I don't train in Chinese systems so I can't speak first hand about what it is like to be in his class. I'd strongly recommend giving Sifu Showstack a call if you are interested in his class, I think you'll find him to be approachable and very knowledgeable.

I don't mean this in any way to be a slight against Sifu Wanda White...I just haven't had the opportunity to meet her or learn much about her school.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi LanJie - Welcome to MT.

I am not familiar with either of those schools so can't offer much. But if it's Hung Gar you're after, in addition to those two schools, you can also check out Calvin Chin's school in Newton Highlands. Not exactly South Shore, and maybe too much of a hassle to get to, but another option all the same.

Good luck.

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on one or both of these Hung Gar Schools in Massachusetts.

Boston Academy of Martial Arts
495 Canton Ave.
Milton, Ma 02186
Sifu Wanda J. White

Wu Li Academy
Sifu Mike Showstack
Taught at
Mr. C's Kenpo Karate
650 Plymouth St 15r
East Bridgewater
Sifu Showstack is a long time student of Master Yon Lee

I've never heard of either school, and I don't suggest learning Hung Gar from a kenpo/Kempo stylist either. Of all the Kenpo/Kempo people i've seen play CMA none play it right, they usually play the CMA like Kenpo/Kempo which is not correct. Donald Wong is a good Hung Kuen sifu and he teaches application, you should look for him. I heard he has a bigger school now.

jeff:)

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually Shifu Donald Wong teaches YI Quan and other internal arts at Nam Pais new school.

Shifu Larry Wong is one of the best Hung Gar teachers I have ever met. My wife used to train with them and cannot say enough about them.

To contact them visit:

http://www.nampaikungfu.com/

They have moved the school but you should be able to contact them at the above info.

be well,

Dale

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
actually Shifu Donald Wong teaches YI Quan and other internal arts at Nam Pais new school.

Shifu Larry Wong is one of the best Hung Gar teachers I have ever met. My wife used to train with them and cannot say enough about them.

To contact them visit:

http://www.nampaikungfu.com/

They have moved the school but you should be able to contact them at the above info.

be well,

Dale

Ahh, ok! I mixed their names up, yes Larry is a very good Hung Kuen teacher.

Dale, How are you doing?

Not sure if you remember me, jeff aka jmd161 or Jeff C. on most forums. We were supposed to meet up and we kept playing tag when I was in Boston. If all goes right I'll be relocating back to Boston sometime soon.

jeff:)

Latest Discussions