Which MA should I take to combine it with Hung Gar?

OP
Skaw

Skaw

White Belt
Reaction score
It's good that you're looking at a little time before doing something like that. But like I said, you need time & experience in it. This kinda illustrates what I was saying.

Everything judo would offer, is found in Hung Ga. Not exactly the same, not in the same quantity, not in the same manner but it's there. All TCMA's have four foundation pieces... Shuai (Throwing), Da (Striking), Ti (Kicking), Na (Controlling). How much of each piece is kinda dependent on the methods found with in the style & it's theories. However, they're all found, all practiced, all integrated to fit the method.

hopefully his school will cover the throwing and grappling aspects of the system. I

Yes, the school does. Normally we focus on striking (It's HG after all...) but last week we did a bit of Shuai and (Chin?) Na. Higher belts sashes do it more often as far I know.

Bjj or Judo would be better options.

The lack of forms and the grappling focus won't confuse your Hun Ga training. Also the heavy emphasis on sparring within those styles will do you some good in the long run.

Yes. If I train in another MA (not yet, I want to learn at least the HG fundations at least), a grappling MA would be a good choice for the reasons you pointed. In my area I have BJJ, Judo and Shuai Jiao, an art that will fit with Hung Gar I think.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Even though you aren't experienced, you're probably going to be the best judge of what will suit you. I think you need to go to all those places in your area and watch a multitude of classes. Go on the nights you don't train in Hung Gar and watch as many classes as you can. If you're really serious about a second style you should spend a couple months watching them all.

But I agree with a lot of what's already been said here, sticking to your one art might be the best way to go for a few years. I could tell you where I'd go (of the places you mentioned), but that would be for purely selfish reasons.They're all good, bro.

By the way, welcome to MT. :)

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, the school does. Normally we focus on striking (It's HG after all...) but last week we did a bit of Shuai and (Chin?) Na. Higher belts sashes do it more often as far I know.

Yes. If I train in another MA (not yet, I want to learn at least the HG fundations at least), a grappling MA would be a good choice for the reasons you pointed. In my area I have BJJ, Judo and Shuai Jiao, an art that will fit with Hung Gar I think.

I didn't realize there was a SJ school near you so I want to change my answer from judo to it if you ever decide to cross train for the simple reason that I think it will flow together seamlessly with HG more so than will judo

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Of those three, Bjj is more likely to be more comprehensive grappling-wise. Chokes, leg locks, ground work, takedowns, throws, wrist/joint locks, and striking should all be included in a good Bjj program. Judo and SJ will lack one or more of those elements by nature.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I started off with Jow Ga Kung Fu and Tai Chi at the same time and it wasn't a big issue for me. I actually use concepts out of Tai Chi to help make my Jow Ga stronger. Jow Ga and Hung Gar have both internal and external techniques so the Tai Chi fits in well. I want to learn Shuai jiao because it works well with kung fu in general and works well with Chin Na. From what I've seen in videos it both utilizes stances that I use in Jow Ga which means my punching stance can quickly be turned into a throw. For me BJJ wouldn't work well for me because Jow Ga says and BJJ stances are so different.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've got to ask again because I don't believe it was answered when I asked the first time: what does your Sifu say about it?

If you quit hung gar and go do something else, it's none of his business. But if you do hung gar and something else at the same time, it definitely is his business. If nothing else he will need to know why you are suddenly developing strange habits that are throwing your training off so he can help you stay on track with your hung gar.

So, what was his response when you discussed it with him? If you haven't, you need to.

If he is traditionally-minded and he finds out later (and he definitely will figure it out) that you did this without letting him know, that could be the end of your training with him.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I started off with Jow Ga Kung Fu and Tai Chi at the same time and it wasn't a big issue for me. I actually use concepts out of Tai Chi to help make my Jow Ga stronger. Jow Ga and Hung Gar have both internal and external techniques so the Tai Chi fits in well. I want to learn Shuai jiao because it works well with kung fu in general and works well with Chin Na. From what I've seen in videos it both utilizes stances that I use in Jow Ga which means my punching stance can quickly be turned into a throw. For me BJJ wouldn't work well for me because Jow Ga says and BJJ stances are so different.

There are no "stances" in Bjj. Almost every standing attack in Bjj comes off of a natural stance or a generic fighting stance. He can work standing Bjj off of his Hung Gar stances if he desires.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If he is traditionally-minded and he finds out later (and he definitely will figure it out) that you did this without letting him know, that could be the end of your training with him.
That's true. I've seen this happen before especially when the fighting system that the student wants to learn goes against the principles approach that are being taught. They take stuff like that really personal. It's in our student handbook that we can't take a second Martial Art unless we get his approval. It's like you say he'll definitely will figure it out.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are no "stances" in Bjj. Almost every standing attack in Bjj comes off of a natural stance or a generic fighting stance. He can work standing Bjj off of his Hung Gar stances if he desires.
Hung Gar doesn't have a "natural stance" or a generic fighting stance. With Hung Gar he's going to be in either a horse, bow, cat, or cross stance which are actually required in order for the technique to work. I have yet to see a BJJ practitioner fight from one of those stances. To be honest I think to do so would but the BJJ practitioner in a disadvantage for using BJJ.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hung Gar doesn't have a "natural stance" or a generic fighting stance. With Hung Gar he's going to be in either a horse, bow, cat, or cross stance which are actually required in order for the technique to work. I have yet to see a BJJ practitioner fight from one of those stances. To be honest I think to do so would but the BJJ practitioner in a disadvantage for using BJJ.

When I said "generic fighting stance" I was saying whatever fighting stance you happen to be in. Whether you're in a karate, boxing, Muay Thai, MMA, or Wrestling stances, you can pull off Bjj takedowns.

You don't typically see Bjj guys fighting from Hung Gar stances because its pretty rare for a Hung Gar person to cross train in Bjj.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You don't typically see Bjj guys fighting from Hung Gar stances because its pretty rare for a Hung Gar person to cross train in Bjj.

I can't imagine how anyone could arrive at this conclusion. I don't believe there are many hung gar schools, so to begin with, the body of students is much smaller than some other styles. Then, we would need to assume all the students are doing things where they are likely to be seen. I don't think any conclusions at all can be made about this. Other than, as far as you can tell, you havent seen it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I said "generic fighting stance" I was saying whatever fighting stance you happen to be in. Whether you're in a karate, boxing, Muay Thai, MMA, or Wrestling stances, you can pull off Bjj takedowns.

If you take BJJ then you can test your theory out. Do some BJJ sparring but instead of using the stances, footwork, and positioning used in BJJ, replace it with Hung Gar stances and footwork and let us know if the Hung Gar stances make BJJ techniques easier or more difficult to do.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you take BJJ then you can test your theory out. Do some BJJ sparring but instead of using the stances, footwork, and positioning used in BJJ, replace it with Hung Gar stances and footwork and let us know if the Hung Gar stances make BJJ techniques easier or more difficult to do.
Actually, I believe he would need to take some hung gar, as he is a proponent of BJJ.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've got to ask again because I don't believe it was answered when I asked the first time: what does your Sifu say about it?

If you quit hung gar and go do something else, it's none of his business. But if you do hung gar and something else at the same time, it definitely is his business. If nothing else he will need to know why you are suddenly developing strange habits that are throwing your training off so he can help you stay on track with your hung gar.

So, what was his response when you discussed it with him? If you haven't, you need to.

There might be some circumstances where jumping ship on a school would be seen as poor form.

But for the most part I can't support the attitude that your martial arts instructor. (The guy you pay for a service) has any say in what you do at other martial art schools.

I also find it unhelpful in progressing your own martial arts journey.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

By the way structurally parralel feet vs splayed. I talked to exercise guy. And structurally your feet should be in line with your knee. So if knees go out feet go out. Now knees go out so if you are to meet a kick on the leg. Bent knee towards the impact is the strongest way to meet that kick.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

So I looked up Hung Gar fighting because I wanted to see how someone practicing Hung Gar would fight utilizing their style. Not form work, but someone actually trying to punch them in the face. I found this vid;

That's Sharif Bey, a somewhat prominent Kung Fu teacher up against a MMA fighter.

Spoiler Alert: He gets KO'd.

Anyway, yeah, based on the footwork and stances shown in that clip, you can utilize Bjj from there.

Knowing a little Bjj might have helped poor ol' Sharif there when he got grappled up. :(

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So I looked up Hung Gar fighting because I wanted to see how someone practicing Hung Gar would fight utilizing their style. Not form work, but someone actually trying to punch them in the face. I found this vid;

That's Sharif Bey, a somewhat prominent Kung Fu teacher up against a MMA fighter.

Spoiler Alert: He gets KO'd.

Anyway, yeah, based on the footwork and stances shown in that clip, you can utilize Bjj from there.

Knowing a little Bjj might have helped poor ol' Sharif there when he got grappled up. :(
Yeah that was a sad day for the Hung Gar folks. I saw the video shortly after it came out and there are a lot of unhappy people about that video because nothing he did was representative of Hung Gar. He didn't do any kung fu stances so don't go by that video. He actually didn't even use any Hung Gar techniques other than that basic kick, which is why it was such a "sad day" because now people like you will look at the video and assume that's Hung Gar and it's not. I don't do Hung Gar but my fighting system has Hung Gar techniques in it and you've actually seen videos of me do more Hung Gar than he did.

What the video does show is someone who knows the Hung Gar techniques but doesn't know how to apply those techniques in actual sparring. If he actually does know how to use Hung Gar in a fight then he should have done so because he had a lot on the line especially with the recognition he has /had. You can tell how much he represented by the comments for that video.

The one thing that I do know without a doubt. Nothing in that video is representative of Hung Gar or the stances. If you use this to determine if BJJ can be used with Hung Gar then you would be wrong.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah that was a sad day for the Hung Gar folks. I saw the video shortly after it came out and there are a lot of unhappy people about that video because nothing he did was representative of Hung Gar. He didn't do any kung fu stances so don't go by that video. He actually didn't even use any Hung Gar techniques other than that basic kick, which is why it was such a "sad day" because now people like you will look at the video and assume that's Hung Gar and it's not. I don't do Hung Gar but my fighting system has Hung Gar techniques in it and you've actually seen videos of me do more Hung Gar than he did.

What the video does show is someone who knows the Hung Gar techniques but doesn't know how to apply those techniques in actual sparring. If he actually does know how to use Hung Gar in a fight then he should have done so because he had a lot on the line especially with the recognition he has /had. You can tell how much he represented by the comments for that video.

Well yes he did. He fought some no-name kid whose MMA didn't look great at all. I know that Bey is a HG master who also trains amateur fighters, so it's a bit puzzling that he fought the way he did. I was hoping that at least the stances and footwork resembled combat level HG.

Let that be a lesson to the OP; Learn Bjj so that if you get knocked down you know how to get back up again. This Sifu stood right up while his opponent was standing over him and got cold clocked in the face.

The one thing that I do know without a doubt. Nothing in that video is representative of Hung Gar or the stances. If you use this to determine if BJJ can be used with Hung Gar then you would be wrong.

Pity. Well back to square one. :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There might be some circumstances where jumping ship on a school would be seen as poor form.

But for the most part I can't support the attitude that your martial arts instructor. (The guy you pay for a service) has any say in what you do at other martial art schools.

I also find it unhelpful in progressing your own martial arts journey.
That's fine. You are welcome to feel about it however you wish. And a lot depends on the instructor and how he feels about things. But just because it doesn't meet you approval, isn't going to change it. If you don't like it, or cannot tolerate it, then you should not train in a traditional system with a traditional sifu. There is something for everyone, and it's not all the same.

And of course he has a say in what you do outside of class. He can decide to not teach you, for whatever reason he wants. That goes for pretty much any school and any instructor, regardless.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well yes he did. He fought some no-name kid whose MMA didn't look great at all. I know that Bey is a HG master who also trains amateur fighters, so it's a bit puzzling that he fought the way he did. I was hoping that at least the stances and footwork resembled combat level HG.

Let that be a lesson to the OP; Learn Bjj so that if you get knocked down you know how to get back up again. This Sifu stood right up while his opponent was standing over him and got cold clocked in the face.

Pity. Well back to square one. :)
The fight was confusing to me because I couldn't tell if it was a friendly match or a challenge fight.

Either way I hope I never have to eat a "humble pie" that big lol. Here's the same guy.