open hands vs clenched hands

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whe I do self defense techs I use open hands, don't like to use clenched (closed like fist) hands because I am a guy who likes to grab. I use to grab my oponent to unbalance him and get close to deliver a hard blow and then take ihim down and finish him, that's the way I practice self defense.

What do you think of?

Manny

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
It all depends on the tactical situation, really. I prefer fists as my default, because it protects my fingers. Of course, if there is an opportunity, I can quickly open my hands to grapple. My thinking is to prevent injury. Fingers break easily! I along with countless others suffered broken fingers from working out in the dojang. A street fight is going to be a lot more rough. I do like your method, but remember sometimes our favorite method does not always work. We have to know alternatives.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whe I do self defense techs I use open hands, don't like to use clenched (closed like fist) hands because I am a guy who likes to grab. I use to grab my oponent to unbalance him and get close to deliver a hard blow and then take ihim down and finish him, that's the way I practice self defense.

What do you think of?

Manny

Here are my thoughts:

• Closed hand runs the risk of self injury i.e. boxers fracture. This will limit options concerning manual dexterity i.e. operating a cell phone to call for help, accessing and operating a firearm (both in firing, loading, reloading and clearing a malfunction), using a concealed or improvised weapon or something as 'simple' as using keys to lock a door or start a car. In short, it limits SD options depending upon the severity of the self injury.
  • An open wound i.e. cutting your knuckles on their teeth/bone structure now opens you up to blood borne pathogen.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can still catch and break your fingers either palm heeling through a guard or grabbing clothes and having them get caught up.

You can still break your wrist if they move and the hand catches them wrong.

And slapping a guy still hurts if your not used to it.

But it is about comfort I use a bit of both. I feel more comfortable punching than handing and so if I am serious I will punch. But I do hand to avoid cutting the other guy.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Like you Manny I like to use more open hand when it comes to self defense, but I also work the closed fist as well just to cover all my bases.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little historical tidbit to toss in for consideration, WWII combatives (Fairbairn, Applegate, Nelson, O'Neill, Cestari etc) always employed open hand strikes (EOH {edge of hand} and palm heel {chin jab/tiger claw}). The reason was two-fold; they didn't want the soldier to injure the hand (which would affect the use of the rifle/grenade) and because they were very powerful, particularly to the areas trained (brachial plexus and chin).

As far as effective, simplistic, gross motor skilled self defense...you are going to have a hard time finding something better than WWII combatives. The other big benefit of WWII combatives was that it was retained in long term memory, sometimes for decades even when training had stopped.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Today few people "Condition" there fists for striking hard surfaces. Without such conditioning punching hard surfaces would likely result in injury.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today few people "Condition" there fists for striking hard surfaces. Without such conditioning punching hard surfaces would likely result in injury.

Very true. It seems like hand or even other body part conditioning (legs, shins, forearms, torso etc) is getting rarer these days.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you're right, Manny. Hands are far more delicate than heads. The reason head gear was developed was not for the protection of the head, it was for protection of the fighter's hands.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you're right, Manny. Hands are far more delicate than heads. The reason head gear was developed was not for the protection of the head, it was for protection of the fighter's hands.

Sorry what now?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

The reason HAND gear was developed ...

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, both Buka AND Earl are correct. Head gear was developed to protect BOTH the head and hands, just as hand gear was designed for both. The head is hard, we all know that. And a fight, whether in the ring or a back alley is a chaotic, dynamic event. Even professional boxers injure their hands with heavy gloves and tape. And they bust their hands during things like bar fights (read Mike Tyson). This is why WWII combatives used open hand strikes. Just as powerful and safer overall.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, both Buka AND Earl are correct. Head gear was developed to protect BOTH the head and hands, just as hand gear was designed for both. The head is hard, we all know that. And a fight, whether in the ring or a back alley is a chaotic, dynamic event. Even professional boxers injure their hands with heavy gloves and tape. And they bust their hands during things like bar fights (read Mike Tyson). This is why WWII combatives used open hand strikes. Just as powerful and safer overall.

My grandfather was one of them. He said, slap the face and punch the gut.

Thousand Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lets's be honest here. Anytime you throw a hand technique with intent to caust harm there is a chance you will injure yourself in the process (open hand or closed hand). The risk of cuts is the same if you inadvertently hit the teeth. The risk of damaging a knuckle or breaking the bone along the back of the hand is present in the process of a clenched fist strike if you inadvertently hit the top of the head or an extremely hard surface. The risk of damaging your wrist or fingers is present if you catch against something in the process of an open hand strike.

Striking with an open hand may allow you to transition into grappling easier, but grappling gives your opponent additional opportunities to counter.

I say train using both methods. In a live fight you aren't thinking per se, your training and muscle memory takes over. The more techniques you have in the bag, the better your odds at coming up with something that will get you out of the situation.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So does anybody have a source for this idea that headgear is designed to protect the hands?

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've heard that, at least in TKD circles, a big reason for headgear was to prevent the head from banging into the floor when someone fell or got knocked out.

Sent from my SHV-E210K using Tapatalk