Open carry misfortune

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well cops alot of times have snatch resistant holsters, bullet proof vest, two-ways, and partners.

But yea, if I really wanted a gun, some of the smaller cops would be on the menu.

Deaf
And again 10% of officers murdered are murdered in exactly that fashion.....in any fight a cop is in, there is ALWAYS a weapon.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And again 10% of officers murdered are murdered in exactly that fashion.....in any fight a cop is in, there is ALWAYS a weapon.

Yes but it's unheard of to stalk a officer for that reason!

Deaf

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone would open carry in an urban/suburban area, that is for sure.

However, I do open carry when out working/playing in the woods. I also open carry on my own property (we live in a very rural area). I certainly think that there is room to do this while hunting/fishing/hiking in the great outdoors w/o being labeled as stupid with a blanket statement.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No doubt punisher. I have no doubt it's been done, especially in countries with a rebellion going on. And if times get tougher here, it might become more common.

Deaf

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone would open carry in an urban/suburban area, that is for sure.

However, I do open carry when out working/playing in the woods. I also open carry on my own property (we live in a very rural area). I certainly think that there is room to do this while hunting/fishing/hiking in the great outdoors w/o being labeled as stupid with a blanket statement.

No, I agree, there's nothing wrong with slapping on the Smith and Wesson .500 in bear country......it's not like the bears are going to jump up and disarm you (well, they might try to dis-arm you, but...)....the issue, though, is why you're carrying the gun......personal protection from bears, hunting.......or keeping to ward off human predators.

At the end of the day it's better to be armed either way generally, in my opinion......but if I can keep the other guy from seeing my hand, i'd prefer that....IMHO

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
True, generally......though 10% of officers murdered in the line of do are murdered with their own weapon.

I've read that also SgtMac, but I would venture to say that was after a struggle of trying to apprehend someone or simular situations, just for someone to say jump on a LEO, I haven't heard to many of those stories to get their guns.

That was my only point.

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
sgtmac wrote:
the issue, though, is why you're carrying the gun......personal protection from bears, hunting.......or keeping to ward off human predators.

Mostly when out and about it's for bears. Mostly they are unseen/never-seen, but it's the mama bear with cubs that worries me. Cubs at times will run right-in where they shouldn't, and mama will go right-in after to protect them. Sometimes in the summer, I find bear scat in our back pasture, within 100 yds of the house.

Probably the biggest opportunity for us to meet the bears is when we are out picking berries, or fishing in the spring. If I am in an area that is frequented by a lot of people I do CCW, but for the most part, when I'm out in the woods, I open carry.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes but it's unheard of to stalk a officer for that reason!

Deaf

I'm sitting here watching this ridiculous action flick called "crank" on cable. It's silly and violent and sex filled and foul. And right in the middle of the movie, the hero sneaks up on a cop from behind and grabs his gun in broad daylight.

Art imitating life?

-Rob

AzQkr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I open carry often enough out here in Az. I work a gun shop couple days a week and open carry to and from the shop and in the shop all day. I'm faster in open carry mode by over 1/2 second should an attempt be made to take us down by bangers coming in the door; and open carry in the shop actually prevented an attempted take down of the register by three young bangers who were packin under their shirts when questioned about their intent while my hand was conveniently placed in close proximity to the firearm they could see.

I wouldn't carry openly going into some area where there was a crowd, retention could be problematic if someone wanted to get froggy and test the waters, pretty easy to lose it I'd think in that situation.

If you don't have a physical presence and are small and light, you might invite an attempted take away, on the other hand I think if you have project a physical presence and awareness and not lax in letting people get close enough to make an attempt, I don't think it's much of a possibility, certainly a possibility, but not a high probability.

Couple that with the BUG they don't see in the back pocket and some training in retention and martial skills, I'd think most situations could be handled if you have any skills at all if someone got stupid and tried it.

Brownie

wimwag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We've discussed open carry in the past and I've made no secret of the fact that I think it's stupid...

Regardless of your personal feelings on the issue, I think it's safe to say that this guy definitely should have kept his piece hidden.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/reports/reports2006/073106robNewtonPatton.htm

When carrying any weapon, you need to keep a higher situational awareness, even more so when you carry it openly. Being someone who openly carries daily (more comfortable for me) except in the winter or rain, I don't let anybody anywhere near my strong side and am always looking behind my back. When you first start carrying, you get pretty inventive in terms of looking at what's behind you.

Though if you conceal, you could be subject to a robbery too, especially if "printing."

wimwag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Again, that's a bit of a different situation than open carry in public.

It's like some other poster said, I'm waiting to hear of the advantages to open carry that outweigh the disadvantages and haven't heard it yet. *shrug*

We could compare that statement to George Zimmerman's experience concealing. The "element of surprise" was Trayvon's and according to Zimmerman, Trayvon saw it and went for it. Sure, Zimmerman surprised Martin with a double tap, but that's after he was already victimized. Besides police officers losing their guns when they aren't paying attention to their surroundings, this is the only incidence I have ever heard of an open carrier losing his gun.

Armed is armed and no matter how you do it, at least you are taking the initiative. You alone are responsible for your own safety.

Latest Discussions