Learning Martial Arts on DVD/Video

K

KenpoNoChikara

What is your opinion on learning a martial art entirly from a video course? I have seen several different ones that advertise stuff such as "Get Your Black In The Comfort Of Your Own Home" etc. I think they would be good as a supplement to a training program. Or if you have no dojos in your area. What do you guys think?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You need people to train with, otherwise all you are doing is a dance that will get you laughed at on the dance floor ;)

and the earn it at home thing...

Benefits both party's. They also earn a good sum of cash "teaching" you by watching soap operas in there undies with a big bag of dorritos.

OP
M

Mark Weiser

Well here it goes lol.

Distance Learning was designed for those that could not find an Instructor that lived nearby that had a school of the MA of your choice.

The only other option is too spend lots of money and or time in travel expenses going to and from a school that trains in the Art of your choice.

This is not viable for some due to fiscal resources one has and or other commitments to family and jobs. Therefore I am an advocate of Training via Video or DVD for those whom love a MA but can not find a local teacher.

The other option which is coming down the pipe due to technology is live video feeds from an Instructor to a student via the Internet and a web camera or camcorder. Or you can go and get chat software that allows you to go to a room and share Video Conferencing and you can set class times and dates or seminars this way.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that would be a good intentioned one, but most of the ones I've seen seem to be more about a easy way to make some extra cash.

YOU NEED TRAINING PARTNERS

if your videos stress that then you might have something. If they show you stances and punching air, don't bother.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This topic has been covered quite a few times on this forum, but I'll give my 2 cents anyway.

Pretty much agree with the things that were said already. Its always best to have a live instructor to train with. Videos will not show you the fine points and if its an art that you're not familiar with, it may be hard to follow along. I think that they are great as a supplement in addition to regular training. I have a few BJJ tapes that I use as a ref. point, but I also have people that I train BJJ with.

Mike

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
YOU NEED TRAINING PARTNERS

If agree, maybe even more importantly for beginner like myself, you don’t wont to go home and practise something until 'you think' you have it right only to stand in front of some and be told that you are totally wrong!!
I think DVD's can supplement, maybe give some new idea's to try out at the Dojo, but I think you could only go so far on them alone.

OP
K

KenpoNoChikara

Mark Weiser said:
The other option which is coming down the pipe due to technology is live video feeds from an Instructor to a student via the Internet and a web camera or camcorder. Or you can go and get chat software that allows you to go to a room and share Video Conferencing and you can set class times and dates or seminars this way.
wow, thats really something, Ive heard of some bigger schools trying that out. You could train on vaction if you wanted too!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The problem with videos (and books) is the 2 dimentional nature of the beast. If your sole means of learning is video/books you will miss out on alot of the nuances of the art. Positioning, angles, etc are often missed. The more complex the art, the more important such things are.

Every art that I've studied, either seriously or just casually, the instructors have fixed stances, foot positioning, arm and wrist positioning, angles on blocks, etc.

You just don't get that kind of feedback from videos, and it is very important.

As was said, it is the difference between just dancing, and developing a good fighting style.

OP
J

jdam76

Along the same lines....in many arts, it is a game of inches. 3 inches to the left or the right with your hand or foot etc., can make or break the technique. Thats something the videos or books just cant give you.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Using a videotape for reference is fine but to try and learn a whole system off it it may be a little interesting. The videotape cannot show you the finer points of the techniques.

OP
K

KenpoNoChikara

MJS said:
This topic has been covered quite a few times on this forum, but I'll give my 2 cents anyway.

Mike
Opps....(insert embarressed smiley)

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, here are my two pennys. I am not against learning from DVD's or having a live instructor. Let's go back in time when the arts started. If I recall, didn't they all learn from scrolls or ancient scripts that were passed on from generations past? Look at some of the old kung-fu movies. I have this one movie where they were learning the Tiger Style and other animal forms from a book! How different is that from a video or manual??? Now, I do admit that once they read the scrolls or scripts, they practiced on a partner. So, I am not for one or the other. I just believe that people should not criticize something that was done long ago in temples.

Alright now, dont beat me up.:uhoh:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One art that I ALWAYS wanted to learn was Hapkido. There is no such dojangs here, so I thought about training via videos. I do train in a real dojang (TKD), so I can get advice elsewhere (other than the videos) and my boyfriend can be my "dummy" (he trains too and is always willing to learn other stuff). But I don't trust some of these adds about training through email/video/ect. I don't wanna end up loosing money for a fake rank. If I can find a ligit instructor to study that way from, I'm all for it. But that's the problem. Finding a ligit instructor that is willing to give you quality instruction. Despite the limitations, that is.

But I wouldn't advise it if you are a total beginner. You need to learn the basics for a few years under a qualified instructor. That will curb any bad techniques that might come up. They will be able to show you the proper way to punch, kick, ect so you A) don't get hurt by doing it wrong, B) learn the right way the first time.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Like others mentioned, I think they can be good for reference, but not the ideal way to learn. Someone who's already got some MA training can probably pick up more from a book or video than a beginner can, but they still might not be able to read everything properly. They're useful, but the big disadvantage is that you can't get corrections from a book or video. A teacher can fix your stances and moves and stuff if he/she sees you're doing it wrong. When you're copying from a book or video, you don't get that and if you learn it wrong to begin with, you'll end up with a bad habit that's very difficult to break should you get to learn from someone later. If they're the *only* way you can learn, well, I guess the debate becomes is it better to learn something, possibly poorly, or not to learn anything at all? I'm not sure I have a good answer for that.

Gray Phoenix

Green Belt
Reaction score
Details and intricasies of various arts can only be taught when you screw up and ask for help. There aint enough room on any DVD to say all that needs to be said.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
masherdong said:
Ok, here are my two pennys. I am not against learning from DVD's or having a live instructor. Let's go back in time when the arts started. If I recall, didn't they all learn from scrolls or ancient scripts that were passed on from generations past? Look at some of the old kung-fu movies. I have this one movie where they were learning the Tiger Style and other animal forms from a book! How different is that from a video or manual??? Now, I do admit that once they read the scrolls or scripts, they practiced on a partner. So, I am not for one or the other. I just believe that people should not criticize something that was done long ago in temples.

Alright now, dont beat me up.:uhoh:

I would not draw on old kung fu movies as history, the arts were passed on from teacher to student, not scroll to student. The scrolls/books were just reminders of that material, not the teaching implement, no different than the notebook I have in my locker. I wouldn't want to try to learn from my notebook no matter how much time I have spent trying to write down what I have learned.

Lamont

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kelly keltner said:
good for reference material, Bad if they are you're only method of recieving instruction.
Nothing else to add, this says it all..

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
The problem with videos (and books) is the 2 dimentional nature of the beast. If your sole means of learning is video/books you will miss out on alot of the nuances of the art. Positioning, angles, etc are often missed. The more complex the art, the more important such things are.

Every art that I've studied, either seriously or just casually, the instructors have fixed stances, foot positioning, arm and wrist positioning, angles on blocks, etc.

You just don't get that kind of feedback from videos, and it is very important.

As was said, it is the difference between just dancing, and developing a good fighting style.
I like this.

However, I think books and vids are just a commercial means for financial gains.

I have many books (over 150-counting) for the sake of collection. Most given to me as a gift.
But vids in the form of movies only.