One year...what should I do?

mber

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a dilemma and I'd love to have your input.

I recently relocated, and I'm anxious to delve back in to martial arts. Problem is, I'm here for only a year, and then will be moving on. I really, really don't want to lose martial arts from my life, but making a "commitment" for just under a year seems like a joke. Should I just join a gym and practice on my own?

If I do go with martial arts, the options here are limited to TKD and American Kenpo, both outside my background. I'm more than willing to learn something new, but uncertain which path to choose.

Suggestions? I'd be grateful for any advice!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many of our students don't stay for much longer than two years some are only with us for months due to the nature of their careers, they all though feel happy about making a commitment to the gym as they will to all the gyms they will go to in the years to come. The children who train with us also don't stay long and will probably on average train is as many as five different arts if they continue in martial arts, (they will also change academic schools at least five six times in their lives).
Staying with one style/gym/club for a lifetime would be lovely but not practical for most of our students so they make the best of the time they have anywhere. I suggest that you find a place you like, explain the circumstances and then enjoy training. If it's something different from your usual style look at it as exploring, you may learn something useful for your main style or you may just have some fun. It won't be a loss whatever.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a dilemma and I'd love to have your input.

I recently relocated, and I'm anxious to delve back in to martial arts. Problem is, I'm here for only a year, and then will be moving on. I really, really don't want to lose martial arts from my life, but making a "commitment" for just under a year seems like a joke. Should I just join a gym and practice on my own?

If I do go with martial arts, the options here are limited to TKD and American Kenpo, both outside my background. I'm more than willing to learn something new, but uncertain which path to choose.

Suggestions? I'd be grateful for any advice!
Christ, you're kidding right? Just kidding, I know you are sincere. But [almost] a year is actually a lot of time to be able to get some great stuff out of a martial art, and there will be things from it you may be able to take with you on your MA journey when you are back to a more stable/long term location and club.

I have trained just one day or a week at clubs while travelling/on business and there is always a benefit to this.

I would not worry at all, it may be seen as polite to let the owner/coach know that you will only be there for a year but that's also your call if you want to let them know that. I would dive in and join up and get on with keeping on with the training.

If you have no background in TKD or Kenpo, what was the style you used to do, was it striking/stand up or grappling/judo?

I did TKD through high school and loved it but left because it was not enough contact for me and wanted to also focus more on hand skills (striking and blocking), which in my view are lacking from main stream TKD clubs, that said you can work on getting your kicks to A1 level and pick up some flashy ones just for fun. I have no experience in training in Kenpo but have mixed it up and sparred with two mates who did kenpo. They were good stand up fighters, with good kicks and both were quite "hard" fighters, I don't know if that is indicative of kenpo or its training but they seemed as willing to go intense as to hard karate and kyokoshin levels. From sparring with my kenpo mates and from my years of TKD, both styles are grossly lacking in any take down or ground work or an appreciation of blocking or negating takedowns. But hey, that is what it is.

I hhope you have a fun year!!

OP
M

mber

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Christ, you're kidding right? Just kidding, I know you are sincere. But [almost] a year is actually a lot of time to be able to get some great stuff out of a martial art, and there will be things from it you may be able to take with you on your MA journey when you are back to a more stable/long term location and club.

I have trained just one day or a week at clubs while travelling/on business and there is always a benefit to this.

I would not worry at all, it may be seen as polite to let the owner/coach know that you will only be there for a year but that's also your call if you want to let them know that. I would dive in and join up and get on with keeping on with the training.

If you have no background in TKD or Kenpo, what was the style you used to do, was it striking/stand up or grappling/judo?

I did TKD through high school and loved it but left because it was not enough contact for me and wanted to also focus more on hand skills (striking and blocking), which in my view are lacking from main stream TKD clubs, that said you can work on getting your kicks to A1 level and pick up some flashy ones just for fun. I have no experience in training in Kenpo but have mixed it up and sparred with two mates who did kenpo. They were good stand up fighters, with good kicks and both were quite "hard" fighters, I don't know if that is indicative of kenpo or its training but they seemed as willing to go intense as to hard karate and kyokoshin levels. From sparring with my kenpo mates and from my years of TKD, both styles are grossly lacking in any take down or ground work or an appreciation of blocking or negating takedowns. But hey, that is what it is.

I hhope you have a fun year!!

I studied Tang Soo Do extensively, and have some experience in Aikido and Jiu Jitsu as well.

Your perspective is refreshing, and I'm glad to hear that it's not a negative to do this -- and even could be a positive. What you say about TKD is interesting; I encountered that in TSD as well, but yeah, at some point training is training and it's great to learn most styles, imo!
Choices, choices...we'll see. Thanks for your help!

The Great Gigsy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As others have already said go for it. A year is more than enough time to gain a solid grasp of a style and who knows wherever you find yourself next may offer the same art and you can continue if it's something you find you enjoy.